Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MY wheel alignment issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked my car around Oct 28 and VIN series is 666xx.

Wife and I have been feeling a little pull to the left and also car making loud noise and being wobbly at high speeds. Took it to Burbank CA Tesla and a mechanic drove it with me. He confirmed the wheel misalignment and my car is in service.

Just wanted to give a heads up to folks who picked up recently as the misalignment may not be immediately noticeable. My car has about 1400 miles so far..

Reactions: lchen6
Mine feels solid but the steering wheel is slightly to the right...going Dec 1 for this and a few other issues present at delivery
I’ve had 2 alignments in 3000 mi. First one at the Tesla service center (800mi) due to steering wheel pointed right when going straight and @ 3000 mi at a national tire chain after I noticed inside tread wear on the rear tires. I’m not going back to tesla for an alignment even if it’s free.

• Informative
Reactions: TLLMRRJ and Picasso
All new Tesla owners should do themselves a favor and get a good alignment at an independent shop as soon as they can after taking delivery.

That will most likely give you longer tire life, less tire noise, and improved range because many Teslas are misaligned from the factory.

Reactions: Koolio46 and bomax
All new Tesla owners should do themselves a favor and get a good alignment at an independent shop as soon as they can after taking delivery.

That will most likely give you longer tire life, less tire noise, and improved range because many Teslas are misaligned from the factory.
I’ve been debating doing this on mine even though I don’t have any observable signs of misalignment. I did a proactive alignment when I got an X5 and didn’t have any tire wear issues.

I’ve been debating doing this on mine even though I don’t have any observable signs of misalignment. I did a proactive alignment when I got an X5 and didn’t have any tire wear issues.

Many times, the only sign will be once you've ruined your tires. Wheels out of alignment don't always mean it won't track straight or the steering wheel is tilted to one side.

Reactions: Koolio46
picked car few hours back and ride seems to have improved.. less noise and wobbly on the freeway...seems to drive straight on city roads.. no more pulling left..
Hi, so I just had my Y in December. My steering wheel is tilt to the right. I went for an appointment and they did a four wheel alignment. However, now the the steering wheel is tilted to the left. I immediately went back and the SC says that it will take about 100 miles highway driving to re-learn the position after the alignment.

I was just wondering did they tell you the same thing? or was your steering wheel centered perfectly after the alignment?

I never heard of calibration of steering wheel by driving after alignment and was wondering if they are B.S. me?

Hi, I picked my car up on Jan 4th with vin 97XXX and less than 300 miles on the clock today. My steering wheel is off 2-5 degrees to the passenger side when the wheels are completely straight. I have an appointment on Friday for this to be resolved. After my appointment I will update.

Hi, I picked my car up on Jan 4th with vin 97XXX and less than 300 miles on the clock today. My steering wheel is off 2-5 degrees to the passenger side when the wheels are completely straight. I have an appointment on Friday for this to be resolved. After my appointment I will update.

Do you mind asking them about this so call "self calibration"? I think it sounded fishy. I think you should center the steering wheel first, lock it, and then do your alignment.

What I am afraid what happen was they simply start the alignment process without center the steering wheel first.

Hi, so I just had my Y in December. My steering wheel is tilt to the right. I went for an appointment and they did a four wheel alignment. However, now the the steering wheel is tilted to the left. I immediately went back and the SC says that it will take about 100 miles highway driving to re-learn the position after the alignment.

I was just wondering did they tell you the same thing? or was your steering wheel centered perfectly after the alignment?

I never heard of calibration of steering wheel by driving after alignment and was wondering if they are B.S. me?

Hmm they did not tell me that. Mine seems okay for now. They seem to be B.Sing you.

Do you mind asking them about this so call "self calibration"? I think it sounded fishy. I think you should center the steering wheel first, lock it, and then do your alignment.

What I am afraid what happen was they simply start the alignment process without center the steering wheel first.

This is a really good idea! I will ask them when I take the car in! I will update all after my appointment

I found you need to ask specifically to center the steering wheel and 4-wheel align, or the SC will only align. I had to get 2 alignments (both free of charge) from my SC, before my wheel was centered and it wasn't pulling to the left.
Thank you.

I feel like I had to go again if it does not "self-calibrate" after 100 miles. In my request, I specifically stated "the steering wheel is tilted to the right while driving straight. Doesn't feel like a pull, just off". I even told the advisor specifically after. I then told them again after I get my car and they told me to drive 100 miles... so....

Just curious, how long did you wait between the first and the 2nd appointments? I am assuming they first did the alignment for you but the steering wheel is still off, and then you go again for the "centering" of steering wheel?

I didn't want to wait too long so they can say I hit a pothole or something and won't cover. At the same time, right now the appointment is like one month off so I may have to just show up to Tesla as Walk-in.

Hmm they did not tell me that. Mine seems okay for now. They seem to be B.Sing you.
thanks. Just curious, prior to taking it for service, besides pulling to left, wobbling and the noise, was your steering wheel centered prior to the SC visit? or was your Steering wheel also off center.... prior to the service.

I am assuming your steering wheel is now perfectly horizontal when tracking straight.

thanks. Just curious, prior to taking it for service, besides pulling to left, wobbling and the noise, was your steering wheel centered prior to the SC visit? or was your Steering wheel also off center.... prior to the service.

I am assuming your steering wheel is now perfectly horizontal when tracking straight.
yes it straight now from what I can tell. I will check at night as my wife has taken it to work. But I am pretty sure I felt and saw it straight