Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Corners look totally normal. Photos taken from a May/2019 Raven Model S LR, VIN 330. @WilliamG @Bull

View attachment 695821
View attachment 695822
Here are the front and rear passenger doors’ inside corners on a 2015 P90D:

892046C3-5B70-4C02-905D-5B6B4BC212D8.jpeg

7704EE11-1C69-455E-B804-05AD4567673E.jpeg

Anybody on the assemble line in Fremont missing part of your tool? lol.. My Plaid had a rattle from the Driver’s front wheel area since delivery day, but only loud enough to be heard while the window was down.

Several checks were done to make sure that the car was mechanically safe. But the source of the rattle remained a mystery until my most recent SC visit. And there it is: A metal belt clip from a Milwaukee cordless, stuck between the dust shield and the wheel hub. Tight enough that it was never going to fall out, but loose enough to rattle with any vibration.

Question is: Was this indeed an accident? Or was someone testing the quality control team who obviously failed on this? 🤔

Attachments

• 68BB083D-4D50-45B8-98F1-9279BE6C69A3.jpeg
    68BB083D-4D50-45B8-98F1-9279BE6C69A3.jpeg
    457 KB · Views: 77
  • A0D68AD0-9326-44CC-B82F-B3FBD991B840.jpeg
    A0D68AD0-9326-44CC-B82F-B3FBD991B840.jpeg
    633.1 KB · Views: 78
  • CDAABD52-DE60-47ED-8967-6EDCDA73E4E8.jpeg
    CDAABD52-DE60-47ED-8967-6EDCDA73E4E8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 73
Anybody on the assemble line in Fremont missing part of your tool? lol.. My Plaid had a rattle from the Driver’s front wheel area since delivery day, but only loud enough to be heard while the window was down.

Several checks were done to make sure that the car was mechanically safe. But the source of the rattle remained a mystery until my most recent SC visit. And there it is: A metal belt clip from a Milwaukee cordless, stuck between the dust shield and the wheel hub. Tight enough that it was never going to fall out, but loose enough to rattle with any vibration.

Question is: Was this indeed an accident? Or was someone testing the quality control team who obviously failed on this? 🤔
I've heard directly from one guy that used to work on the assy line in fremont that due to the bad treatment of the workers, some got a bad attitude and intentionally did drop screws and things into door panels just to annoy the customers.

this was what I heard directly from the guy (I used to work with him at another company after he left tesla). I believe him, too. I dont like hearing this, but just relaying the message.

• Informative
Reactions: JimmyMS
Tried parallel and parking lot this morning drive select popped out but no park assist. One interesting thing is the manual indicates angle parking isn’t supported. The first clip in video seems to be angled parking.
No, the first was parallel parking and the second was perpendicular--the car has not bitten on any angled slots so far

Reactions: cwanja

When we took delivery of one of our cars last year, we found a panel gap measuring tool in the back. 🤣

My grandfather had a Cadillac in the 60's that had a bad rattle in the driver door. Eventually when they found it there was a bolt with a string and a note saying they hoped it cost them time and money to find the bolt. Basically a disgruntled worker wanting to stick it to the man.

• Funny
Reactions: JimmyMS and oktane
No, the first was parallel parking and the second was perpendicular--the car has not bitten on any angled slots so far
Tried during lunch. Checked manual again on phone as once again vehicle manual freezes screens to see if anyway to turn auto park on or off. Nothing found and went through tabs nothing found.
I found some wide streets with good curbs and tried per manual and nothing (under 10 MPH). Found parking lot tried same under 5 MPH nothing.
there are some notes in manual about not being available in certain areas and delivered vehicle would not have option.

I've heard directly from one guy that used to work on the assy line in fremont that due to the bad treatment of the workers, some got a bad attitude and intentionally did drop screws and things into door panels just to annoy the customers.

this was what I heard directly from the guy (I used to work with him at another company after he left tesla). I believe him, too. I dont like hearing this, but just relaying the message.
Well.. As it turns out. That same corner of the car was missing two screws, a nut, and a clip all from the fender well area.. and was causing some fender alignment issues and general sloppiness. Somebody needs some serious training or needs to find another job.. JS

Tried during lunch. Checked manual again on phone as once again vehicle manual freezes screens to see if anyway to turn auto park on or off. Nothing found and went through tabs nothing found.
I found some wide streets with good curbs and tried per manual and nothing (under 10 MPH). Found parking lot tried same under 5 MPH nothing.
there are some notes in manual about not being available in certain areas and delivered vehicle would not have option.
You have FW 24.2 right?

Reactions: cwanja
But my current issue is that I have no visualization on the driver display and therefore no autopilot or cruise control. This happened yesterday and I have no clue why. I figured with a reset it would come back, but it has not.

I’ve been in contact with service and they’re checking the cars logs to see if they can identify what’s going on. More will be revealed probably tomorrow.
Not sure if you got this problem fixed yet or not? But my Plaid developed the same issue about three weeks after delivery. And in my case it turned out to be the radar sensor that went bad. But.. my SC team had trouble simply replacing the radar with a new part. And they ended up spending days talking with Fremont engineers and looking at data dumps before somebody realized what the problem was with replacing the sensor. Apparently when the new exact part replacement is installed, there is still a "Factory Mode" routine that needs to be run before the radar calibration is done, to tell the car what brand of radar sensor is installed. Otherwise when the calibration for the new sensor is done, the car defaults to the wrong setting and thinks it trying to talk to another brand of radar sensor?

This is how my SC described the fix to me after a couple of days working on this problem. So just thought I throw the info out here in case it might help someone else. My visualizations, cruise control, and FSD do indeed work perfectly after this fix.. FWIW

Reactions: uthatcher