Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MY wheel alignment issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree…. That is what happened to me. Noticed extra wear by accident… just happened to glance at tire. Badly worn on outer edge. Less than 6000 miles.
Took the M Y to Rochester for service. They said "normal" wear. LOL. Got two new tires on rear ... my cost ... car had 6003 miles on it when I got home. They did an alignment as attached. Said misalignment probably not the cause... maybe my driving style. Or might be "potholes". Having to get new tires at 6000 miles is very strange for me. However my sister said same thing happened to her on her Jag.... but her employer paid the costs... their car. LOL.

Attachments

• alignment model Y at 6000mi.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 105
Took the M Y to Rochester for service. They said "normal" wear. LOL. Got two new tires on rear ... my cost ... car had 6003 miles on it when I got home. They did an alignment as attached. Said misalignment probably not the cause... maybe my driving style. Or might be "potholes". Having to get new tires at 6000 miles is very strange for me. However my sister said same thing happened to her on her Jag.... but her employer paid the costs... their car. LOL.

I always love hearing the bs stories these pros tell their customers! "Potholes" wore out the rear tire treads, LOL! I swear they have a handbook with stupid excuses that they all use.

I wrecked my 2021 M3P over weekend. It was raining and I lost control out of nowhere. It had 15k miles on it. When I would eyeball my tires everything seems fine, but after getting it on the tow truck I realized that the inner edges of both rear tires of the were completely gone (worn through the tire casing), while the outer tire was perfectly fine. I’m positive I received the car with a bad alignment, however nothing stood out to me initially. My 8 year old son was in the car with me; luckily were both okay. I’m going to contact Tesla.

My Feb 2022 MYP delivery had bad alignment right from the Fremont factory. I could tell on the drive home that something was off. Service center gave me an alignment. It sucks they are only open Monday thru Friday around here; had to take time off work for service.

I wrecked my 2021 M3P over weekend. It was raining and I lost control out of nowhere. It had 15k miles on it. When I would eyeball my tires everything seems fine, but after getting it on the tow truck I realized that the inner edges of both rear tires of the were completely gone (worn through the tire casing), while the outer tire was perfectly fine. I’m positive I received the car with a bad alignment, however nothing stood out to me initially. My 8 year old son was in the car with me; luckily were both okay. I’m going to contact Tesla.
Sorry about your accident, glad both you and your son are okay.

I can't imagine going 15k miles w/o visually inspecting ALL tires, all tread surfaces, as well as periodically checking tire PSI. (TPMS in a Tesla does this for you, you just have to LOOK for it.

This can only be considered as neglect. No auto manufacturer would/should cover any unusual tire wear at 15k miles, if the auto owner neglected to inform them that there was a problem. It's also probable you lost control because of the excessive tire wear.

Do the service centers typically charge for fixing an alignment issue that results in the wear of the inside rear tires? This happened to my S to the point that one of the rear tires corded on the inside edge while the rest of the tire looked ok. I thought this was probably a one-off issue with my car, but it sounds like it's prevalent with other cars and models from the factory.

PossumK: If you drove your car long enough to create that much wear, the problem is on you, not Tesla (or any other manufacturer). You are responsible for periodic inspections of your own car.

Am I responsible for poor alignment from the factory? You give Tesla too much credit. I've learned my lesson with the S that the alignment from the factory might not be ideal and don't want to see the same mistake repeated with my Y if/when it ever comes. If they set the car up with poor alignment that will prematurely wear tires, they should correct it. The reports in this thread confirm that poor alignment from the factory could still happen.

Last edited:
Alignment issues from the factory are not exclusive to Tesla. Ask me how I know: VW, Ford, Nissan, Toyota...in my experience, all of them needed correction.

Noticing uneven tire wear is the responsibility of the car's owner. Similar to brake fluid, oil level, battery, etc...

PossumK: How many miles on your S before you noticed the worn rear tires?

Last edited:
Reactions: thesmokingman
That is akin to saying that noticing panel gap issues, or whatever else is common with Telsas that already need to be fixed upon delivery, is the responsibility of the customer, and it is not something that should have been correct when received by the customer.

I'm not sure why you're trying to shift the topic of discussion. This thread is about wheel alignment issues on cars as delivered. My question is whether or not Tesla will charge you to have the alignment issue on these relatively new cars corrected.

Last edited:
Within a 100 miles of purchase, a warranty item. After that, AS WITH EVERY MANUFACTURER, it is the owner's responsibility.

After 100 miles, there's just no way to prove the alignment issue was from delivery, or was caused by a pothole. Sorry that you don't understand that.

Reactions: thesmokingman
So hostile...
How is someone reasonably supposed to notice a wheel alignment issue that results in premature inside tread wear within 100 miles? Short of obvious indicators like an off-center or pulling steering wheel, you won't notice anything. Tread wear that is enough to visually see will take much more than 100 miles. Inside tread wear can be caused by too much toe out and/or camber. Short of having alignment tools like toe plates and a camber gauge at home, I don't think these can visually be seen unless they are way beyond a reasonable specification.

Disagreement isn't being hostile. I'm simply stating how any manufacturer would defend their decision to deny any alignment claim after 100 miles.

How many miles until you noticed the severe wear on the interior of your rear tires?