Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning Mr Miserable I’m sorry to ask this as I’m sure you must have been asked this loads of times, can you let me know from leaving the dock side at Shanghai to arriving in Southampton how many days the journey takes
Hi, I'm not @Mr Miserable, but I can tell you it takes pretty much a month from Shanghai to Southampton.

Greetings

My daily report will be delayed today.

GLOVIS SUN Now on the way after loading for 36 hrs (!) - that's a lot of cars. She's heading to Singapore first probably to refuel.
I estimate her arriving in Zeebrugge around 29 May.

New ship on the watchlist PRIME ACE also on way to Singapore. She only spent 12 hours loading.

LAKE FUXIAN is planning to depart tomorrow (Fri) evening.

GLOVIS CHORUS is still in Canada so will not make it to Pier 80 as originally planned.

RCC AFRICA - Anyone seen her? She is due to arrive off Suez tomorrow evening. I have not received a position report from her for a week.

Reactions: cpt_
RCC AFRICA - Anyone seen her? She is due to arrive off Suez tomorrow evening. I have not received a position report from her for a week.
According to Marine Traffic she is just going round the southern tip of Sri Lanka

Edit: Ignore me, thats where she was a week ago! She’s due at Suez tomorrow so you would have expected a more recent land observation around about now.

GLOVIS COSMOS is making steady progress in the Caribbean towards the Mona Passage and the Atlantic Ocean.
The Mona Passage is the gap between the Dominican Republic to the west and Puerto Rico to the east.
On the Atlantic side lies the Puerto Rico Trench which is about 8000m deep whereas in the passage it's only about 100m deep.
On the Caribbean side it's about 1000m deep. Additionally, there is a significant current that runs from south to north.
This 'shallowness' in the passage can be responsible for some pretty treacherous seas with some horrendously big waves.
It's not something that is too much of a concern for big ships but for smaller vessels the 'dreaded' Mona Passage has a fearsome reputation and navigating it is something that needs careful advanced planning and respect.
It is also the site of a significant British victory in 1782 when British and French warships engaged there.
The weather in the Atlantic is looking fine for the next 7 days but then it shows signs of breaking down, nothing dramatic though
Her ETA at Zeebrugge is 9 May.

Carib Cosmos.png

LAKE FUXIAN is still alongside Pier 80 loading and is planning to depart tomorrow (Fri) evening (local time).
On that basis I have revised my ETA for her arrival in Zeebrugge to around 22 May.

GLOVIS CHORUS was scheduled to be the next ship to arrive at Pier 80 on Saturday however there is little chance of that happening - she is still in Canada.

GLORIOUS LEADER This ship is carrying Model 3’s to the UK from China.
She is presently in the Mediterranean just off the north coast of Tunisia making around 16 kts. I have no weather concerns for her in the Mediterranean at the moment.
ETA Southampton 5 May

GL LDR Med.png

RCC AFRICA is carrying LHD Model 3's to Israel and EU from Shanghai .
The last satellite position report I received from her was last Thursday.
She is due to arrive off Suez tomorrow evening
She is due at Ashdod on 2 May. I expect her to arrive in Zeebrugge around 13 May at the earliest.

GLOVIS CORONA will arrive off Singapore tomorrow from Shanghai. She is on my watch list and if she departs to Suez she will stay on it. If she heads to Suez I suspect she will be heading to Southampton.

GLOVIS SUN departed Shanghai after spending 36 hrs loading. This is a long time to be alongside in Shanghai. GLOVIS SUN is a big ship , wider and taller than a standard RoRo. I would imagine she is carrying about 5500 cars. I estimate she will arrive in Zeebrugge around 29 May

GL SUN S China Sea.png

PRIME ACE is added to the watch list. She is also on her way to Singapore and will arrive there about 5 hrs after GLOVIS SUN.

Ok so I managed to do some digging and my SR+ with VIN 235*** will be available for collection on 2nd June from Birmingham SC. This is coming in on a ship due to dock very shortly beforehand apparently. This means it's not aboard Glorious Leader but instead has either just left Shanghai or is due to leave in the next couple of days - Mr Miserable, maybe this does indeed mean that Glovis Corona has UK bound cars on board?

Reactions: Mr Miserable
When judging the size of a RoRo, an industry standard unit of measure is the RT43. One unit equates to the amount of space occupied by a 1966 Toyota Corona.
So the GLOVIS SUN is assessed as having a capacity of 7384 RT43 units.
The trouble is the Model 3 is longer, wider and importantly much heavier than a 1966 Toyota which is why she will not be carrying 7384 Tesla's.
Check this link to see a photographic comparison #761
Thanks to @ABCTG for the photos
Other ships and their RT values:

GLOVIS COSMOS 6741
RCC AFRICA 6595
GLORIOUS LEADER 6400

• Informative
Reactions: ABCTG and Jez_GB
Ok so I managed to do some digging and my SR+ with VIN 235*** will be available for collection on 2nd June from Birmingham SC. This is coming in on a ship due to dock very shortly beforehand apparently. This means it's not aboard Glorious Leader but instead has either just left Shanghai or is due to leave in the next couple of days - Mr Miserable, maybe this does indeed mean that Glovis Corona has UK bound cars on board?
If the GLOVIS CORONA is heading our way, I expect her to arrive in Southampton around 24 May. Sounds promising....

I thought I would try something that would seem the most natural thing to do. We have all been speculating which ships are carrying Model 3’s to the Uk. I thought why don’t we just ask Tesla they would tell us !! This was the response I got from Tesla

Hi,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, we aren't officially authorised to disclose such information.

Kind regards,

Davide | UK Sales & Delivery
E. [email protected] T. 0162 845 0660
1619722330318.png

• Informative
Reactions: ABCTG
I thought I would try something that would seem the most natural thing to do. We have all been speculating which ships are carrying Model 3’s to the Uk. I thought why don’t we just ask Tesla they would tell us !! This was the response I got from Tesla

Hi,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, we aren't officially authorised to disclose such information.

Kind regards,

Davide | UK Sales & Delivery
E. [email protected] T. 0162 845 0660
View attachment 658079
Yep. Nice try! The only way to get such info is generally from a verbal conversation. There have been exceptions but nothing beats a friendly chat.

Reactions: atuk
I have an SR+ on order, I was just on the Tesla chat and they said it was on the GLOVIS SUN.

I guess the GLOVIS SUN is going to Southampton as well as Zeebrugge.
Could be. Back in the good old days when the cars all came from the US the ships used to call at Zeebrugge and then come to Southampton. I can't see why they couldn't do the same with ships from China.

Status
Not open for further replies.