Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From reddit:
oho6orexuhv51.jpg

Probably for Europe because of the plates. And the panels looks great! Is the 2021 version the one where Tesla finally starts caring about QC?

From reddit:
View attachment 602757

Probably for Europe because of the plates. And the panels looks great! Is the 2021 version the one where Tesla finally starts caring about QC?

I am not a resident of China so I wouldn't know, but I think I've only heard positive things about the factory's work there. I would love if this is the case though here as well :D Those do look really good though!

I remember seeing pics of European M3Ps getting loaded up at Fremont a few weeks back. I could tell from the plates. I am not sure if China and Fremont are splitting duties dependent on models. Hopefully these are Fremont cars because, as was said, they look phenomenal.

Last edited:
I remember seeing pics of European M3Ps getting loaded up at Fremont a few weeks back. I could tell from the plates. I am not sure if China and Fremont are splitting duties dependent on models. Hopefully these are Fremont cars because, as was said, they look phenomenal.

These are Fremont Cars.

The Paper reported today (translated from Chinese):

“On October 26, an event for the Chinese-made vehicles exported to Europe was held at the Tesla Gigafactory Shanghai. Approximately 7,000 Chinese-made Model 3 vehicles will set off tomorrow for export to the European market. They are expected to arrive at Belgian ports at the end of next month and are sold to a dozen of countries including Germany, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal, Switzerland, and Sweden.”

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
This Electrek article points to higher efficiency in the 2021 EPA ratings. @AlanSubie4Life, does this point to a pure efficiency improvement as the reason for the range increase, or is there also a battery capacity increase?

I should probably learn how to look into the EPA data myself one of these days :D

I posted about this yesterday. I linked a bunch of places, but not here:

Preliminary EPA Data for Model 3 AWD & Model 3 P 2021 Released

You’ll see the table I provided yesterday aligns with the EPA numbers at fueleconomy.gov which appeared today. The MPGe numbers are just direct calculations from the range results (for the two-cycle and 5-cycle testing).

The number is higher because of better efficiency (nearly half of increase) and the heat pump (a little over half the increase).

There is no battery size increase for AWD. (At least in terms of the energy used in the EPA test - some capacity COULD be locked.)

The Performance does not show yet because they screwed up the recharging event, I think. The efficiencies are placeholders. Though with the actual results achieved, it is about right to just use 2020 numbers.

It’s possible they are installing denser batteries, or batteries that are less populated because of the 5% increase in density. But the battery is not lighter so I doubt the latter. If the former, they could unlock capacity later.

If they install 5% denser batteries, the EPA range will go to about 370 miles.

Last edited:
This Electrek article points to higher efficiency in the 2021 EPA ratings. @AlanSubie4Life, does this point to a pure efficiency improvement as the reason for the range increase, or is there also a battery capacity increase?

I should probably learn how to look into the EPA data myself one of these days :D

Yea something's funky here because the EPA efficiency in terms of MPGe are equivalent for the two Model 3 Performances at 113, but there's a difference of 16 miles of estimated range. I'm wondering if this is in fact the 5% difference (15 miles) boost to the batteries Panasonic was supposedly rolling out in September. That would make up for it.

What makes this more interesting would then be the differences in the long range AWD which improved in efficiency and could have had the boost as well.
Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 10.36.16 AM.png

• Disagree
Reactions: Sbax and jawnly211