Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refreshed Model S - steering wheel yolk material peeling off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Part number on mine is a D. Am I getting old stuff?
Revision D is pretty old. I think my revision E was installed last November.

I believe revision F (not positive on this) has the ability to use the airbag as a horn. We have not seen that update yet though.

The revision I had installed a couple weeks ago was revision G.

I am sure the yoke was all about cost cutting. IMHO the yoke was to justify no stalks, which in turn cuts down manufacturing complexity and cost. However they went too far and went cheap on the material as well.

Tesla must be regretting their decision with all these warranty replacements!
It's a car of which they raised the prices $25k since launch. The parts cost less than $10.

It's hubris and bad decision making by the selfish, childish ignoramus at the helm.

I noticed a similar issue after getting mine back from a service visit. I suspect a tech rubbed against it too hard. I pointed it out and even though the spot was quite small they replaced the yoke (thank you Tucson service center!). The new yoke seemed to have a slightly different covering and feels more durable. The old one was more comfortable to hold as it seemed softer.

Mine is an early 431xxx VIN so maybe the May/June 2021 builds were a different covering.

Well, I'm a victim of Tesla's poor yoke materials quality as well. Left lower corner is peeling off and revealing the ugly white material below. It's simply not acceptable the quality of the interior materials on these vehicles vs. the price point. Total trash. Cutting corners in the cars to fund his other bullshit distraction ventures and expansion plans I'm sure. I only hope that all of the warranty service and parts replacements on these vehicles due to pre-mature wear eats away more and more at Tesla's bottom line. My S Plaid has been in the shop 8 times in 6 months. Never again Tesla.

Well, I'm a victim of Tesla's poor yoke materials quality as well. Left lower corner is peeling off and revealing the ugly white material below. It's simply not acceptable the quality of the interior materials on these vehicles vs. the price point. Total trash. Cutting corners in the cars to fund his other bullshit distraction ventures and expansion plans I'm sure. I only hope that all of the warranty service and parts replacements on these vehicles due to pre-mature wear eats away more and more at Tesla's bottom line. My S Plaid has been in the shop 8 times in 6 months. Never again Tesla.
Why haven't you lemon lawed it?

Having my yoke replaced tomorrow. Same'ole story as everyone else. (Maybe if the "HOLD THE YOKE" warning didn't pop up so often it would last longer). 🤣

I am scheduled for a rev G as well. Does the center portion / air bag etc stay with the car or is part of the yoke replacement. Curious about the horn possibility as well.
191F9959-398A-4939-9A29-1F03D7C5442E.jpeg