Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivery day! A short story.

I'm pretty excited to get the vehicle. We arrive about 12:15PM and find the car off to the side of the building. My wife and I start inspecting. The first thing I notice is that the car has temp tags. It shouldn't. It should be ready to go to put my tags on it. That's perplexing, which will need to be asked about. We continue inspecting. We see two small paint defects. The first on the rear left side passenger door. It's a lump and quite noticeable. The second is a very minor one on the rear right top of the trunk. We also see what looks like a cracked driver door window but can't tell without opening the door.

I'm not clicking "Accept Delivery" without talking to a Tesla rep and checking that thing on the inside of the door.

I go in to talk to Tesla. A friendly rep comes outside and unlocks the doors for us. The "cracked" window is just some glue on the window. Easy enough. The two minor paint defects she explains are "take it or leave it". I can refuse delivery they will repair them. If I take the vehicle and they get worse, Tesla will not cover them. I didn't debate the how or why because...

My wife says, "You aren't taking this car."

She points our the rear bumper has a chip about 5mm of no paint and a huge scuff, about 12 inches on the back. Looks like something hit the vehicle and scuffed it. Since the chip is down to the bumper color, the Tesla rep says I couldn't take delivery if I want to. The Tesla rep starts to use some yellow tape to mark all of the paint issues we've found including the bumper.

Inside was ok. There were some minor scuffs from people's shoes on the drivers side that wouldn't come out with slight rubbing, which I also identified as need to be fixed. I didn't notice anything with the seats or anything else.

Looks like Tesla is taking my car to the body shop for the work on the bumper. The two minor paint imperfections the Tesla rep believes will be buffed out. She also believes the bumper will just be replaced (funny story there, since my 2020 SR+ front bumper had a paint issue that needed to be replaced too). She expects the work to take about a week. We stressed that we need it to be done ASAP because we're at the point of needing the second vehicle.

We'll see how the plate transfer goes after I get the car assuming everything is fixed.

Overall, an underwhelming experience due to the issues with the vehicle. So, I'm waiting another week or so and we'll see how it looks after everything is addressed. I'll be looking for paint mismatches when I do the next delivery inspection and ensuring nothing else got added to the list.

View attachment 696840
Well we now officially have a appointment! It’s been a wild 2 months of ups and downs but I can finally stop refreshing the damn page haha. Big thank you to everyone here who provided support and information through this whole thing. I wish everyone good luck! One last post on pick up and then my work here is done. If anyone has any questions, feel free to reach out :)
Congrats! Did you receive a text or email in order to schedule your appointment?

I'm pretty excited to get the vehicle. We arrive about 12:15PM and find the car off to the side of the building. My wife and I start inspecting. The first thing I notice is that the car has temp tags. It shouldn't. It should be ready to go to put my tags on it. That's perplexing, which will need to be asked about. We continue inspecting. We see two small paint defects. The first on the rear left side passenger door. It's a lump and quite noticeable. The second is a very minor one on the rear right top of the trunk. We also see what looks like a cracked driver door window but can't tell without opening the door.

I'm not clicking "Accept Delivery" without talking to a Tesla rep and checking that thing on the inside of the door.

I go in to talk to Tesla. A friendly rep comes outside and unlocks the doors for us. The "cracked" window is just some glue on the window. Easy enough. The two minor paint defects she explains are "take it or leave it". I can refuse delivery they will repair them. If I take the vehicle and they get worse, Tesla will not cover them. I didn't debate the how or why because...

She points our the rear bumper has a chip about 5mm of no paint and a huge scuff, about 12 inches on the back. Looks like something hit the vehicle and scuffed it. Since the chip is down to the bumper color, the Tesla rep says I couldn't take delivery if I want to. The Tesla rep starts to use some yellow tape to mark all of the paint issues we've found including the bumper.

Inside was ok. There were some minor scuffs from people's shoes on the drivers side that wouldn't come out with slight rubbing, which I also identified as need to be fixed. I didn't notice anything with the seats or anything else.

Looks like Tesla is taking my car to the body shop for the work on the bumper. The two minor paint imperfections the Tesla rep believes will be buffed out. She also believes the bumper will just be replaced (funny story there, since my 2020 SR+ front bumper had a paint issue that needed to be replaced too). She expects the work to take about a week. We stressed that we need it to be done ASAP because we're at the point of needing the second vehicle.

We'll see how the plate transfer goes after I get the car assuming everything is fixed.

Overall, an underwhelming experience due to the issues with the vehicle. So, I'm waiting another week or so and we'll see how it looks after everything is addressed. I'll be looking for paint mismatches when I do the next delivery inspection and ensuring nothing else got added to the list.

This would be a nightmare scenario for me, as the nearest delivery center for me is 350 miles away, and I will likely be taking a 1-way plane trip to pick up. I've seen reports on other discussion pages where people have been able to document paint issues in the app after taking delivery (I've seen mentions of the first 72 hours, too) and then get them fixed shortly after. I'm really hoping for a clean pickup experience, but if not then hopefully they will let me document everything that way and still drive the car home.

Speaking of, my Jul 26 order EDD started off at 28 Aug - 17 Sep EDD, then shifted back by a day, and has now shifted forward by a day. Since I am now theoretically inside 2 weeks from the beginning of my delivery window, I am really hoping to start seeing that date range start shrinking this week.

Nah man Ill be picking up at Raintree in Scottsdale. I was following a dude from PHX get his in less than 4 weeks with a June 23rd order, Im a little salty I might not see my car til September. When did you order? Id love to know your EDD range too
Me too! I placed my order at Scottsdale mall towards end of June, still waiting for VIN, edd is 8/25 to 9/15

My EDD has been playing a very strange game. The first date is always exactly two weeks away. Each new day, it moves a day to the right. Meanwhile, the second date remains steady or occasionally moves a day to the left.

So, in a sense, my delivery window is shrinking but I'm no closer to it now than I was a week ago.

Aug 9 -- EDD: Aug 23 - Sep 11
Aug 10 -- EDD: Aug 24 - Sep 11
Aug 11 -- EDD: Aug 25 - Sep 11
Aug 12 -- EDD: Aug 26 - Sep 11
Aug 13 -- EDD: Aug 27 - Sep 09
Aug 14 -- EDD: Aug 28 - Sep 08
Aug 15 -- EDD: Aug 29 - Sep 08

Reactions: Pawther

Yikes! Was this the Tyco Rd location? That's where I'll eventually be picking mine up. At least they were willing to own up to the paint damage. Honestly, I'm more surprised they didn't notice that when prepping the car for delivery. Or maybe they did and were crossing their fingers that you wouldn't notice.

Hopefully they'll resolve all the issues!

Reactions: Arqos
My EDD has been playing a very strange game. The first date is always exactly two weeks away. Each new day, it moves a day to the right. Meanwhile, the second date remains steady or occasionally moves a day to the left.

So, in a sense, my delivery window is shrinking but I'm no closer to it now than I was a week ago.

Aug 9 -- EDD: Aug 23 - Sep 11
Aug 10 -- EDD: Aug 24 - Sep 11
Aug 11 -- EDD: Aug 25 - Sep 11
Aug 12 -- EDD: Aug 26 - Sep 11
Aug 13 -- EDD: Aug 27 - Sep 09
Aug 14 -- EDD: Aug 28 - Sep 08
Aug 15 -- EDD: Aug 29 - Sep 08
I have the same thing happening

Yikes! Was this the Tyco Rd location? That's where I'll eventually be picking mine up. At least they were willing to own up to the paint damage. Honestly, I'm more surprised they didn't notice that when prepping the car for delivery. Or maybe they did and were crossing their fingers that you wouldn't notice.

Hopefully they'll resolve all the issues!

Yes it was. They didn’t really have a choice since I didn’t accept delivery, nor could I when the paint was down to the bare bumper and they saw it.

There was a Model Y that had paint damage on the left rear door and looked way worse than mine. It wasn’t a good day for a few of us getting our vehicles unfortunately.