Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MSP to a 2023 MSP. Anyone traded up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help me guys. Scheduled to pick up my ultra-red MSP tomorrow and selling my 2021 MSP. Has anyone here got the newer car and is It worth the $$$ to trade up? Any bug differences in way it drives or day to day stuff? Salespeople said the build quality is improved, and know it has new headlights/taillights/clearer roof/tilt screen/steam, but anything else ?

Isn't it a little late to ask those questions? :)

There are other owners here who have upgraded older Plaids to new ones, so you'll probably hear from them. You'll be getting HW4 with better cameras, and maybe HD radar (no one knows if that's going to be used), but you'll be losing ultrasonic sensors which means you'll lose Park Assist, Autopark, and Summon until Tesla makes vision-based versions available for your car. Recent builds have added vision-based Park Assist to the 3/Y, but not yet to the S/X.

Isn't it a little late to ask those questions? :)

There are other owners here who have upgraded older Plaids to new ones, so you'll probably hear from them. You'll be getting HW4 with better cameras, and maybe HD radar (no one knows if that's going to be used), but you'll be losing ultrasonic sensors which means you'll lose Park Assist, Autopark, and Summon until Tesla makes vision-based versions available for your car. Recent builds have added vision-based Park Assist to the 3/Y, but not yet to the S/X.

Hey man. Can always refuse delivery! I sat in an UR 2023 MSP the other night with the steering wheel and regret ordering the yoke over the wheel. The wheel was very nice.

Help me guys. Scheduled to pick up my ultra-red MSP tomorrow and selling my 2021 MSP. Has anyone here got the newer car and is It worth the $$$ to trade up? Any bug differences in way it drives or day to day stuff? Salespeople said the build quality is improved, and know it has new headlights/taillights/clearer roof/tilt screen/steam, but anything else ?
You tell us what you’re paying as the difference and we’ll tell you if it’s worth it.

Reactions: Aldony
I am not sure I'd consider a 2023 "trading up". Depends on what you value.

I love the new color, but I likely would have waited to see how the HW4 thing settles out and how good they get, if at all, to replacing the functionality of the USS sensors. I don't see the roof as an upgrade to me. I would have loved to not have any sort of pano roof to begin with. That would have been an upgrade I'd be interested in.

Who knows if the new brake pads are an upgrade yet. We all know the real answer to the brake question is the CCB upgrade.

I guess if I had money burning a hole in my pocket I'd consider it but nothing really compelling for me after the March 2022 upgrades of lights and Steam mattered that much to me. Hence the reason I bought a 2022 with the matrix lights and Steam, but kept USS, versus a 2023 with HW4, new roof but without USS.

I guess it would all come down to the color more than anything for me if USS didn't matter. At least I'd know going in this time how bad I'd likely get hammered on depreciation.

Reactions: TMSfanatic
I am not sure I'd consider a 2023 "trading up". Depends on what you value.

I love the new color, but I likely would have waited to see how the HW4 thing settles out and how good they get, if at all, to replacing the functionality of the USS sensors. I don't see the roof as an upgrade to me. I would have loved to not have any sort of pano roof to begin with. That would have been an upgrade I'd be interested in.

Who knows if the new brake pads are an upgrade yet. We all know the real answer to the brake question is the CCB upgrade.

I guess if I had money burning a hole in my pocket I'd consider it but nothing really compelling for me after the March 2022 upgrades of lights and Steam mattered that much to me. Hence the reason I bought a 2022 with the matrix lights and Steam, but kept USS, versus a 2023 with HW4, new roof but without USS.

I guess it would all come down to the color more than anything for me if USS didn't matter. At least I'd know going in this time how bad I'd likely get hammered on depreciation.

I know it’s a small thing but I envy the new tail lights. I feel my S is outdated looking at the non LED tailights. New Matrix headlights would be nice too. Went the tilt screen Alot too. Problem is too I will have to sell my Plaid privately because Tesla screwed me on trade in value. I have a private party offer $20,000 higher than Tesla’s trade in quote. More than covers the tax hit but wish I got tax credit

The new headlights are the best upgrade, and once "unlocked" could be a massive upgrade. I had the old lights and the new ones definitely have more even light output. I put the light shows up there with the fart sounds on the personal usefulness for me.

The matrix lights were one of the reasons I wanted a newer 2022 as I missed that upgrade by just a few weeks. Also nice to have Steam game options as well.

Maybe sell yours and find a later 2022 at a good price. You will still get a lot of nice upgrades for maybe not much more than you sell yours for. Then upgrade to the 2024 if a significant upgrade.

The new headlights are the best upgrade, and once "unlocked" could be a massive upgrade. I had the old lights and the new ones definitely have more even light output. I put the light shows up there with the fart sounds on the personal usefulness for me.

The matrix lights were one of the reasons I wanted a newer 2022 as I missed that upgrade by just a few weeks. Also nice to have Steam game options as well.

Maybe sell yours and find a later 2022 at a good price. You will still get a lot of nice upgrades for maybe not much more than you sell yours for. Then upgrade to the 2024 if a significant upgrade.

well, just really wanted ultra red

Reactions: GSP
IMG_2661.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2657.jpeg
    IMG_2657.jpeg
    767.4 KB · Views: 36