Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MY wheel alignment issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, so I just had my Y in December. My steering wheel is tilt to the right. I went for an appointment and they did a four wheel alignment. However, now the the steering wheel is tilted to the left. I immediately went back and the SC says that it will take about 100 miles highway driving to re-learn the position after the alignment.

I was just wondering did they tell you the same thing? or was your steering wheel centered perfectly after the alignment?

I never heard of calibration of steering wheel by driving after alignment and was wondering if they are B.S. me?
I’ve never heard this and I think it’s BS.

My wheel was off 2 degrees to the right too. Had it aligned at a Tesla approved body shop and asked them to fix it, which they did.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
The VERY FIRST THING a FE shop does is center the steering wheel, and then brace it so that it doesn't move. Any adjustments to the alignment are done with the steering wheel centered.

This has been my experience in several shops and dealerships.

Hi, so I just had my Y in December. My steering wheel is tilt to the right. I went for an appointment and they did a four wheel alignment. However, now the the steering wheel is tilted to the left. I immediately went back and the SC says that it will take about 100 miles highway driving to re-learn the position after the alignment.

I was just wondering did they tell you the same thing? or was your steering wheel centered perfectly after the alignment?

I never heard of calibration of steering wheel by driving after alignment and was wondering if they are B.S. me?

Definitely B.S. The alignment won’t get better on its own. I picked up my Y at the end of Sept. My alignment was off right away. It took over 1 month to get an appt at my local SC. The steering wheel was off right at first then off to the left after the alignment.

I drove for a couple weeks before I made another appt for alignment (plus front dash/driver door panel replacement & aero shield replacement).

By the time I got the 2nd appt it was 1 month later than the 1st alignment. They said I should have come in sooner but it takes so long to get a SC appt. The steering wheel isn’t perfectly centered, it’s still slightly off to the left, better than the 1st attempt. I plan to another alignment at an independent shop when I get my wheels rotated.

There was a post recently about severe tire wear..the car has only 7,000 miles. Pics showed 2 tires that were totally worn, so it’s best to get alignment issues addressed asap.

On another note, I just got my car back from warranty repairs (waited over 3 months). They scratched a panel which they polished out but created a new door alignment problem (it’s so much worse now) and damaged one camera housing with their power washer. Not to mention the SC chipped my screen protector (I suppose that’s better than the screen itself) and damaged the tweeter on the driver door (now replaced). I’m so f**** tired of misc repairs already and extra damage when I get the car back. End rant :|

Mobile service has been great so far though.

Good luck!

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Eric9610: Phone them and ask for a printout of the FE measurements, before and after.

Hmm...now I'm wondering if all Tesla SCs have FE alignment equipment? Is it possible that they send cars out to an alignment shop????

@pinewman I did not see your comment and already picked the car up.

They aligned the steering wheel and also a 4 wheel alignment. All was done at no charge. I think the car was in good alignment prior to taking it in, it was more to fix the steering not being centered. they did not send the car out and the SC has alignment tools.

Also I had no mention of drive 100miles to let it calibrate, it was aligned and centered at pickup.

Eric9610: You can, and should, in my opinion, request a printout of before and after. The printout has information for future use, as it shows the range of adjustments available for the vehicle.
Glad to hear they fixed the steering wheel position.

Here are the read outs of before, yellow tint settings and after white. It looks like the rears were out of tolerance.

Attachments

• 8621572A-8321-4DF7-B54A-435572BAF0BB.jpeg
    8621572A-8321-4DF7-B54A-435572BAF0BB.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 614
  • 41E2CD77-3400-4C64-8203-A154FBB2D161.jpeg
    41E2CD77-3400-4C64-8203-A154FBB2D161.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 213
Reactions: SeasonedTech
Here are the read outs of before, yellow tint settings and after white. It looks like the rears were out of tolerance.

One thing very fishy about your before and after is how the car's front right camber changed by .2 degrees, but everything else stayed very similar, or the exact same in the case of the left and right caster. The only way to change camber in the front is to slide around the top upper control cradle, and it would be very unusual to make a change of camber without affecting the caster at all.

Just a little weird. Personally I have come to distrust alignment shops and whether their equipment is well maintained and whether the techs know what they're doing, or if they know too much, like how to fake readings. That's why I bought the tools to do it myself. I sleep better after a lot of bad experiences.

Reactions: Koolio46
@TLLMRRJ i agree 100% with you about alignment.

for me the most important thing was getting the steering wheel set to center as the alignment seemed on from the factory. It was just odd having the wheel off center by up to 5 degrees.

Your toe definitely looks good for low tire noise and wear, so that's a good thing.

Agree -- it really bugs me when the steering wheel is off, even a little. Mine was way off to the right, like yours, from the factory and took a lot of fun out of my first drive from Dallas to Houston when I took delivery of my Model 3.

I find the design of the Tesla's steering wheel with that big chrome T acting as a compass pointer and the visual effect of the sloping dash (especially in white) makes it really hard to decide what is perfectly straight. So luckily I have the tools to do alignments myself and tweak it over and over until it's perfect for me. An alignment shop would have fired me as a customer before getting it to my liking.

First drive in the car and noticed the same issue, car pulls to the left. Took the to the SC for other issues (distortion front windshield, gaps, etc) and its much better but still feel a slight pull to the left. Now upon acceleration there's a wobble/vibration felt in the steering wheel. To be continued....need to make another appointment.

First drive in the car and noticed the same issue, car pulls to the left. Took the to the SC for other issues (distortion front windshield, gaps, etc) and its much better but still feel a slight pull to the left. Now upon acceleration there's a wobble/vibration felt in the steering wheel. To be continued....need to make another appointment.

Sounds like they left something loose. They do that.

My rear toe links were loose and it caused wandering under full acceleration.

I picked my car around Oct 28 and VIN series is 666xx.

Wife and I have been feeling a little pull to the left and also car making loud noise and being wobbly at high speeds. Took it to Burbank CA Tesla and a mechanic drove it with me. He confirmed the wheel misalignment and my car is in service.

Just wanted to give a heads up to folks who picked up recently as the misalignment may not be immediately noticeable. My car has about 1400 miles so far..
Did you get charged for it? I have had my SR MY for 5 weeks/3,000 miles now and the wheel is slightly to the right and it pulls to the right and if I straighten the wheel it pulls to the left. My tesla service center which is only 15 min from my house told me it's not covered any warranty and I would've had to report it within 24 hrs of taking delivery of my car and I have to pay $113 for a wheel alignment.

Wife and I have been feeling a little pull to the left and also car making loud noise and being wobbly at high speeds. Took it to Burbank CA Tesla and a mechanic drove it with me. He confirmed the wheel misalignment and my car is in service.

Just wanted to give a heads up to folks who picked up recently as the misalignment may not be immediately noticeable. My car has about 1400 miles so far..

Did they charge you? I've had my SR MY for 5 weeks now/3,000 miles and the wheel is slightly to the right and pulls to the right, when I straighten out the wheel it pulls to the left. My tesla service center is 15 min from me and they told me today that I would've had to report it within 24 hrs of taking delivery, and it's something that is not covered by warranty and I have to pay $113 for a wheel alignment. I told them that's a bunch of bull and I've NEVER had a car need an alignment within 1 month/driving locally here in Las Vegas.

Did they charge you? I've had my SR MY for 5 weeks now/3,000 miles and the wheel is slightly to the right and pulls to the right, when I straighten out the wheel it pulls to the left. My tesla service center is 15 min from me and they told me today that I would've had to report it within 24 hrs of taking delivery, and it's something that is not covered by warranty and I have to pay $113 for a wheel alignment. I told them that's a bunch of bull and I've NEVER had a car need an alignment within 1 month/driving locally here in Las Vegas.
no it was free. They gave you a lot of BS..