Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You should also be psyched that by all likelihood the M3 productions in your batch arriving on Lake Geneva will have the updated/upgraded 614km battery versus the production arriving in UK/Southampton on Talia/Lake Fuxian which are still the older battery (579km).
Also what makes you believe there are still the older battery

Mr M, why does MarineTraffic fail to update and indicate "Vessel is Out-of-Range" for periods up 1-2 days for several vessels?
The principle design purpose of AIS data is to reduce the risk of collisions by allowing nearby ships to identify other vessels and have a computer plot their progress and forecast how close other ships will get to you.

The majority of AIS data is collected from shore-based receivers hosted by amateurs and supplied free of charge to the ship tracking websites generally in return for free access to some of the website services. AIS data is transmitted by VHF signal from ships and as such is more or less line-of-sight. Once a ship is over the horizon in theory you shouldn't receive the signal. In reality the antenna of the ship transmitting the data will be high up on the ship and since these are big ships the range increase is significant. Likewise the shore-based receivers will not be at sea-level either and will be mounted as high as possible. Accordingly in reality ranges from a receiver of up to 80 NM can be routinely seen, however there will be a time when the ship goes out of range. This is where satellites come into their own. The satellites that receive the AIS signal receive the same VHF signal - the signal is not attenuated to the same extent vertically and so dedicated satellites in low earth orbit can recieve them. The cost of putting satellites into orbit has reduced significantly over the last decade and single-purpose nano-satellites are now deployed with the sole purpose of intercepting AIS signals. Whilst the cost of launching and maintaing a satellite has reduced it's still not cheap and so if you want global AIS coverage you have to pay for a satellite subscription which can easily cost over £100 per month.
So in summary, the ship-tracking websites allow you to see the AIS data collected from the shore-based receivers but if you want to see 'over the horizon' you need to pay.

Last edited:
You should also be psyched that by all likelihood the M3 productions in your batch arriving on Lake Geneva will have the updated/upgraded 614km battery versus the production arriving in UK/Southampton on Talia/Lake Fuxian which are still the older battery (579km).
it's an M3P, and from the papers, it's got the 82kw Pana (E3LD)
thanks a lot for the advice on the Lake Geneva. Now I'm lowering my expectations to get a delivery slot in the first half of my Nov 3-15 window.

This may have been covered earlier in the thread, but at 210 pages I (in all honesty) do not have the time to read every single page.

Based off of the predictions from page 208, I would come under the cluster of VINs released yesterday believed to be on Lake Fuxian, but doing a search on Lake Fuxian on MarineTraffic tells me that she is going to Suez Canal, Egypt. Am I missing something or is the journey split into "legs" e.g. Shanghai > Suez, Suz > Southampton ?

Thanks
K

This may have been covered earlier in the thread, but at 210 pages I (in all honesty) do not have the time to read every single page.

Based off of the predictions from page 208, I would come under the cluster of VINs released yesterday believed to be on Lake Fuxian, but doing a search on Lake Fuxian on MarineTraffic tells me that she is going to Suez Canal, Egypt. Am I missing something or is the journey split into "legs" e.g. Shanghai > Suez, Suz > Southampton ?

Thanks
K
The destination will appear once through Suez, hopefully Southampton

I received my RN on 30th September and Tesla CS confirmed yesterday that I have a VIN allocated and my car will be delivered 1st week of December, (M3LR Blue, Black interior and Aero Wheels, ordered through a leasing company).

With an early December delivery, May I ask which ship you believe my car is most likely to be on?

Couldn't both persons be right? It could very well be that your car is on a vessel while his car is still to be loaded?
Potentially, but I once tried calling CS 3 times in one day just to test. I got 3 different conflicting answers over my order. There is so much speculation.

First I was told by CS that they allocate as they come off the factory line, then was told they allocate as they load on the ships, then finally told that they allocate a good week after the ship leaves port.

I'm just happy I have a VIN at the end of the day. HAHA

Thanks
K
That was the case with Talia which is currently making its way to Southampton. It showed as going to the Suez Canal and then eventually updated to Southampton having cleared the Canal. I do believe that destinations vary between shipping sites though

Potentially, but I once tried calling CS 3 times in one day just to test. I got 3 different conflicting answers over my order. There is so much speculation.

First I was told by CS that they allocate as they come off the factory line, then was told they allocate as they load on the ships, then finally told that they allocate a good week after the ship leaves port.

I'm just happy I have a VIN at the end of the day. HAHA
Well at least you got answers, I asked 2 questions in the last week, but never got a reply. When in de orderering process they constantly stalk you, but when the order is finalized they'd rather spend there time on potential customers I guess.

Reactions: Simonix
My friend at Tesla has just confirmed my M3LR is aboard the Helios Ray 009-SOU :) White on white with 19" wheels, RN received 21st September. It was VIN matched last night :)
VIN matched last night but Helios Ray left Shanghai on the 22nd!? I guess I don't understand how all this VIN assignment works! If that was the case then your assignment happened just before Helios Ray docked in Singapore

Reactions: Mr Miserable
Status
Not open for further replies.