Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just charged my 21" Plaid to full to see what's up. It went to 95%.... and then just went straight to 100% without charging anything...! I've apparently lost 10% range given 348 is rated, and 318 is what is reported. No idea if this is a software issue or what's going on. Not to mention my ACTUAL range is close to about 220 miles driving like a grandma.
Honestly my range/% was off at the beginning as well. The car has no data to calibrate to at first. Totally stabilized after driving the car for a few 90%-20% hauls. Mine started to be dead-on around 500miles driven. First super charger predictions on my recent road trip were totally off due to that. Now the predicted range is dead on.

Honestly my range/% was off at the beginning as well. The car has no data to calibrate to at first. Totally stabilized after driving the car for a few 90%-20% hauls. Mine started to be dead-on around 500miles driven. First super charger predictions on my recent road trip were totally off due to that. Now the predicted range is dead on.

Yeah I'll drain this to 20% now I think and see what happens. Thanks.

@brunla Does your state have a Lemon law? Here in WA, if the same issue is not resolved after three attempts, the law requires they buy the "Lemon" back at full purchase price (i.e., full refund).
It does, and that likely may be what will happen. The entire car now has warning lights for no traction control, no emergency braking, no regenerative braking, no hold mode. no stability control, alignment not working. It's a 'sugar' show. To make matters worse, Service can't fit my car in right away and have no loaner cars. Even though this is the 4th time I'm bringing it in. They totally do not care.

It does, and that likely may be what will happen. The entire car now has warning lights for no traction control, no emergency braking, no regenerative braking, no hold mode. no stability control, alignment not working. It's a 'sugar' show. To make matters worse, Service can't fit my car in right away and have no loaner cars. Even though this is the 4th time I'm bringing it in. They totally do not care.
Invoke the Lemon Law now, or you will drive yourself insane!

Based on these issues… does anyone have buyer’s remorse? As someone with a pending order, this thread has made me incredibly nervous. I’ve been driving a 3 around recently, and love it. Does this car have more issues than a 3?

Should I … *shudder* order a 3 instead?
See my recent post about bringing my car in 4 times for the same issues and Tesla not fixing the problem. Car is undrivable. I have wasted so much time on this, and the anger I am feeling after waiting 9 months for my car is at level 10. If I were you, I would RUN. I'm now having to look into Lemon Laws and a fight ahead. The Model S has the POTENTIAL to be a great car, but they are not there yet. Check back in a later year.

See my recent post about bringing my car in 4 times for the same issues and Tesla not fixing the problem. Car is undrivable. I have wasted so much time on this, and the anger I am feeling after waiting 9 months for my car is at level 10. If I were you, I would RUN. I'm now having to look into Lemon Laws and a fight ahead. The Model S has the POTENTIAL to be a great car, but they are not there yet. Check back in a later year.
Threaten them, appropriately so, with the Lemon Law and they just might give you a new car faster than they can attempt to fix the PoS. They don't want to hire a lawyer any more than you do.

Reactions: impastu
What I'd like to know is was there something really wrong with your car, or is the service center staff just inept and screwing stuff up...

I hate to say it, but its probably time to invoke that. I can't recommend any lawyers, but there are firms that do this daily, and usually all on contingency where the manufacturer is responsible for their fees in CA.

Reactions: impastu and cwanja
What I'd like to know is was there something really wrong with your car, or is the service center staff just inept and screwing stuff up...
That's why I am giving it another try at a different service center. But still the fact that they did not roll over and apologize and take my car immediately and give me a loaner is a JOKE. We can't fit you in and we don't have any loaners is not an excuse for $100k cars that are brand new and undrivable.

That's why I am giving it another try at a different service center. But still the fact that they did not roll over and apologize and take my car immediately and give me a loaner is a JOKE. We can't fit you in and we don't have any loaners is not an excuse for $100k cars that are brand new and undrivable.

It's clear depending where you are has a significant effect on how things go. For me, while it hasn't been blazing fast in terms of sorting the many problems with my car, at least service is on it to the best of their abilities. Sadly, they are hamstrung due to lack of knowledge/data on the car since it's so new, and also waiting for parts. I had my windshield replaced this week for factory distortion/ripples in my line of sight, and somehow they managed to crack the rearview mirror in the corner. Grr. So, another part on order. Then, midway through the process my front passenger door handle stopped working (inside button wouldn't light up - and the handle wouldn't extend - very odd it happened in their care, but... there it is). That was sorted with a re-calibration and resending of the 2021.12.4.9 software update, but man.. this car... driving me nuts. Having my carbon spoiler replaced too, since it's coming off on the driver's side. Oh, and some of the trunk trim isn't correct/sitting flat and needs to be replaced, too. Oh, and when the window on my driver's side goes up, it seems to be pulling the rubber with it some, which means it comes away from the alcantara at the top, and I have to use my fingernail to flip the rubber back over the material. Good grief...

OH, and for those with the front speaker grille dent, don't even think about getting it replaced. Apparently it requires disassembling the dash and removing the windshield. No thanks, Tesla.

I'm sure by the end of the year I'll have a car that's in condition worth of the $165k (including tax) sales price. Madness...

Attachments

• tempImageV018uh.png
    tempImageV018uh.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 372
I'm not happy with the quality of the wood trim and would appreciate other opinions on this before my service appointment.

Pretty much all of the walnut trim in my Plaid has small splits and checks. The small sharp edges are very obvious to the touch and can be seen clearly. I have added this to the punch list for my car when I go in for it's first service appointment. I am also a woodworker so I am particularly tuned to defects like these. The wood feels like it split during forming and they did not smooth it afterward.

I have told the service rep that at this price point I consider this unacceptable and it all needs to be replaced or changed to CF. Am I being unreasonable?

IMG_5768.JPG IMG_5769.JPG IMG_5770.JPG IMG_5771.JPG

I'm not happy with the quality of the wood trim and would appreciate other opinions on this before my service appointment.

Pretty much all of the walnut trim in my Plaid has small splits and checks. The small sharp edges are very obvious to the touch and can be seen clearly. I have added this to the punch list for my car when I go in for it's first service appointment. I am also a woodworker so I am particularly tuned to defects like these. The wood feels like it split during forming and they did not smooth it afterward.

I have told the service rep that at this price point I consider this unacceptable and it all needs to be replaced or changed to CF. Am I being unreasonable?

View attachment 701911 View attachment 701912 View attachment 701913 View attachment 701914
I feel like I recall someone in the June timeframe had similar complaints and the delivery team took them through two or three other cars to point that it was “all the same“. And how the wood interior was meant to look. I am by no stretch or imagination a woodworker, so I cannot attest to any of that. Just sharing what I recall.

View attachment 701911 View attachment 701912 View attachment 701913 View attachment 701914

Interesting. I'd be curious to hear from others. That may well be normal. The wood certainly has a somewhat distressed look to it, but I recall similar in an ebony wood Plaid I sat in (the black interior wood).

Reactions: impastu and Tigers
Another
As an early model Y adopter I experienced a number of new model issues that eventually required a buyback from Tesla. Although it was very frustrating with the initial repeated service visits, the process ended up being very easy and Tesla was very accommodating. I just emailed my case and outlined service issues to
[email protected]
I received a response about a week or so later and Tesla worked out a buyback plan. I basically sold the old one back and picked up a newer model Y and no problems since. As many have stated on this site, probably not the best idea to be the beta tester of a new Tesla model. The excitement can certainly cloud judgement …I’ve learned the hard way once and still check this site daily and my ordering page for delivery information on my refresh model s. Tesla…it’s a helluva drug.

@Bull Wow, that looks nothing like my walnut!

D3FD363A-C080-4D1A-8115-FB39D8C9ADAB.jpeg
247FC39F-3592-4FBE-8F0F-B123FB01E087.jpeg

Last edited:

Please do not take this the wrong way but that looks like aged walnut. I'm hoping Tesla does not have a temperature problem with their wood.

Reactions: impastu