Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The motor latching mechanism on rear hatch for my '22 Model S makes a loud buzzing noise after closing. Service center has tried telling me this is normal but it definitely is not present in my X or Y and my previously owned S also. Can someone confirm their rear hatch closes softly and quietly without a mechanical buzzing noise after the close?
Mine makes this noise 90% of the time. I think it’s supposed to be like the soft close door mechanism if you have ever had it in other cars. It pulls the latch closed.

Noise doesn’t happen sometimes when the hatch closes a bit harder than normal

The motor latching mechanism on rear hatch for my '22 Model S makes a loud buzzing noise after closing. Service center has tried telling me this is normal but it definitely is not present in my X or Y and my previously owned S also. Can someone confirm their rear hatch closes softly and quietly without a mechanical buzzing noise after the close?
A video would help.

I wouldnt call it a buzz, but mine "buzzes" only while cinching the liftgate down.

Reactions: EcoBruin
No buzz. I think mine may make a slight click noise right when it shuts but otherwise nothing

When closing the hatch on our 2022 Model S, the latching mechanism first makes a slow/low noise followed by a faster/higher pitched noise. The sound lasts maybe 3 seconds total.

If these are designed like the 3rd party power frunks then there are two drive mechanisms. The 'major' motion that comes from each power strut. This is relatively quiet. Then there is a 'suction' motor (as Hansshow refers to it) for the 'minor' motion that pulls the trunk down the last bit to enable the latch. I think the sound you are referring to is from the latter.

Mine makes a whine similar to an electronic hotel door lock mechanism. Lasts about two seconds. Always been there.

Mine makes a whine similar to an electronic hotel door lock mechanism. Lasts about two seconds. Always been there.
Yep. That’s normal. It’s funny that Tesla’s flagship S trunk is so ugly sounding. If you listen to a Taycan trunk closing it’s so quiet you barely notice it. The S? It’s like the world is ending when it closes/latches at the end.

It sounds like once you get the latest software it will tell you in the hardware tab on the software version screen. Of course by then you’ll know since you’ll either have Steam or you won’t.
I have a Feb 2022 MSLR. I did not look there but went straight to the Steam app. It is downloading Steam as I write this, 2.3 GB. I hope the car is smart enough to only download if it is supported. I probably should not have initiated download because it is a beta version.

It sounds like once you get the latest software it will tell you in the hardware tab on the software version screen. Of course by then you’ll know since you’ll either have Steam or you won’t.
Our 12/21 build Model S received the update with Steam last night and shows 16 GB of Infotainment RAM.

Yep. That’s normal. It’s funny that Tesla’s flagship S trunk is so ugly sounding. If you listen to a Taycan trunk closing it’s so quiet you barely notice it. The S? It’s like the world is ending when it closes/latches at the end.
I had the noise, and it never bothered me since I never had a car new enough for a powered trunk until this MS.

After the 2023.2.12 update, it does not do it anymore, could be other reasons, such as car saw less than 6O deg for the first time, but the software update seems most likely.