Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Just purchased a used 2021 Model S and one of the first things I noticed when sitting in a quiet area was a constant buzzing sound coming from the wireless charging area. First thing I did was schedule a service and the technician said it was perfectly normal. My old Model 3 was dead quiet compared to this car.

Is this noise normal? No fans running, no seat heaters/coolers running, and car is parked. Phone isn't even on the charging pads.

Last edited:
Hello,
Just purchased a used 2021 Model S and one of the first things I noticed when sitting in a quiet area was a constant buzzing sound coming from the wireless charging area. First thing I did was schedule a service and the technician said it was perfectly normal. My old Model 3 was dead quiet compared to this car.

Is this noise normal? No fans running, no seat heaters/coolers running, and car is parked. Phone isn't even on the charging pads.
Is it actually coming from the Yoke? There was a buzz from the yoke in the early cars that was later fixed.

I don't think the charging pad buzzes in my car. There might be a tiny buzz if you put your ear really close to it with the HVAC off, but I don't think it was noticeable.

Is it actually coming from the Yoke? There was a buzz from the yoke in the early cars that was later fixed.

I don't think the charging pad buzzes in my car. There might be a tiny buzz if you put your ear really close to it with the HVAC off, but I don't think it was noticeable.
I'm pretty sure it's coming from towards the charging pads.

video example: IMG_0337.MOV

In the video I get really close to the pads but I could hear this buzzing just sitting normally in my seat. Kinda driving me crazy haha.

I'm pretty sure it's coming from towards the charging pads.

video example: IMG_0337.MOV

In the video I get really close to the pads but I could hear this buzzing just sitting normally in my seat. Kinda driving me crazy haha.
I'll film mine for comparison. Maybe it's the fan above the charging pad? There is a fan behind those little holes that could be broken.

Reactions: xEvoLveDx
I'll film mine for comparison. Maybe it's the fan above the charging pad? There is a fan behind those little holes that could be broken.
That is a fan you hear, it is designed to pull air from the cabin and blow it across a temperature sensor and runs constantly. This is the solution to the old issue of temperature stratification in the cabin, especially on longer drives. Back in the day the temp in the car would be fine at your face while being cold at your feet (or other types of weird temp combos). The car can only read the one temp sensor and since air isnt moving near it, it might shut down the ventilation because it is satisfied in that location, not knowing it is completely wrong somewhere else.

The fan creates a bit more of a chance to get an accurate representation of the temps in the car. Big issue in early cars especially, better later when the sensor was moved (2014?) and pretty much just ok now with the fan.

It is... a bit of a hack IMO. Better answer would be more temperature sensors so it can auto adjust the air top to bottom, but we have one sensor only still so it just guesses and gets it wrong a lot.

That is a fan you hear, it is designed to pull air from the cabin and blow it across a temperature sensor and runs constantly. This is the solution to the old issue of temperature stratification in the cabin, especially on longer drives. Back in the day the temp in the car would be fine at your face while being cold at your feet (or other types of weird temp combos). The car can only read the one temp sensor and since air isnt moving near it, it might shut down the ventilation because it is satisfied in that location, not knowing it is completely wrong somewhere else.

The fan creates a bit more of a chance to get an accurate representation of the temps in the car. Big issue in early cars especially, better later when the sensor was moved (2014?) and pretty much just ok now with the fan.

It is... a bit of a hack IMO. Better answer would be more temperature sensors so it can auto adjust the air top to bottom, but we have one sensor only still so it just guesses and gets it wrong a lot.
Just another way for Elon to cut costs while reducing value to the customer...

I honestly can't see much difference in the used ones that I shopped over the last month, with or without FSD. Renting it is still likely the better way to go unless you are going to keep it for a LONG time. Now if Tesla would let me transfer FSD from one car to another, I'd be much more inclined to buy it.

Found that out when I sold my 2021 with FSD. Adds almost zero value. Just rent it. Can cancel anytime

Just another way for Elon to cut costs while reducing value to the customer...
It isn’t a cost cut per se. It works, and is the way most cars do it, in fact it is better than most due to the fan. You will also notice that in most cars the hvac fan runs fairly aggressively.

In an electric car they turn the fans down to the minimum for energy savings, which creates stratification. Ice has plenty of waste electrical energy so they blow the fans to keep air moving more. They also generally have one sensor, except for pure luxury cars (think Porsche, gm, ford, all use one for most vehicles to measure cabin temp.).

Mercedes and rolls use a bunch in some vehicles to have a high level of silence while maintaining comfort.

Tesla is somewhere in the middle by only having one, but using a fan to draw air across it. This increases accuracy without much of a reduction in power reserves. You could probably replace the fan with a noctua silent fan to remove the noise btw.

I do think a better solution would be sensors in more locations (they do have some in other areas, just not for passenger measurement), but recommend being focused on the issue and desired outcome. Not the method.

Hello, I just received my MSLR 2023, and I have a buzzing sound between the middle screen and the wireless charging pad. Quite annoying sound, is this a common issue?
I have it as well on my 2021 refresh. It's faint, but annoying when the environment is quiet.
I believe it's the temp sensor, it has a small fan.

Here's a thread, where a M3 owner has it. The video posted in that thread sounds exactly like mine does.

Last edited:
I have it as well on my 2021 refresh.
It's faint, but annoying when the environment is quiet.
If I understand correctly, there is a small fan there. I vaguely recall possibly for the temp sensor but I could be wrong.

EDIT/Update: Just did a quick search, others have had that issue on the M3.

I added that as one of the issues to check right after I purchased it. However the tech could not hear it and I have just lived with it as I avoid going into service if at all possible.
Yeah I won't be able to just ignored it, it's quite loud, I will ask service to fix it.

Reactions: zoomer0056
try this (on the MS Refresh) you can pull down the little panel that is just above the charging pad. pull it open from the long edge closest to the screen (not the back edge close to the charger pad). In the middle of it you will see the temp sensor that has a small fan that runs all the time to pull in cabin air. Pull the plug to that unit and see if it goes away. If it does, file a ticket for service. When pulled off, the AC will not work but you are just testing so no big deal.

try this (on the MS Refresh) you can pull down the little panel that is just above the charging pad. pull it open from the long edge closest to the screen (not the back edge close to the charger pad). In the middle of it you will see the temp sensor that has a small fan that runs all the time to pull in cabin air. Pull the plug to that unit and see if it goes away. If it does, file a ticket for service. When pulled off, the AC will not work but you are just testing so no big deal.
Thanks.
Yup, confirmed that's the issue here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230908_174721_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230908_174721_Gallery.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 20230908_171624.jpg
    20230908_171624.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 78