Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Plaid Steering Yoke shaking at highway speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Zero vibes up to 190 mph, June ‘23 MSP bought new, Track Pack, Forgeline 21” wheels running T2 PS4S tires.

I’d def check the run out values of any wheel you’re running on top of getting wheel+tire road force balanced by a capable Hunter tech.

Vibes absolutely suck and ruin the ownership experience. I’m super vigilant about this. Gl yall!

Zero vibes up to 190 mph, June ‘23 MSP bought new, Track Pack, Forgeline 21” wheels running T2 PS4S tires.

I’d def check the run out values of any wheel you’re running on top of getting wheel+tire road force balanced by a capable Hunter tech.

Vibes absolutely suck and ruin the ownership experience. I’m super vigilant about this. Gl yall!
So question for you. When you get your wheel+tires road forced balanced, do you know know what each wheel/tire's road force variation (P value) ends up being? I'm pretty sure our cars are extremely sensitive to the road force variation. For example, Discount Tire's machine's are programmed to say that a P value up to 35lbs is in the green and acceptable for passenger cars (non-trucks). I've argued that 35lbs is totally unacceptable for the MSP -- I'll get all kinds of vibrations at this value. In fact, when my RF wheel/tire assembly had a P value of 24lbs, I could feel a ton of vibration. When it was force matched to 16lbs, a lot of vibration went away but some still existed (but much better). I wonder for the vibrations to totally go away, we need to truly get each front tire/wheel assembly's P value in the single digits -- very hard to do IMO.

FYI, from a pic that I got from Tesla, their machine only indicates a 'green' P value if it is 15lbs or less. That makes more sense to me but again, difficult to get some Discount Tire stores to understand; to them, if their machine reads 'green', it's good. Grrr!

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
So question for you. When you get your wheel+tires road forced balanced, do you know know what each wheel/tire's road force variation (P value) ends up being? I'm pretty sure our cars are extremely sensitive to the road force variation. For example, Discount Tire's machine's are programmed to say that a P value up to 35lbs is in the green and acceptable for passenger cars (non-trucks). I've argued that 35lbs is totally unacceptable for the MSP -- I'll get all kinds of vibrations at this value. In fact, when my RF wheel/tire assembly had a P value of 24lbs, I could feel a ton of vibration. When it was force matched to 16lbs, a lot of vibration went away but some still existed (but much better). I wonder for the vibrations to totally go away, we need to truly get each front tire/wheel assembly's P value in the single digits -- very hard to do IMO.

FYI, from a pic that I got from Tesla, their machine only indicates a 'green' P value if it is 15lbs or less. That makes more sense to me but again, difficult to get some Discount Tire stores to understand; to them, if their machine reads 'green', it's good. Grrr!

So if you're willing to pay for it, can the tires be RFed down to say less than 8lbs? Is it just a matter of spending more time on the balancing process?

So if you're willing to pay for it, can the tires be RFed down to say less than 8lbs? Is it just a matter of spending more time on the balancing process?
If the road force variation is too high, I don't think they can be force matched that low. It all depends on how bad the initial road force variation is on the tire/wheel assembly and how much runout there is on the rim for force matching. The machine will estimate how much the new road force variation will be once force matched.

So a quick update. I went to another Discount Tire store and they took the time to try and get the road force value lower on the right tire/wheel assembly based on force matching. The lowest we got to on the right one was 16lbs of variation. For reference, the left one is no joke 4 lbs of variation and they didn't need to touch it. These should be well with an acceptable range.

On the drive back, the vibration is reduced quite a bit. Not gone but a lot better. I really do think these cars have a sensitive suspension/steering assembly and need an ultra low road force (like under 15 lbs, single digits would be ideal).
Are you sure the wheel(s) isn't (aren't) bent?

That will create all sorts of vibration issues . . . .

Are you sure the wheel(s) isn't (aren't) bent?

That will create all sorts of vibration issues . . . .
Yep, Tesla has checked the runout of the wheels and didn't find any excessive runout.

To everyone else, Tesla is ready to give me my car back without any solution, unfortunately. See below for what they checked and what they concluded. You can see their claim of another Model S Plaid in their inventory exhibiting this same vibration issue -- very unfortunate!

I think at this point, it's a waiting game on whether or not Tesla decides this issue warrants an engineering solution.

To all who have this issue, PLEASE bring this up to your service center so it is logged/documented. In my mind, the more folks who complain, the more likely Tesla will issue an actual solution. For know, we (who have this issue) are stuck unfortunately...

As I've said before, this issue ruins an otherwise wonderful driving experience with this car...

1708889671548.png

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Yep, Tesla has checked the runout of the wheels and didn't find any excessive runout.

To everyone else, Tesla is ready to give me my car back without any solution, unfortunately. See below for what they checked and what they concluded. You can see their claim of another Model S Plaid in their inventory exhibiting this same vibration issue -- very unfortunate!

I think at this point, it's a waiting game on whether or not Tesla decides this issue warrants an engineering solution.

To all who have this issue, PLEASE bring this up to your service center so it is logged/documented. In my mind, the more folks who complain, the more likely Tesla will issue an actual solution. For know, we (who have this issue) are stuck unfortunately...

As I've said before, this issue ruins an otherwise wonderful driving experience with this car...

View attachment 1021826
Well, that isn't good. Which year S Plaid?

If you had a round wheel, do you think you'd still notice? Have different toe values within the spec range been tried? Same at all heights and suspension damping settings?
With regard to the round wheel, that's a GREAT question. Anyone have one they would like to let me try for the good of the community? :)

I'm not sure about the toe values -- the tech noted that a 4 wheel alignment was performed (see my service sheet snippet above) but I'm not sure if he went out of this way to try different toe values. Good question though -- at this point, I'm not sure what else (if anything) he would be willing to try.

Yes, same at all suspension height and damping settings (medium or low / sport, auto, or comfort).

Is the vibration purely through the steering or do you feel something with the whole body of the car? If the former, I wonder if it could be the steering rack itself or the inner tie rods (which they don't sell separately) could be to blame.

Is the vibration purely through the steering or do you feel something with the whole body of the car? If the former, I wonder if it could be the steering rack itself or the inner tie rods (which they don't sell separately) could be to blame.
For me, purely in the steering yoke. If I took my hands off the yoke and didn't pay attention to it, I would never know that there was a vibration.

I would hope that when the technician (master tech BTW) did his detailed diagnosis of the problem, he would have checked the inner tie rods and aspects of the steering rack. If not, that would be a shame...

For me, purely in the steering yoke. If I took my hands off the yoke and didn't pay attention to it, I would never know that there was a vibration.

I would hope that when the technician (master tech BTW) did his detailed diagnosis of the problem, he would have checked the inner tie rods and aspects of the steering rack. If not, that would be a shame...
I wonder how much less mass there is in the yoke?

If not, that would be a shame...
You'd have to remove the boots to check those and Tesla's official party line is if there's something wrong with the inner tierods, the whole rack needs to be replaced (which is ridiculous, but I digress). And if there's something internal wrong to the steering rack, that'd be tough for a tech to diagnose.

Well, that isn't good. Which year S Plaid?
I see you're about to get a 2024. I would not take delivery until I had a chance to test drive it on the highway to ensure the yoke or wheel don't vibrate all the way up to at least 90mph. This might be a hard ask bit I wouldn't want to deal with service on this after taking delivery.

You'd have to remove the boots to check those and Tesla's official party line is if there's something wrong with the inner tierods, the whole rack needs to be replaced (which is ridiculous, but I digress). And if there's something internal wrong to the steering rack, that'd be tough for a tech to diagnose.
You think this could be the case if new in-inventory cars are exhibiting the same issue?

Given everything that has been checked, the only likely remiaing culprit is still a warped half shaft or warped cv spline channels.
Same question on this. If a new in-inventory car is exhibiting the same issue, do you think this could be the culprit?

Could it be an out of balance motor?
Man I'm not sure. Curious what others think
I wonder how much less mass there is in the yoke?
Yeah not sure. I'm sure the round wheel is heavier which might honestly help but would mask the true root cause of the issue.

I see you're about to get a 2024. I would not take delivery until I had a chance to test drive it on the highway to ensure the yoke or wheel don't vibrate all the way up to at least 90mph. This might be a hard ask bit I wouldn't want to deal with service on this after taking delivery.

Yeah. Good luck with that. No way they let him test drive it. Mine had the 80 mph vibration from first drive home. Really surprised @n2mb_racing is giving Tesla another shot after his 20 service visits. I know I couldn’t do it. Enjoying my vibration free Taycan

Reactions: teko
Yeah. Good luck with that. No way they let him test drive it. Mine had the 80 mph vibration from first drive home. Really surprised @n2mb_racing is giving Tesla another shot after his 20 service visits. I know I couldn’t do it. Enjoying my vibration free Taycan
I know. I might be regretting this. But, I couldn't have a Taycan as my only car. I need to be able to charge.

That would be a good reason to get a used model 3 performance while we wait for the '25 Taycan with NACS.

Reactions: Propofoln