Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 model Y scan my Tesla battery size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is from the CAN bus (attached).

I'm not sure the background on the Y, but on the S they labeled their battery pack as 75 kWh but it had 80 kWh, software locked.

Attachments

• 20201208_140425.jpg
    20201208_140425.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 746
  • Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
So many numbers...the picture in post #6 shows a label indicating a battery pack in a 2020 model Y as a BT37 74 kWh so in "tesla speak" is this a 74, 75 or 78 kWh battery?

I agree it is confusing. The sticker in the picture of the 2020 says 74, but I think they round up and just say it’s a 75kWh battery. My question is why would they put a sticker that’s supposed to identify the battery pack on a car and only label it with what’s usable in that pack. Seems like you would label it with the total capacity of the battery.

This is the way it has been done in the past with S and X if I remember correctly. For example a Model X 75D had a sticker on it that said 75kWh to identify the battery, but the real usable range of that pack was 72.6 kWh. Meaning the stickers in the past have always listed the total size of the pack not just what is usable.

Maybe a dumb question, but isn't it supposed to only have 75kWh? So the fact it has more means it is a bigger size? I'm not sure but wouldn't some percentage of the battery be reserved so even if the car goes to 0% there is technically still power?

It needs 10% more than 75kwh - or you'd get a real slow charge the last 5%.

Also - how do you think they're keeping the charge percentages up at 4 and 5 years? have a few extra cells - and use them to release the energy - so at 8 years they meet battery warranty.

It needs 10% more than 75kwh - or you'd get a real slow charge the last 5%.

Also - how do you think they're keeping the charge percentages up at 4 and 5 years? have a few extra cells - and use them to release the energy - so at 8 years they meet battery warranty.
So does that mean that the 82kWh battery really has 82kWh and the 82kWh battery would have ~90kWh to accommodate for battery degradation?

My Model Y is scheduled for delivery in 2 days. I am wondering if I should delay it and wait for confirmation that it has the 82 kWh battery.

If there is a way to check the battery capacity at the time of inspection, you may wish to decline it knowing that a heated steering wheel (unconfirmed), upgraded console, and larger battery are right around the corner. Dual laminated front passenger windows, dimming side view mirrors, and USB in cubby (except performance) all seem like a real thing now after VIN 75K+.

These cars are always being refined, but the above changes are known to be coming up so for $100 you can feel better about your future purchase. There is no guarantee that something like this won't happen after you submit your subsequent order as more refinements (single piece rear subframe, 4680 cells, exterior facelifts, etc.) might be in the pipeline hence, the responses of "just go ahead and buy it, already" being fairly sound advice. Good news is that it seems wait times are greatly reduced for November and you can kind of make sure you get the most recent rumored upgrades which in my opinion are worth waiting for.

• Helpful
If there is a way to check the battery capacity at the time of inspection, you may wish to decline it knowing that a heated steering wheel (unconfirmed), upgraded console, and larger battery are right around the corner. Dual laminated front passenger windows, dimming side view mirrors, and USB in cubby (except performance) all seem like a real thing now after VIN 75K+.

These cars are always being refined, but the above changes are known to be coming up so for $100 you can feel better about your future purchase. There is no guarantee that something like this won't happen after you submit your subsequent order as more refinements (single piece rear subframe, 4680 cells, exterior facelifts, etc.) might be in the pipeline hence, the responses of "just go ahead and buy it, already" being fairly sound advice. Good news is that it seems wait times are greatly reduced for November and you can kind of make sure you get the most recent rumored upgrades which in my opinion are worth waiting for.
VIN cutoff isn't necessarily a good proxy at/near the margin to determine if upgrades made it into the vehicle because they're not sequential. I have a 75k+ VIN and did not receive the USB in the glovebox.

• Informative
Seems to be a lot of non-definitive evidence supporting the 82kwh battery in the new MY. But to me that is balanced by Tesla's silence.
If it was true why wouldn't they announce it to help push their end of year sales targets? I'm sure they would be aware that many people are waiting for this confirmation before placing an order.