Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Plaid Steering Yoke shaking at highway speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all -- I posted this in another thread which is a bit older but there is a lot more discussion in this one so I thought I'd post here too.

I have a 2021 Model S Plaid with the 19" rims. I've had the steering yoke vibration for a while now but only at speeds in the upper 80s to about 90mph. I switched from the summer Pirellis to the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4s. I started feeling the vibration a bit more but still in the upper 80s to 90mph. Recently, I had a bad suspension creak and the service center replaced the LH Aft Lower Front Suspension Link and did a 4 wheel alignment. I got the car back and the vibration is significantly worse...now you can feel it pretty much every time you are creeping up above 80mph.

Tesla initially blamed it on the tires but I've got the tires road forced to acceptable road force values (15lbs for left and 19lbs for right) but the vibration is still awful. So this led me to check in on this thread to see if anyone has actually gotten Tesla to fix this. I'm afraid I'll have to take it back into service and they're going to have no clue what to do here. I've got close to 50k miles on the car so warranty is about out.

Assume no one as of yet has successfully had this issue addressed?
I don't think anyone has had it fixed. Good luck

So a quick update. I went to another Discount Tire store and they took the time to try and get the road force value lower on the right tire/wheel assembly based on force matching. The lowest we got to on the right one was 16lbs of variation. For reference, the left one is no joke 4 lbs of variation and they didn't need to touch it. These should be well with an acceptable range.

On the drive back, the vibration is reduced quite a bit. Not gone but a lot better. I really do think these cars have a sensitive suspension/steering assembly and need an ultra low road force (like under 15 lbs, single digits would be ideal).

So a quick update. I went to another Discount Tire store and they took the time to try and get the road force value lower on the right tire/wheel assembly based on force matching. The lowest we got to on the right one was 16lbs of variation. For reference, the left one is no joke 4 lbs of variation and they didn't need to touch it. These should be well with an acceptable range.

On the drive back, the vibration is reduced quite a bit. Not gone but a lot better. I really do think these cars have a sensitive suspension/steering assembly and need an ultra low road force (like under 15 lbs, single digits would be ideal).
Strange that only the 22+ seem to have this problem.

Oh interesting. Haven't heard of any others on the 21. Mine didn't vibrate at all at high speeds.
Yeah mine didn't at all for the first 30ish-k miles. I'm almost at 50k (about out of warranty) now and was hoping Tesla would have actually identified a fix by now.

I'm going to try and drive my buddy's 2023 MSP which has the same Michelin Pilot Sport AS4s on it and see if I feel any hint of vibration on his. He has around 5k miles on it. I'll report back.

Yeah mine didn't at all for the first 30ish-k miles. I'm almost at 50k (about out of warranty) now and was hoping Tesla would have actually identified a fix by now.

I'm going to try and drive my buddy's 2023 MSP which has the same Michelin Pilot Sport AS4s on it and see if I feel any hint of vibration on his. He has around 5k miles on it. I'll report back.

he have the 21s?

To follow up, I drove my buddy's 2023 MSP with 5k miles (which again has the same Michelin Pilot Sport AS4s on factory 19" rims). Initial acceleration to 80+ and it felt pretty smooth (vibration free). I kept driving it at 80+ and also varied speeds and I noticed that some amount of vibration (light high frequency yoke oscillation) would start coming in at both 80+ and especially in the upper 70s. Comparing to mine, his is less but still there (i.e., his yoke is NOT 100% vibration/oscillation free). You just have to stay driving it at the higher speeds and you can eventually feel it coming in. What's interesting is that sometimes it is there and sometimes is it not (just like mine behaves).

I don't know if his front tires would road force at a lower number (variation) than mine -- they very well may which might explain why his feels better overall. OR his car is just newer and hasn't quite developed the mechanical issue that results in this annoying yoke vibration yet.

I know this doesn't help the community having this issue much but it still is a data point...

To follow up, I drove my buddy's 2023 MSP with 5k miles (which again has the same Michelin Pilot Sport AS4s on factory 19" rims). Initial acceleration to 80+ and it felt pretty smooth (vibration free). I kept driving it at 80+ and also varied speeds and I noticed that some amount of vibration (light high frequency yoke oscillation) would start coming in at both 80+ and especially in the upper 70s. Comparing to mine, his is less but still there (i.e., his yoke is NOT 100% vibration/oscillation free). You just have to stay driving it at the higher speeds and you can eventually feel it coming in. What's interesting is that sometimes it is there and sometimes is it not (just like mine behaves).

I don't know if his front tires would road force at a lower number (variation) than mine -- they very well may which might explain why his feels better overall. OR his car is just newer and hasn't quite developed the mechanical issue that results in this annoying yoke vibration yet.

I know this doesn't help the community having this issue much but it still is a data point...

It’s even worse on the 21s. It’s a shame Tesla doesn’t know how fo fix it

So far no vibrations on mine well into triple digit speeds. Running aftermarket 20s with high quality wheels (Volk TE37s) and have only ~4k miles though

The description of the vibrations reminds me of when I was chasing worn bushings on my M3.

So far no vibrations on mine well into triple digit speeds. Running aftermarket 20s with high quality wheels (Volk TE37s) and have only ~4k miles though

The description of the vibrations reminds me of when I was chasing worn bushings on my M3.
I think you nailed it. It really sounds like there are worn bushings somewhere in the suspension / steering components but Tesla can't seem to figure it out (as of now).

I've finally gotten the service center off of the misconception that it is my wheels and tires and they want to take another fresh look at the car so they asked me to create another appointment. If they are willing to look at it again, I'm game. I'd love for this issue to get fixed and also help others who are also having this issue.

It's strange. I had no vibrations at high speeds with my 21s on my '21. I even had the tires replaced at discount tire and I'm sure they didn't do a great job of balancing them....
Do you remember what the mileage was on your '21? Just wondering if you kept it for a while or got rid of it with fairly low mileage.

It’s even worse on the 21s. It’s a shame Tesla doesn’t know how fo fix it
Agreed, it otherwise ruins a wonderful experience.

I think you nailed it. It really sounds like there are worn bushings somewhere in the suspension / steering components but Tesla can't seem to figure it out (as of now).

I've finally gotten the service center off of the misconception that it is my wheels and tires and they want to take another fresh look at the car so they asked me to create another appointment. If they are willing to look at it again, I'm game. I'd love for this issue to get fixed and also help others who are also having this issue.

Do you remember what the mileage was on your '21? Just wondering if you kept it for a while or got rid of it with fairly low mileage.

Agreed, it otherwise ruins a wonderful experience.
Tesla bought mine back (for the other vibration issue) after 17k miles.