Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the heat pump also cools and warms up the battery, that will at least make supercharging and DC fast charging even more efficient. As it is now the car used the motor stators to heat up the battery which took about 4kW on the RWD models and 7.5kW on the AWD Models which on 50kW was more than 10% loss in addition to the cable heat loss. On Supercharger it is still about 5% extra loss or let's say 140 instead of 147kW max on 150kW.
So that will save money and time, especially in Europe or in cold climates. That is a far bigger benefit.

Wow, a lot of information on heat pumps can be found on google. Might check a few pages out first and then ask any questions here that you missed.

A lot of other EV’s use them as well as residences. My sister lives in Phoenix and doesn’t have a traditional heater, it’s just a heat pump. In layman’s terms it works in reverse to provide heat.

Reactions: Lobstahz
that is exactly what you do - once they assign your VIN, you should be able to see it on your TESLA account. Make sure the 10th digit is an "M" as that will define if its a 2020 or 2021 model.

the one's leaving fremont facility now are headed your way, so you may be in luck to be one of the first!

Got assigned VIN today but still an L.

My Tesla contact worked fast, too fast that got me matched with a VIN in one day after texting him that I would like to revive my sleeping order once I heard these refresh items - expecting to get VIN assigned 5-8 weeks per the delivery timeline for California.

Is there a chance that this L VIN has been refreshed too? Or not...:(

5YJ3E1EC6LF807XXX

My Tesla contact worked fast, too fast that got me matched with a VIN in one day after texting him that I would like to revive my sleeping order once I heard these refresh items - expecting to get VIN assigned 5-8 weeks per the delivery timeline for California.

5YJ3E1EC6LF807XXX
Chances are slim to none, I would reach out to them and have it unassigned.

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Please, people, for the nth time, Model 3 is not getting double pane glass. This is double pane glass:

OIP.rmqiXUUwQYaA8Crcjir3JgHaHA

Model 3 will get laminated glass like this:

OIP.BHsd89sWd5olyu-m5XayFgHaFj

Two pieces of glass with a polymer sandwich holding them together. Makes the glass shatter proof and greatly reduces sound transmission.

Which parts of the existing Model 3 aren't already laminated? The windscreen certainly is...

5YJ3E1EC6LF807XXX

it all depends how soon you need the vehicle....I’m comfortable waiting 5-9 weeks as my current lease is over 12/2/20

Since you have a VIN with L, it’s definitely a 2020 model built in September...there are plenty left over just sitting in lots

the only issue I now have are the wheels...those photos being passed around look like the new 19” rims and there is no way I’m going to pay $1500 for them (even if they increase range a few miles)

At this price point, I’m more about aesthetics than 10 miles

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
I thought laminate was standard part of all "safety glass" on all modern cars.
Laminated glass - Wikipedia

Maybe Tesla is considering "double glazing" like on some Mercedes? Double glazing and road noise
Windshields must be laminated. Most automotive side and rear windows are tempered glass, a very strong single layer that, when struck hard enough, or even just sharply at a corner, will break into thousands of little cubes of glass.

Generally it's just the windshield, and often times the rear window, that are laminated. Side windows usually are not.

This is my driver side window glass:
glass1.png

Decoding Your Car's Windshield | Glass.com
U.S. federal regulations require that glass pass certain safety tests. AS1 glass passes them all, AS2 does not pass all the impact tests... Since AS1 is the only glass to pass all safety tests, it is the only glass allowed for windshield use.
Yeah, so it looks like my side glass is NOT laminated and not as safe as the AS1 windshield glass.

The E with a circle around it may be displayed if the product is also distributed in Europe. You may also see “CCC” with a circle around it if the product is distributed to China. Both of these markings carry similar meanings to US’s AS1 safety rating. The long number next to the E which reads “43R-004530” also pertains to European distribution. The first section, “43R”, indicates the part conforms to European standard of safety regulation number 43. The set of numbers that follows, “004530”, is the approval number assigned to the part.

• Informative
Reactions: MJP.P3D-
Thanks @TEG — assuming that Tesla does change the side glazing to the two-layer, laminated variety for its better acoustic properties, is it safe to assume that this glass will carry the AS1 designation and thus add a measure of improved safety as well?