Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Plaid Steering Yoke shaking at highway speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it happen on ALL highways at that speed? In my neck of the woods, they cut grooves in the road to help with drainage, which caused severe tramlining for pretty much every car I've had. But on some of the older freeways without the grooves, it's smooth as glass.
I just traveled through Indiana headed to Indy from Michigan, near Fort Wayne there are horizontal groves cut into the highway that made a horrible obnoxious sound and quite a vibration. Not sure this was intended.

I just traveled through Indiana headed to Indy from Michigan, near Fort Wayne there are horizontal groves cut into the highway that made a horrible obnoxious sound and quite a vibration. Not sure this was intended.

Yeah those are some of the grooves I'm talking about. In my area, they are parallel to the movement of traffic, but they cause 'tramlining' which creates vibrations. Horizontal would probably cause way worse vibrations.

If you took the wheels off a Model S that doesn't vibrate and put them on yours and it still vibrated then obviously something is wrong with the car. To the best of my knowledge, this hasn't been tested by anyone... I mean I get that it's not a very practical troubleshooting method but it would be fool proof.
I did almost that. I have 2 sets of wheels. Both vibrating at 80 mph. Tires were rebalanced & road forced ( checked out 100% ) still vibrating yoke @ 80mph. I don’t believe this song is always there. I think it came with an update at some point during this year, Because I do have my car since early 2022 and never recall this happening.
Went to service yesterday here’s Tesla Response.
IMG_3231.jpeg

2022 model s Plaid. Around 61mph and above felt shaking and vibration. 70 was hard to do with it getting worse. After reading threads I first had a balance and that did nothing. Then had local tire shop take off all tires from rim and the third one off the passenger Rear was the issue. FOAM insert was unglued causing the vibration. You can either re glue or throw the padding away. I chose the second and my car now drives as it should. Cheap, easy fix.

Reactions: Sam1
2022 model s Plaid. Around 61mph and above felt shaking and vibration. 70 was hard to do with it getting worse. After reading threads I first had a balance and that did nothing. Then had local tire shop take off all tires from rim and the third one off the passenger Rear was the issue. FOAM insert was unglued causing the vibration. You can either re glue or throw the padding away. I chose the second and my car now drives as it should. Cheap, easy fix.
Bad move.

If the tire had a defect (which appears to be the case), then the correct move would have been to take the tire to Michelin or Pirelli for a warranty claim and free replacement.

Of greater impact: there was a QC failure with that tire and Michelin or Pirelli will never know of it now . . . .

Please think of the "Big Picture" and impact for others when finding a possible systemic fault in a mass produced item.

Thanks.
Thank you.

Hi all -- I posted this in another thread which is a bit older but there is a lot more discussion in this one so I thought I'd post here too.

I have a 2021 Model S Plaid with the 19" rims. I've had the steering yoke vibration for a while now but only at speeds in the upper 80s to about 90mph. I switched from the summer Pirellis to the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4s. I started feeling the vibration a bit more but still in the upper 80s to 90mph. Recently, I had a bad suspension creak and the service center replaced the LH Aft Lower Front Suspension Link and did a 4 wheel alignment. I got the car back and the vibration is significantly worse...now you can feel it pretty much every time you are creeping up above 80mph.

Tesla initially blamed it on the tires but I've got the tires road forced to acceptable road force values (15lbs for left and 19lbs for right) but the vibration is still awful. So this led me to check in on this thread to see if anyone has actually gotten Tesla to fix this. I'm afraid I'll have to take it back into service and they're going to have no clue what to do here. I've got close to 50k miles on the car so warranty is about out.

Assume no one as of yet has successfully had this issue addressed?

Hi all -- I posted this in another thread which is a bit older but there is a lot more discussion in this one so I thought I'd post here too.

I have a 2021 Model S Plaid with the 19" rims. I've had the steering yoke vibration for a while now but only at speeds in the upper 80s to about 90mph. I switched from the summer Pirellis to the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4s. I started feeling the vibration a bit more but still in the upper 80s to 90mph. Recently, I had a bad suspension creak and the service center replaced the LH Aft Lower Front Suspension Link and did a 4 wheel alignment. I got the car back and the vibration is significantly worse...now you can feel it pretty much every time you are creeping up above 80mph.

Tesla initially blamed it on the tires but I've got the tires road forced to acceptable road force values (15lbs for left and 19lbs for right) but the vibration is still awful. So this led me to check in on this thread to see if anyone has actually gotten Tesla to fix this. I'm afraid I'll have to take it back into service and they're going to have no clue what to do here. I've got close to 50k miles on the car so warranty is about out.

Assume no one as of yet has successfully had this issue addressed?

Oh man. Good luck! Better get used to the vibrations if you want to keep the car