Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S LR Rough Ride?

MrMrC

Sep 26, 2021
Hey there, I just got my new Model S a few weeks ago. Really love the car but I have a question on the stiffness/roughness of the ride. I feel like I can feel a lot of the roads small imperfections through the suspension (little bit like a BMW or maybe a bit unrefined BMW). I have played around a bit with the suspension setting and no real change. I am running the standard 19 wheels with 42 PSI on all. Anybody has any comments if this is normal behavior or something I should ask Service to have a look at.

Regards

C

• Informative
Reactions: David29

McQ14

Nov 7, 2018
PA
Hey there, I just got my new Model S a few weeks ago. Really love the car but I have a question on the stiffness/roughness of the ride. I feel like I can feel a lot of the roads small imperfections through the suspension (little bit like a BMW or maybe a bit unrefined BMW). I have played around a bit with the suspension setting and no real change. I am running the standard 19 wheels with 42 PSI on all. Anybody has any comments if this is normal behavior or something I should ask Service to have a look at.

Regards

C
My impression is that it's a little bit on the rougher side, so I set the suspension to Comfort and it is better, but still not even as smooth as my wife's 2021 Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid. For a luxury sedan, I'd expect a more luxe ride. I have the 19" Continental Procontact RX M+S wheels and tires. I'm ok with it, coming from a Model 3 to the S. But I can understand why some people will have issues with the ride feel.

Reactions: Blue Stuff

Bull

Fortunately not EndlessBull
Supporting Member
Oct 25, 2020
Tucson, AZ

Regards

C
I have always run my tires lower than Tesla recommends. It makes a huge difference in road noise and feeling every tiny road defect. I usually play with the tire pressure until I find the sweet spot between noise and low pressure alerts. I also use a tread depth gauge and have not seen uneven wear.

• Informative
Reactions: Blue Stuff

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
Hmm, this seems contrary to my impressions from other early reports indicating that the refreshed Model S was more forgiving than earlier Model S versions, and especially compared to cars with steel coils. Curious what the Op is comparing the ride to -- any other Tesla Model S experience? Or just other brands?

MrMrC

Sep 26, 2021
I am comparing to other brands Audi mainly. I think my main concern is not the stiffness but that I feel alot of the "micro imperfections" in the road (its not "bad" at all, just not what I expected from a suspension of a car at this price level). I am thinking maybe lower PSI might work. The specs are calling for 42PSI, any thoughts from anybody on the forum on how far to lower it or has anybody experimented with it?

• Helpful
Reactions: David29

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC