Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like they are maybe actually doing this on Model Y? That would be unusual; they rarely update the displayed range to differ from the EPA rating for that particular model year. There are exceptions (Model 3 LR RWD is the only one I know of). Would not be surprised if 2021 Model Y see jumps in rated range since they will match whatever the new EPA rating will be.

But the constants are beside the point - there is nothing to stop them from giving you more range while leaving the max displayed range of the car exactly the same - and they have done that on numerous occasions. Those are the best updates!

I’d be surprised if this update message ends up applying to Model 3 without the heat pump. They’ve already done several increases in efficiency to the older Model 3 and I would be shocked if they have anything more to gain of any significance.

I suspect this is optimization of the heat pump and associated stuff, which has not yet been wrung dry.
The Model S Performance (with no heat pump) just got a massive 40 mile range increase.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
As discussed earlier here the range boost for the new M3 models may be coming from multiple factors:
- heat pump,
- new 18" areo wheels,
- new Panasonic batteries,
- new software.

However, if the information in the link above is correct and Tesla pushes a software update for model Y now, which had the heat pump from the very beginning it is very likely that the same software update can be applied to the existing M3 cars.
I guess I meant that it's possible that there is still more runway to optimize the operation of the heat pump in the Y since it's newer technology and there is more complexity with the interconnected battery, motor, and heat pump system. I was thinking that complexity could create some opportunities to further optimize, where my 3 with resistive heating is a known quantity. I would be surprised if we got the 2-3% improvement that the existing Model Y saw without a change in the constants (i.e. not a change in real world efficiency or available energy).

The Model S Performance (with no heat pump) just got a massive 40 mile range increase.

Since I don’t track it:

1) Which past model years were affected?

2) It sounds like you are saying it showed up as a range increase on the indicator in the car, for existing owners, right?

If they are doing this, they may be relaxing their obsession with making the rated miles match what the car has always had (in spite of underlying efficiency improvements). There’s no reason they have to keep doing it this way though. It’s just a constant adjustment (unless there is a capacity unlock - which they did for the 3LR RWD, without changing the constant).

Obviously it doesn’t matter what the miles in the car say as long as it is not a capacity unlock. It makes no difference to achievable range. But they may get fewer customer questions by just changing the display when they also update efficiency. I'll believe it when I see it though. It's quite rare, so far. In fact I don't know of a vehicle where the constant has changed, except briefly on 2020 Model 3 AWD models, right after release, it changed from 2019 constants to 2020 constants.

If you're talking about this: Tesla gives big range increase to Model S Performance - Electrek

That seems like a totally different thing than what I was talking about. This change would presumably apply to the 2021 Model S, not be retroactive to prior model years, and match the EPA rating (estimated at the moment).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Then it must be due to the updated batteries from Panasonic in September..

I’m not familiar with all the Tesla Model S variants and what has what (we usually discuss Model 3 but reasonable to talk about this in context)...but why would this just not be a Model S Performance with a bunch of the improvements (the applicable ones) that were added to the Long Range Plus? Like the electric oil pump, front gearbox optimizations, etc.?

And how do we know this 2021 Model S will not have a heat pump??? It that not possible somehow?

Could be batteries too, of course. But I don’t think people really comprehend how much gaming the scalar can help! It can buy you over 7% range increase in EPA even if your actual range doesn’t change at all in conditions where you would not use climate control! This is 11% but combined with those Model S Long Range Plus tweaks...I don’t think it HAS to be batteries.

The only thing more frustrating than receiving my car in the end of September is how people are referring to the refresh as "Model 3 2021" :D Or is this an official designation?

I don't particularly regret not waiting, though. I like the chrome and don't care about most updates. More range would be nice, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a software update that fixes that. I wonder what the resale value of my 2020 purchase will be in, let's say, 2025, since my plan is to update to a newer version slightly after the warranty expires...

Also, am I really the only one who could not care less for a heated steering wheel?

It is sometimes painfully obvious to some Model 3 owners that their vehicle spec changes frequently, but to a non Tesla owner, where even getting a navigation update or a refresh to a car’s firmware (trip to a garage) is difficult/unusual this is a completely different experience.

I do wonder if the increased range announced is a response to the other manufacturers having “buyers range anxiety”. My understanding (may be wrong) is that Tesla and one other manufacturer were completing the test cycle where permitted, using multiple cycle to get a better average “score”. If the other manufacturers have started doing the same,then more effort goes into getting a “good score”. This reminds me of the “MegaPixel wars” with cameras - an easily understandable metric, where more is sometimes less.

I would prefer to know a real world figure that is accurate e.g. feedback from the driving habits of 80% of owners, rather than an optimistic/unrealisable “brag” from the manufacturer.

The battery performance improvements were just a few months ago stated as being years away. Equally the option to use other suppliers and battery chemistry are interesting. If 2021 cars had one type or the other (so it was a lottery for what you get) then there would be BatteryGate (like Apple’s TSMC vs Samsung) SOC debate.

if a manufacturer cannot Cherry pick their car for a test, then battery choice might be significant. Knowing that you could have had a better range seems a lottery effect too far. It would have been a smart move to create a hybrid battery e.g. with different proportions of cells so that improvements can be relied upon. This would put enormous pressure on the OEM producers to improve? Rumours that a newer type of cell that can be routinely be charged to close to 100% would be very welcome as loosing 10% at max/min greatly reduces the already optimistic figure?

I absolutely hate it when TESLA does this only because it brings out the self entitled complainers. Price increase, decreases, EAP is gone, EAP is back, refund this and that. TESLA owners are the biggest crybabies.

Do you do this at grocery stores when you buy cereal at one price and then they have a sale or BOGO next week? NO. You make a damn decision and stick with it. STOP COMPLAINING. No one does this at legacy automakers. Do you think the Supra people are crying about their car being updated after 1 year of the release? No. They man up and keep or trade it in.

Keep this thread on track about the changes. Not about your poor decision making. Go to FB for that and see if someone will comfort you there. Keep FACTS here.

Last edited:
I absolutely hate it when TESLA does this only because it brings out the self entitled complainers. Price increase, decreases, EAP is gone, EAP is back, refund this and that. TESLA owners are the biggest crybabies.

Do you do this at grocery stores when you buy cereal at one price and then they have a sale or BOGO next week? NO. You make a damn decision and stick with it. STOP COMPLAINING. No one does this at legacy automakers. Do you think the Supra people are crying about their car being updated after 1 year of the release? No. They man up and keep or trade it in.

Keep this thread on track about the changes. Not about your poor decision making. Go to FB for that and see if someone will comfort you there. Keep FACTS here.

but... but...this month’s boxes have 5% more sugar...and the sports star on the front of the box was updated!

but... but...this month’s boxes have 5% more sugar...and the sports star on the front of the box was updated!

So back on track - Do we know if the performance model has a new rear motor? I posted earlier that there is a part number in the model 3 parts catalog that exactly matches the 800 mosfet rear drive unit part number of the Model Y.

Also, does anyone know if the performance is going to have 9" square setup or staggered? There are 9 and 10" staggered wheels in the parts catalog as well...

These changes could actually make the car competitive in SCCA Super Street!

I somehow agree with your conclusions, mostly about keeping the conversation here on topic, but I think your comparison may sound a bit inappropriate due to a completely different base cost, as well as the features expectations for cereal and cars respectively :) To be honest, one could call it a proverbial "apples vs. oranges" draw.
The decision of buying or not cereal simply doesn't imply any real financial consequences, so from a psychological standpoint is totally insignificant, which we can't say about a car purchase, at least for 99% of the population :)
We also can't blame anybody here for "poor decision making" if Tesla is not giving any heads-up information about upcoming changes to its lineup. In order to make any well-educated decision one would need to be able to assess all the factors, which clearly wasn't the case here. Let's be fair about this.
However, as I mentioned before we need to keep in mind that this is one of the most innovative companies ever in existence, so we have to be prepared that continuous improvements and constant change are a norm for Tesla and we should take it into consideration when making any purchase decisions. After all, that's why we all love Tesla, right?

Reactions: Shadowfly
Someone posted this list of changes from inside Tesla a while back on this or other thread, but they had the wording differently. Does someone remember where the post is? Or maybe the person can link to it?
Eklb0VjUUAAuEIR

So back on track - Do we know if the performance model has a new rear motor? I posted earlier that there is a part number in the model 3 parts catalog that exactly matches the 800 mosfet rear drive unit part number of the Model Y.

Also, does anyone know if the performance is going to have 9" square setup or staggered? There are 9 and 10" staggered wheels in the parts catalog as well...

These changes could actually make the car competitive in SCCA Super Street!

This...and whether the increased range on the SR+ is just because of new wheel covers, different cells, or a more efficient inverter, software, or...less foam in the seats...

Do you think that Tesla don’t release a simple, definitive statement about the changes is because if they don’t we have a 27 page thread speculating about it? Let’s face it, I check this thread at least three times a day to see if there’s another nugget about my soon-to-be delivered 2021 M3! If they just sent me and email with the changes, I would be obsessing half as much.

I’m sure that Apple “accidentally” leak picture of the iPhone n+1 just to get hype. Maybe a similar thing here.

Reactions: Nupe 1911
Just an FYI for anyone curious. It seems the discount on a 2020 model is about $1100..
You have to mention the model. 1100 on a 3P is a whole other thing than on an SR+ percentile wise...

M3! If they just sent me and email with the changes, I would be obsessing half as much.

They obviously don't do that, because there are a lot of moving parts and they make these little changes on the go all the time. It is what it is, Tesla makes so many itterations within just a single month so they will shoot themselves in the foot if they did put a list. Other OEMs just put a car and have it listed there for 5 years, no changes. Tesla improves on daily basis and gives you so many extras that cost at least 3000$ extra in a VW.