Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki 2021+ Model S Refresh - Missing/Incomplete Software Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was given a 2018 100D while my refreshed S was in the shop last week. I have to say, the new S is way quieter and smoother, and generally a far better driving experience. The older S (only 27k miles) just feels...heavy.

That said, I do miss a few things from the older S, particularly the energy display on driver side screen - I would do anything to get that for the refreshed S!

Also, I wouldn't mind a rolling stop mode - the new S put the car in "hold" mode whenever it stops, and it gives a small latch popping noise when pressing the gas again. I know, just a small pet-peeve of mine.

AFAIK Tesla has never said that the rear entertainment would support Bluetooth headsets...
I have a strong recollection otherwise from the launch event and this article from the time seems to support that recollection:

2021 Refresh Changes​

Audio and Media

• Premium 22-speaker audio with active noise canceling
  • Multi-device music and media over Bluetooth®
  • 17” center display, 12.3” driver’s display, and 8” second-row display
  • Gaming computer with 10 teraflops of processing power
  • Wireless controller compatibility

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
That could mean that you can pair two phones and nothing else. (Which people have been asking for for a very long time.) it says nothing about headsets or rear entertainment.
Start watching the official event video at the 18 minute mark and tell me what you think:

I don't know how else to interpret "you can do multiple wireless things simultaneously".

Last edited:
I don't know how else to interpret "you can do multiple wireless things simultaneously".
How about:
  • You can pair one phone for contacts and calendar.
  • You can simultaneously pair a second phone for music.
  • You can pair a third phone for phone calls.
And he pretty much only mentioned phones controlling the music, which can be done via the Tesla app now. (He also mentioned someone playing a video game, which they haven't implemented yet, though that may have gone out with the NHTSA bath water.)

How about:
  • You can pair one phone for contacts and calendar.
  • You can simultaneously pair a second phone for music.
  • You can pair a third phone for phone calls.
And he pretty much only mentioned phones controlling the music, which can be done via the Tesla app now. (He also mentioned someone playing a video game, which they haven't implemented yet, though that may have gone out with the NHTSA bath water.)
The obvious implication was that somebody could be gaming in the back on bluetooth headset without the person in front hearing. Even if they decide to get rid of the backseat gaming (which I don't see why the NHTSA would affect that since minivans do that right now), that doesn't say anything about the elimination of the planned bluetooth functionality.

On the lack of the energy app on the dash, I do note that there is a green bar at the bottom portion of the driver display which moves to one side when accelerating and using energy and to the other side when regenerative braking is doing its magic. The amount of green to one side or the other shows how much energy is being used or gained, Not a complete substitute but it is there.

Can someone tell me what is the latest version of MS LR software? I've only had the car nine days but am running 2022.3.102.

Can someone tell me what is the latest version of MS LR software? I've only had the car nine days but am running 2022.3.102.
My MS LR is updating to 2022.8.3 now. Odd thing about this update is it didn't ask or let me schedule the update. I just opened the app and it was downloading. Tuesday evening I updated to 2022.8.2.

Edit: Once it downloaded then it asked if I wanted to install now or schedule. Apparently, I hadn't noticed that it downloads the update prior to asking.

Last edited:
My MS LR is updating to 2022.8.3 now. Odd thing about this update is it didn't ask or let me schedule the update. I just opened the app and it was downloading. Tuesday evening I updated to 2022.8.2.

Edit: Once it downloaded then it asked if I wanted to install now or schedule. Apparently, I hadn't noticed that it downloads the update prior to asking.
I'm installing 2022.8.3 now as well... Let's see if anything is fixed.