Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is 5-8 weeks an accurate estimate for NJ? I have an order in for an M3, but I'm in the position where my old car was totaled last week, and I have to return my rental car this Tuesday. I have to figure out what to do about a car in the mean time if I have to wait it out for 1-2 months. I was going to pick up something from local inventory, but all M3 SR+ are gone in our area.

I know there has been a lot of buzz around the 3 refresh. Someone else got an email from the Tesla store and the sales rep provided them with a list of all of the updates. I know a lot have already been documented, but here goes:

Interior Upgrades:
  • Sill plates are now satin black to match the exterior trim
  • Seat controls have a graphite finish and the scroll wheels on the steering wheel are metalized
  • The sun visors magnetically snap into place
  • Matte black replaces gloss black throughout the interior including the door release and window buttons
  • Redesigned center console featuring fixed inductive charging mats for two smartphones wrapped in luxurious micro suede
  • Updated front compartment with a sliding lid similar to in S and X
  • Two high-powered USB-C ports in the front compartment
  • Added a fifth USB port to Model 3, located in the glove compartment
  • Model Y heat pump added to Model 3
Exterior Upgrades:
  • Side repeaters, door handles, and bright work surrounding the windows have gone from chrome to satin black
  • The new 18” aero and 19” sport wheels have sharper edges
  • Model 3 Performance now sits on 20” Uberturbine wheel
  • Power lift gate

So do we think the headlight changes and heated steering wheel are in this refresh?

Reactions: JeffnReno
Overall, I am loving all of the changes. I also hope that the UK is an early delivery destination as it would be great to get this soon and be one of the early market drop-offs. My order is still showing as estimated delivery -

Yep, blank. Does this mean I am way at the back of the queue? I ordered on 5 October and paid my deposit, but only loaded my license in this Monday 12 October - was trying to hold off to guarantee the new model. Maybe I held off too long and will have to wait a while for my VIN allocation and delivery

In the Toronto area. I placed my order online on Oct 1 for a SR+, and my account still shows the old version. However, I called my SA today and he confirmed I haven't been matched with a vehicle yet, and that it's scheduled to start production in about 2 weeks, and stated quite definitively that I will get a refreshed Model 3. Delivery is most likely by late Nov.

I'm wondering about the previous comment that SR+s won't receive the heat pump, which would suck, but I didn't ask him since I didn't think he'd have that level of detail anyway. If anyone has more info on this, that would be great.

I spoke to the service department who just watched the educational video this morning and they say the heat pump and all changes apply to ALL models.

Same here! The more I think about it, the more it would make sense for an upgrade like the heat pump to replace the current HVAC system across all trims of the Model 3. I'm no expert in logistics/supply chains but I can't imagine it would make a whole lot of sense to keep both HVAC configurations in production, only to piss off customers with slightly less free cash flow.
I 100% agree. Elon is so big on efficiency of manufacturing it would only make sense.
I spoke to the service department who just watched the educational video this morning and they say the heat pump and all changes apply to ALL models.
Awesome! Thank you for the information, that's really reassuring.

Is 5-8 weeks an accurate estimate for NJ? I have an order in for an M3, but I'm in the position where my old car was totaled last week, and I have to return my rental car this Tuesday. I have to figure out what to do about a car in the mean time if I have to wait it out for 1-2 months. I was going to pick up something from local inventory, but all M3 SR+ are gone in our area.
I'm new to this but I would say so, I have a similar estimate in MA with nothing in inventory. I read somewhere on here that they start with East Coast deliveries first so hopefully we'll be in the 5 or 6 week range rather than the 8.

There is a guy in a different EV facebook group that says he works for a supplier that supplies interior door panels to Tesla. He says a new design is not going into production until after the first of the year for the 3 and that the Y will follow.

Its a random guy on facebook so take that for what it is, but seems like more changes will come as the year progresses. Perhaps we will see a dark headliner at that time.

There is a guy in a different EV facebook group that says he works for a supplier that supplies interior door panels to Tesla. He says a new design is not going into production until after the first of the year for the 3 and that the Y will follow.

Its a random guy on facebook so take that for what it is, but seems like more changes will come as the year progresses. Perhaps we will see a dark headliner at that time.

Means we all should order our M3 now and don`t wait for any of those upgrades, we should not miss 2 months of driving this beautiful car,correct?

Oh, don’t tease me....

• Funny
Reactions: imola.zhp
Means we all should order our M3 now and don`t wait for any of those upgrades, we should not miss 2 months of driving this beautiful car,correct?

But you are not ordering one anyway, because you cant get the premium audio without AWD, and you already gave up on tesla and purchased a different vehicle for your wife... right? Thats what you said in other threads anyway, to "us people".

But you are not ordering one anyway, because you cant get the premium audio without AWD, and you already gave up on tesla and purchased a different vehicle for your wife... right? Thats what you said in other threads anyway, to "us people".

nah they are going to include premium audio soon, i remember Elon saying Sound system is the most important car feature

• Disagree
Reactions: EinSV

my guess is that if you call them and if you’re willing to take a 2020 model then they’ll give you one from stock right now! Call them up and ask. I’ve found the Lawrenceville Princeton one very good. Btw, if you’re going to order one then use someone’s referral code, you and they get 1,000 free supercharger miles. If you don’t know anyone then lmk and I’d be delighted to share mine, we’re not allowed to post here them unless requested.

An interesting comment I just read on Reddit.

"Just confirmed with tesla... I received my M3 about 4 weeks ago and mine has the new steering wheel without the updated interior. It also has the new heat pump and will receive the upgraded range benefits! All is not lost for those recent delivery takers! He also confirmed the new steering wheel will be heated in the future."

Reactions: JeffnReno
my guess is that if you call them and if you’re willing to take a 2020 model then they’ll give you one from stock right now! Call them up and ask. I’ve found the Lawrenceville Princeton one very good. Btw, if you’re going to order one then use someone’s referral code, you and they get 1,000 free supercharger miles. If you don’t know anyone then lmk and I’d be delighted to share mine, we’re not allowed to post here them unless requested.

I tried to go this route, but there are no SR+ at any of the NJ locations. Closest one is Washington DC.

Hahah overall I think all of the changes are good (exception: sport wheels) but the lack of dark headliner is a huge disappointment. I feel like people uniformly prefer dark headliner as much as they hated the piano black.
Disagree. Light headliner makes the car feel more open to me. When I first go my Model 3 and still had my old Audi A3, going from the Model 3 to the A3 was like being forced to sit in a dark cave.