Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TALIA made good progress over the last 24 hrs and is now in the Atlantic heading north along the Portugese coast however her progress has been stilted somewhat in the last hour or so and she is only making 14kts. The weather off Lisbon is fine at present with pleasant temperatures, good visibility, low humidity, a gentle breeze and wave heights of only 6 - 7 feet, and so whatever the reason she has slowed is not weather related. There is no change to her Southampton details - it's still all happening on Saturday.

TALIA Med.png

LAKE FUXIAN is now in the Gulf of Aden and has switched off her AIS transmitter. I have marked her approximate position. I don't envisage she will reappear until she is halfway up the Red Sea, probably late on Friday. Switching off her AIS is an attempt for thwart an attack on her. In my opinion, it's pretty pointless if the attackers are fed intelligence from a national intelligence agency. The ship MERCER STREET had her AIS off when she suffered her fatal attack ealier this year. Once through Suez I expect her to head to Zeeebrugge arriving around 10 Nov although there are indications that she might head first to Southampton in which case we are looking at an arrival around 9 Nov.

Fux sin-suez.png

LAKE GENEVA continues to make good progress and is on time to arrive in Suez on schedule. She is heading to Koper Slovenia and will unload there on 6 Nov.

GEN SinSuz.png

There are two ships of interest refuelling, or bunkering as it is called, off Singapore at the moment. I was a little surprised to see that HELIOS RAY has not docked but we'll see where she departs too. The other ship is VIKING OCEAN.

UPDATE HELIOS RAY now confirmed as a Tesla ship! I estimate an arrival in Southampton around 16 Nov.

In Shanghai, I'm excited to see the arrival of a brand new ship NABUCCO arrive alongside. In the past Tesla have used new ships on their maiden voyages to Europe as a means of transport (GRANDE TEXAS and TANNHAUSER immediately spring to mind) and so I will be watching this big ship very carefully.

Last edited:
Hot news:

NAMBUCCO appears to have replaced BOHEME.
Accordingly NAMBUCCO will arrive in Southampton Western Docks on 26 Nov and Zeebrugge ICO pier on 28 Nov.
In my opinion, this ship has all the hallmarks of being a Tesla ship.

She should depart Shanghai tomorrow (28th) and route to Singapore for a refuel before continuing to arrive in Suez around 16 Nov.

Hot news:

NAMBUCCO appears to have replaced BOHEME.
Accordingly NAMBUCCO will arrive in Southampton Western Docks on 26 Nov and Zeebrugge ICO pier on 28 Nov.
In my opinion, this ship has all the hallmarks of being a Tesla ship.

She should depart Shanghai tomorrow (28th) and route to Singapore for a refuel before continuing to arrive in Suez around 16 Nov.
Fingers crossed my M3 is on this one! Will be keeping a close watch

Mr M on average how long does it take to load a 21 tonnes Helios Ray? It spent literally 24-hours in Shanghai from 5pm on 20 Oct departing at 5pm 21 Oct
The straight answer is we don't know.
Did HELIOS RAY arrive empty and so only had to load?
It all depends on the quantity of manpower thrown at the problem.
On the bigger ships unloading and loading can in theory take place at the same time although most prefer the unload to be completed before starting the load.
The problem with Shanghai is that the arrivals and departures of the ships is dependant on the tides and so the time in port is always a multiple of roughly 12 hours. I would suggest that 12 hours is not enough to load the ship even if there was no unloading to be done. GLOVIS CHAMPION is an example where her time alongside of just 13 hours meant that I (correctly) ruled her out from being a Tesla ship.
24 hrs is different. Both LAKE FUXIAN and LAKE GENEVA spent about 24 hrs alongside and are confirmed Tesla ships.
So since HELIOS RAY (which I believe was empty on arrival at Shanghai) spent 24hrs alongside it seems good enough to load around 3500 cars.
NAMBUCCO is a bigger ship and so I wouldn't be overly surprised if she spent 36 hours alongside.

Mr M what is the logic behind transporting 3000-4000 vehicles for every single vessel load from Shanghai Gigafactory all the way (1hour and 10min away) for loading at the existing loading pier and not investing/building a Tesla Pier in your own back yard in Hangzhou Bay, only 2 minutes away?

Tesla Giga Sh.jpg

Hi there - what an epic thread! Great work @Mr Miserable

I can see from some recent posts, that some people have been given their VIN and know what ship their Tesla is on, having received their RN in very late September.

I received my RN on the 4th Oct (M3LR+), so am wondering if it is possible that my car is already sailing, or whether it is likely that it is yet to be loaded onto the boat. This is my first Tesla, so I am a mixture of excited and confused by the whole process. :D

Thanks

Mr M what is the logic behind transporting 3000-4000 vehicles for every single vessel load from Shanghai Gigafactory all the way (1hour and 10min away) for loading at the existing loading pier and not investing/building a Tesla Pier in your own back yard in Hangzhou Bay, only 2 minutes away?

View attachment 726258

It's not just about the pier.
There has to be sufficient hardstanding to park the cars prior to loading. The hardstanding should be dust free - no nearby chimneys belching sooty smoke into the air that can settle onto the cars. There needs to be a customs facility with the necessary data connections. There needs to be the skilled manpower to load the ship safely. Tesla would prefer to use the same handling agent and stevedores as they use presently. The port should be recognised by the ship's insurers.

The pier at Hangzhou is currently used for domestic shipments only although during last quarter's port congestion crisis Tesla did manage somehow to use it to export. An awful lot of favours would have been called in to achieve that! It won't have come cheaply. The other ships using the pier appeared to be bulk grain carriers (dusty) - they would have had to stop whatever they were doing whilst cars were being loaded.

Cars are a very valuable cargo (do the maths) and so they are handled very differently to normal cargo and there are lots of rules, requirements and conventions in place to minimise the risk of damage in transit. Any old port simply won't do.

One of the ships on my watch list is THEMIS.
She spent a long time loading in Shanghai and made a brief stop in S Korea before heading for Zeebrugge.
She should arrive there around 15 Nov after stops at Piraus and Livorno.
She is not a Tesla ship, however I wouldn't be too surprised if she is carrying a deckload of Teslas since she is due to spend some time unloading in Zeebrugge at the same quay used for handling Teslas.
That said, I've not seen any VIN frenzy which can be associated with her.
I'll keep her on the watch list for the moment however ..........

Reactions: Andrei.xx

View attachment 726258
It's not just about the pier.
There has to be sufficient hardstanding to park the cars prior to loading. The hardstanding should be dust free - no nearby chimneys belching sooty smoke into the air that can settle onto the cars. There needs to be a customs facility with the necessary data connections. There needs to be the skilled manpower to load the ship safely. Tesla would prefer to use the same handling agent and stevedores as they use presently. The port should be recognised by the ship's insurers.

The pier at Hangzhou is currently used for domestic shipments only although during last quarter's port congestion crisis Tesla did manage somehow to use it to export. An awful lot of favours would have been called in to achieve that! It won't have come cheaply. The other ships using the pier appeared to be bulk grain carriers (dusty) - they would have had to stop whatever they were doing whilst cars were being loaded.

Cars are a very valuable cargo (do the maths) and so they are handled very differently to normal cargo and there are lots of rules, requirements and conventions in place to minimise the risk of damage in transit. Any old port simply won't do. There was a plan to develop this port for Tesla but it does not seem to have materialised.
The benefits of having your own pier in a time when existing facilities are plagued with delays due to congestion will be very clear to Tesla however how long will Tesla be exporting from Shanghai to Europe? Is the return on the huge investment required actually there?

Reactions: Washout
Hi there - what an epic thread! Great work @Mr Miserable

I can see from some recent posts, that some people have been given their VIN and know what ship their Tesla is on, having received their RN in very late September.

I received my RN on the 4th Oct (M3LR+), so am wondering if it is possible that my car is already sailing, or whether it is likely that it is yet to be loaded onto the boat. This is my first Tesla, so I am a mixture of excited and confused by the whole process. :D

Thanks
So the RN is just the Reservation Number. The next step is the VIN allocation. This can happen in 2 stages - 1. Unoffically. Look for a VIN in the source code of your account (lots of threads on this forum about this - please don't clutter the shipping thread) 2. Officially. Tesla notify you that your order has been matched to a VIN ( Orders & Deliveries thread). You can be pretty confident that you will have your car by Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.