Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model X Long Range + Has Pedestrian Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm taking it that a lot of people in this thread haven't been driving an EV in a busy school zone for very long.
The speaker on EVs will help you get out of the parking lot. No matter how quiet you think new ICE cars are, they are nothing compared to an EV @ <5 mph. It is a PITA to get out of a parking lot when the kids can't hear your car. It shouldn't make a big difference but it does.

I'll leave ours intact.
Sounds good leave it connected, most will. My schools are pull through so I never have reverse with kids around. I am paranoid about pedestrians, drive slowly, and use my eyes and all the cameras. I feel safe. If I am concerned I honk the horn. The reverse sound bothers me, pulling in to park at midnight it’s excessive. There should be a one time override, then I might leave it. Tesla made it very easy to disconnect...

Sounds good leave it connected, most will. My schools are pull through so I never have reverse with kids around. I am paranoid about pedestrians, drive slowly, and use my eyes and all the cameras. I feel safe. If I am concerned I honk the horn. The reverse sound bothers me, pulling in to park at midnight it’s excessive. There should be a one time override, then I might leave it. Tesla made it very easy to disconnect...

It's not just schools, it's any crowded parking lot with lots of pedestrians. I often get stuck behind people walking in the middle of the parking lot because they don't hear me coming up behind them. I wish I had this speaker for those situations since using the horn is a little too aggressive, especially since they often have no idea I am behind them.

Reactions: BM3B and MXLRplus
My Volt has it. My X missed it by a month. I don't mind it except when I visiting my cabin in the summer at night. It's a quiet dirt road with cottages having windows open and here comes the unnecessary noisy pedestrian sound (pollution). Imagine a tunnel in traffic with a 100 cars making that noise. They should allow a temporary defeat that resets, say after you go over 30 MPH. That would be a reasonable compromise. Because most of the time I don't care.

I would never disconnect it for liability reasons.
The sound only comes on if you are below a certain speed. I want to say the sound on my sisters MY stopped at about 10 mph. It is annoying though

On my 2021 MX the pedestrian warning only turns on when I reverse. It's completely silent otherwise. Not sure if this was a new update.
That's not my experience, it's just much more obvious in reverse since it makes an unnatural sound. In forward they use similar (or even identical) sound as the electric motor that scales with speed. so you are not as aware, but it is there and loud. I know because I tested disconnecting it.

Reactions: andrewdtran
I'm taking it that a lot of people in this thread haven't been driving an EV in a busy school zone for very long.
The speaker on EVs will help you get out of the parking lot. No matter how quiet you think new ICE cars are, they are nothing compared to an EV @ <5 mph. It is a PITA to get out of a parking lot when the kids can't hear your car. It shouldn't make a big difference but it does.

I'll leave ours intact.
Agreed. Not just schools but pretty much any parking lot. In the past I’ve stalked oblivious pedestrians in Target or mall parking lots not wanting to startle them with a honk....at least now they turn around and move over. The requirement for the pedestrian warning system was put in for a reason (there are people hard of hearing out there) so disabling it on purpose just because you find it annoying is a bit irresponsible in my opinion. Personal convenience over public safety....where have we heard this before in 2020??

Do people without it feel unsafe? Elon made it the easiest modification. When I approach a blind alley or need to get someone’s attention I roll down the windows and crank my classic rock. Old school.

I am glad it’s offered I just think we should have a choice on when to use it or mute it.