Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lol, so did I. White interiors are very delayed. Sept estimation based on the main website before the change, saying white interiors would start delivering in Sept. I'm quite a bit before you ordering wise, I had August as well, now blank again.
I can only hope, as I predict many others, that the white or other "hold up items" are actually existing in quantity for the prior orders, and hopefully only new orders are subject to the revised later estimated delivery dates.
Of course, we'll never learn in advance....

Reactions: doubleshot
My estimated delivery date has returned. Back to October at of today. Beats March 2022! LOL
That is GREAT news! To me at least it seems there is existing inventory or material to produce the prior orders as of the estimated dates, and the new orders are now subject to whatever delays the new estimated dates are.
Of course this is Tesla, so all bets are off, but it sure is a lot better than suddenly seeing a September or October date turn into March.

Reactions: cwanja and kj71109
We can only speculate (unless someone can actually get info from Tesla - ha!) but why do we think there are delays for new orders?
1) chip shortage
2) retooling line for right hand steering
3) revamping line for model X production
4) other materials shortage
5) problems with S (maybe related to the hold, or related to the dusty 450?) I still think the hold was firmware for differing chips.

some of my conjecture is Tesla may want to push out some Model X's so they can say they CAN produce them, versus say, only producing S's in quantity and NO X's at all. Not sure if it helps them from an optics standpoint, share value standpoint, or something else.
The X is also more expensive than the S, so maybe there's more profit there as well.
If there's a limited amount of chips, that may be a bottleneck, so then the question is "do you continue to build S's that you have a new history with, or build Model X's that may need some different firmware, etc." - so where do you allocate the resources - physical and intellectual?
I don't know how important exporting is to domestic deliveries - if folks in other countries start to see cars come in, perhaps they'll retain hope and orders; versus folks saying, "more delays? i'm getting a Lucid" or whatever is an EV that is likely to ship, or even "I'll get another ICE and consider a hybrid for my next car"
I have no idea how long it would take to revamp the S line to make the X's if they indeed have to do that - that would mean what, reprogramming robots, presses, different dashes or parts - unless parts come preassembled from vendors or other areas, and unless there's a real shortage, Can the line be retooled in a day? a week? (not to mention programming the robots initially is probably a huge ordeal, and then I don't know if there are calibration issues - if calibrated for the S, do they have to be recalibrated for the X? (I imagine not - I think the robots are stationary and the X may have the same "reach" - but if there was a hugely difference size, perhaps they would have to physically move the robots a foot or whatever and then calibrate). I have to imagine it is far simpler to keep building the S's.
I'm not sure what kind of divergence in the line is needed to shift from the LR to the Plaid - different rear, spoiler, badge, and firmware (and even that may only be a minimal subsection) - i don't know if there is a common area on the line, the powertrains are installed, something indicates it is a Plaid for the firmware, badge and spoiler, and then perhaps the LR and Plaid can continue again on the same rest of the line.
I imagine the badge and spoiler have to go on last - so there must be some way to differentiate the cars - maybe something on the inside.
Maybe the rear powertrain sends a computer code so the firmware knows whether to act as an LR or a Plaid. If it is super automated, once the power train is in, it can continue on the same line until the very end - then maybe the factory mode on the display shows whether it is a plaid or LR for the bade and spoiler.
Just some thoughts...

Hey all, seems like the Plaid trim is shipping now. I’m thinking it would be helpful to have a separate thread for tracking LR deliveries.

Any LR reservations out there that were delivered or assigned a VIN?
Got my S LR yesterday along with someone else in Boston. Best car I ever drove, even better than my Porsche. Flawless car in both fit and finish and everything working. Pgold

Finally got VIN yesterday (437) and this am a EDD of Aug1-3 so maybe this journey is almost over. Ironically stopped by the local delivery center here yesterday only to be shuffled off to a phone call from someone at Fremont I presume. He gave me the usual BS about can't really give me an update until a VIN is assigned. Must have worked...

I can only hope, as I predict many others, that the white or other "hold up items" are actually existing in quantity for the prior orders, and hopefully only new orders are subject to the revised later estimated delivery dates.
Of course, we'll never learn in advance....
If the 19" statement that was there before about deliveries in August and that is holding true so far, seems like white interior (though there are some in the wild) is going to be September. I'm not optimistic about August but I hope I'm wrong.

I went blank the same time you did but mine is still blank. I have same config as you - white/white/21s/June order

My config is MSM/White/19s. I did have white for an exterior but changed in late June. Tried the 21 jump but had no movement. Went back to 19s as the roads here in RI suck in the summer, never mind the winter. HAHA. Hope were getting closer than further away none the less!