Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone concerned about the current lights, Consumer reports rates the current refreshed model differently than the 2020 model.

Here is what they said about the 2020 (pre-refresh).
Headlights
Standard LED lights do only a fair job of lighting up the road ahead. While the light is very bright it projects only a modest distance ahead and lacks the width we're accustomed to with other low beams. Some streaks and lack of uniformity in the low beam are also detract.

Here is what they say about the 2021-22 MS LR.
Headlights
The Model S’s standard LED headlights were rated as doing a “good” job overall of lighting the road ahead. As with most LEDs, the Tesla’s headlights provide a high level of intensity with a very white and bright light.

The low beams provide “good” levels of light straight down the road, capable of providing just enough light so the driver has time to see, react, and brake for anything ahead from about 60 mph or less. Visibility to sides of the road was rated at “very good,” in line with the better-performing LED-equipped vehicles. Sideward visibility, which can help drivers see pedestrians and wildlife entering from the sides of the road, and in navigating corners, is typically an advantage of LED headlights vs. halogen lamps.

The Model S’s high beams were rated as “very good,” lighting the road ahead to a distance that is typical of better-performing systems. Automatic high beams are a selectable option in the on-screen lighting menu. This system can help drivers take advantage of the additional visibility that high beams bring more frequently, as the system automatically switches the high beams on anytime traffic and conditions allow. But, some of our testers found Tesla’s automatic high beams to be overly sensitive and occasionally erratic, for example the system had a tendency to turn the high beams off in response to light sources other than traffic for seemingly no reason.

Quite a difference in their review of them. I did find it interesting too that they said the refreshed S would gotten their highest road test score ever if it wasn't for the yoke. Not to mention in their testing the MS LR had a better 0-60 time than the 2020 S performance model (don't know what mode they used for it) at 3.2 for MS LR vs 3.5 for the Performance. In addition they specifically called out that the car just keeps pulling after 60. So if even CR notices it, it should be pretty solid.
IIHS rates the 2021 Model S (Raven I assume) as Poor. Raven LED headlights are the same as the refresh from what I understand.

IIHS rates the 2021 Model S (Raven I assume) as Poor. Raven LED headlights are the same as the refresh from what I understand.
I saw that before and it was what concerned me. That is why I thought it was interesting what Consumer Reports had to say. The one change that I read about was the adaptive headlights with the refreshed ones. Maybe CR is seeing an improvement with them.

Can anyone confirm if they still have the one-year premium connectivity trial? I purchased it when it still was a thing, but they removed it shortly after. When I look at my order agreement it still mentions the one-year premium connectivity, but idk if they will pull it. Can anyone confirm who has the vehicle the one-year premium connectivity?

Reactions: rdmdriving
Can anyone confirm if they still have the one-year premium connectivity trial? I purchased it when it still was a thing, but they removed it shortly after. When I look at my order agreement it still mentions the one-year premium connectivity, but idk if they will pull it. Can anyone confirm who has the vehicle the one-year premium connectivity?
Took delivery Friday (1/21) and did get the 1 year of free premium connectivity. It's a nice perk, but i'd buy it either way if I didn't get it. $10/month is well worth it to me for google earth display and voice command navigation to google listed destinations.

I saw that before and it was what concerned me. That is why I thought it was interesting what Consumer Reports had to say. The one change that I read about was the adaptive headlights with the refreshed ones. Maybe CR is seeing an improvement with them.

I can't say with certainty whether the headlights were adaptive before the refresh (turned with yoke direction), but yes, they absolutely do now. That said, I hate to be a wet blanket, but if I'm completely honest, the headlights aren't the best in the refresh. Pro tip: disable auto high beams and hold down high beam capacitive button for ~2s to force enable them at night. Auto in my refresh works even worse than it did in my M3P, which was already horrible. I drove my son to a friend's house at night in the neighborhood (mostly wooded and dark, ZERO cars seen going both directions) and high beams functioned for all of about 20 seconds of the 7 or 8 minute (round trip) drive. Just horrible.

To be frank, I don't trust a single word Consumer Reports says, good or bad. Way too many instances of them having zero clue as to what they're writing about.

edit: reread what I wrote and found it came across too negatively. IMO the lights are fine, but they could definitely be better. I'm not unhappy with them, except of course the auto high beam BS. I still wouldn't recommend waiting for the new setup unless this is the kind of thing that will really trigger you. Get your car and enjoy it (or, as with my case - get your car and book your immediate service appointment so you can enjoy it eventually).

Uh oh. Is this part of the logistical problems…

First I’ve seen it but it can’t be good.
40FDF735-3E42-4332-A31E-6531A8BF0ED4.jpeg

After 9 months finally got a VIN assigned!!

Details for those who want a point of comparison…. RN1149. Blue/white/21s in the North East.

VIN is NF465 (I think that is the latest batch right?)

A very small part of me wants to wait for updated headlights and now a normal horn, but a much larger part of me is pumped that the wait is nearly over! I figure you can always retrofit that stuff later for a price….

Anyways, my wife doesn’t care, so I had to share my excitement somewhere!

After 9 months finally got a VIN assigned!!

Details for those who want a point of comparison…. RN1149. Blue/white/21s in the North East.

VIN is NF465 (I think that is the latest batch right?)

A very small part of me wants to wait for updated headlights and now a normal horn, but a much larger part of me is pumped that the wait is nearly over! I figure you can always retrofit that stuff later for a price….

Anyways, my wife doesn’t care, so I had to share my excitement somewhere!
Congrats! I've seen a few NF468's, but they're all the same at this point until the new lights and horn comes out.

Well the emotional rollercoaster continues - woke up this morning to a 10 day window and my date pulled way in. To note I did change my payment to cash as others suggested ... not sure if that had anything to do with it. Current EDD 2/7-2/17
Two days after I got my 10 day window a VIN was assigned. Hoping yours follows the same pattern!

Well the emotional rollercoaster continues - woke up this morning to a 10 day window and my date pulled way in. To note I did change my payment to cash as others suggested ... not sure if that had anything to do with it. Current EDD 2/7-2/17
I think changing to a cash payment makes all the difference!!! If you are in the system as "cash payment" from Tesla's perspective, you are ready for delivery so the computer will put you back into the cue based on order date, RN#, etc. I am hoping to see my VIN in the next day or so.

Check Connectivity.

Info is near the bottom of the page under "Will there be a trial period for Premium Connectivity?"

Reactions: rdmdriving
RN11518, 6/21 order

was at May-June since last weekend. Removed trade in yesterday after talking to an SC at the dealership (he did not explicitly recommend doing this but suggested if I had not uploaded odometer pics etc, it could play a role). Today I got my second two week window... Feb 8-Feb 20. Possibly a coincidence, who the hell knows...Hoping it holds.

Am of the same thought now that you mention it.....one of them anyway... :)

If I have to take delivery of a VIN pre-new lights, I will forgo the PPF + tinting and flip it. I'm already 14k below current pricing, so the impact should be minimal with this crazy used car market the way it is.
And then you'd not buy a tesla or you'd pay $15k more to get one with new lights? ok