Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess in Q4 all M3 and MY will be shipped from Shanghai only. And maybe this time Tesla makes it a little different and will use beside Tesla-Only Carriers maybe some more ships with space maybe for some Teslas as well.

Sales are rising here significantly .... so they maybe will need every spare space they can get.

Just check the schedules of Zeebrugge und Koper :)

Hope to get my M3 LR AWD in late november this year .... hopefully.

Moderator comment - nothing is getting deleted, they’re being moved to the appropriate thread.

This thread quickly gets derailed with stories of text messages, ‘when did you order’, ‘team midnight silver’, what battery will it have” etc.
Not to be pendantic but the first batch of messages haven’t been moved, they have been deleted (or aren’t visible on the “correct” thread) but the second batch are.

I would have thought that messages relating to deliveries dates is very “on topic” for a shipping thread to assist find any ships of interest, but what do I know. I’m relatively new here.

Why play this ship guessing game if no one is allowed to state any delivery dates/timescales to assist?

Reactions: Faz 2021
Can someone point me in the direction of where my post is then please?

If it’s not there, the software has malfunctioned

Using a bit of reasoning and a 30 day voyage from Shanghai to Southampton. If a ship left Shanghai today then it should arrive around the 13th/14th of November. Add say 5 days to unload and prep for collection, that means the 19th Nov, when folks start to get their cars, give or take a few days.
I've seen folks in the other thread stating delivery/collection earlier (the 3rd Nov was the earliest iirc), which means ships must be on their way, but are maybe carrying for several customers and slipping our "surveillance network" ;)
I hope there are a few more Wu Wa and Jason Yang YouTube videos from tomorrow, as last weeks didn't show a massive number of cars awaiting shipping at GF3 and no RHD that I could see (although I understand they have roofed storage space as welll as the holding lot). Those videos were from the first days back from a national holiday, so I'm hoping to see greater numbers this weekend :)
I also note that the Southern Pier in Shanghai doesn't appear to have been used yet by Tesla since Q4 started and has been empty for at least 4 days until this afternoon, when what looks like a local Chinese vessel moored up.

Reactions: _SunShine
Out of interest, while 30 days is about right for a direct route to Southampton, are there routes that could take much longer? I'm wondering if what we're seeing here is the last of the Q3 cars, loaded at a similar time to the last main chartered vessel, but loaded on to smaller boats on less direct routes to get them out of the way?

Just to be clear, all Tesla Model 3 and Model Y for Europe will be coming from Shanghai in Q4. Berlin may start production of Model Y before the end of the quarter but the vast majority of Model Y will still come from Shanghai. Nothing will be coming from Fremont.
Tesla do not own any ships or have any dedicated ships, they generally charter complete ships to ship to Zeebrugge (Europe) and Southampton (UK & Ireland) primarily. Last quarter we saw Koper in Slovenia being used. This cut days off the shipping time to Zeebrugge but meant that lots of road transporters from all over Europe were required to move the thousands of cars from the port to customers all over Europe in time for the quarter end. Cars unloaded in Zeebrugge can be crossloaded on to other ships heading to Spain or Norway or even UK, trains to Denmark & Sweden and road transporters. Zeebrugge is the No 1 car importation centre for Europe and so has well established transport links for the movement of new cars. Some ships in Q3 carried on to Oslo to satisfy the huge demand from Norway. We also saw early in Q3 that Tesla unusually used scheduled services (expensive in comparison)to ship some cars manufactured in Q2 to Europe. Reasons for this are unclear - some suggest that the cars could not be shipped on time in Q3 because of the chip shortage whilst others suggest the ship scheduled to deliver the cars was unexpectedly delayed in dry dock and there wasn't time to reschedule another ship so close to the quarter end.
Not every ship that departs Shanghai for Europe will be carrying Teslas - a fact that some folk find difficult to grasp. Nowadays there are lots of Chinese manufactured cars eg MG, Volvo, Polestars etc that are exported to Europe. Car carriers don't just carry cars - they carry buses, trains, tanks, helicopters, agricultural equipment in fact anything that can be rolled on and rolled off. A lot of stuff in that list comes from China.
Port congestion has worsened over the last 18 months. Initially it was just containerships that were affected but now car carriers are feeling the affects at certain ports too - this has a knock-on effect to their schedules. 2 years ago you could almost set your watch to a car carrier - their schedules were published about a year in advance and ship captains did everything in their power to keep to schedule. Nowadays, the schedules seem to be revised almost daily and rarely go beyond 2 months ahead. Likewise with port schedules - some ports no longer publish their forecasts. Port bookings are 'TBC' and ports are being run on a first come, first served basis. Big shipping companies are sabre rattling with threats of 'taking their business elsewhere' but 'elsewhere' is in the same predicament.
You just need to see the number of ships anchored off Shanghai to get an idea of the scale of the problem. Admittedly, it always has been a popular location for ships 'awaiting orders' but the anchorages are overflowing. I have noted a reduction in the number of car carriers anchored off Shanghai this month and wonder whether the delays (currently down to about a week or so now) have made other other ports more attractive. We certainly saw Tesla use other docks in Q3 to ship cars to Europe.

OK
Chief suspect for the flurry is TALIA
She departed Shanghai on 2 Oct and will arrive in Southampton Eastern Docks on 29 Oct. She will subsequently move from the Eastern Docks to the Western Docks (where Tesla have their operation).
TALIA is currently in the Arabian Sea making 18 kts towards the Suez Canal where she is due to arrive on the evening of 20 Oct.

For those in Europe she will arrive in Zeebrugge on 31 Oct but will move to the ICO pier (Tesla) on 1 Nov.
I will report on her progress daily from now on.

Interestingly, there are at least two versions of her itinerary around. One has her stopping in Southampton the other has her routing direct to Zeebrugge. I think this is our missing ship though.

Last edited:
TALIA has just come out of dry dock and has been repainted from her former orange and rust colour scheme.
Marinetraffic.com has some photos of her taken last Saturday as she refuelled off Singapore.

Screenshot 2021-10-14 at 22.37.57.png
TALIA.png
Chart showing TALIA's present location.

Status
Not open for further replies.