Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I note that LYDDEN has departed Shanghai for Singapore however I am pretty confident that we can ignore her despite the fact that she is heading to Europe albeit as a slow boat from China.

In any case her stay in Shanghai was way too short for a Tesla ship.

Last edited:
I have a slight concern for March MY deliveries to the UK.
I suspect that the UK production was going to fill the space left by the EU MY production moving to Berlin.
If Berlin doesn't get it's production quickly up-to-speed I suspect EU production will continue to be supplied from Shanghai, which leaves the UK....
Having said that the logistics will be in place for UK production but we have seen on many occasions Tesla's amazing agility in being able to completely change plans at a drop of a hat.
We can only hope the issues preventing the Berlin GF ramping up are quickly resolved.
I'm sceptical that German bureaucracy will allow the production to start before the end of March, let's say it does, it would be interesting to speculate if UK model y would be made in Germany, while Shanghai produce for Southern Europe imported through Koper to shorten the journey, or Shanghai continue to produce for the UK.
I suspect you'll have plenty of ships to track in Q1 and Q2 if/while they ramp, and maybe in Q3 and Q4 depending on if/when German production starts

Hurray, ordered 29 Oct and got my VIN number for M3 LR MSM Aero 16 Nov with the message saying 'arrival date being calculated to schedule delivery'! ... would it be feasible to say it could be on any ship arriving... could someone (or link using vin) give a guess narrowing down an exact ship it could be on...🤔
I ordered on 15 Oct and I don't have a VIN yet but when I phoned CS they gave me a pick update of Dec 21 at Bluewater. I ordered a M3 LR White Aero. I'm kinda nervous I don't have a VIN in the source code yet.

OK It looks like the cat is out of the bag and the name is being plastered all over the interweb!
VIKING BRAVERY is the ship that will head to Koper.
She's due alongside Shanghai tomorrow night.
At the moment she's due to arrive in Koper on 9 Dec however I suspect that may move right a day or two.
Thanks to the German forum for the original tip!

You can't believe everything on the internet though - I note some sites are quoting PARADISE ACE as a Tesla ship when with just a teeny weeny bit of research it would show that it cannot possibly be.

Last edited:
I'm sceptical that German bureaucracy will allow the production to start before the end of March, let's say it does, it would be interesting to speculate if UK model y would be made in Germany, while Shanghai produce for Southern Europe imported through Koper to shorten the journey, or Shanghai continue to produce for the UK.
I suspect you'll have plenty of ships to track in Q1 and Q2 if/while they ramp, and maybe in Q3 and Q4 depending on if/when German production starts
The plan as outlined to me was that RHD production for both M3 and MY will continue to come from Shanghai for some time to come.

I was looking at their relative speeds - HELIOS RAY has been consistently a little (and sometimes a lot) faster than VIKING OCEAN since they entered the Med, but with only 3 days left I agree it doesn't look like they'll trade places. I don't know what tolerance shipping has in terms of missing their published/estimated ETAs or how accurate they are normally?
Southampton is a busy container port and ships are often held at anchorage off the Isle of Wight until slots become free so better to arrive early than late...

This is a really interesting thread. Am I right in assuming that Tesla only ship towards the end of each quarter? So if you don’t get assigned a vehicle as they come in now then you’ll be waiting until March for the 2022 Q1 shipments?

This is a really interesting thread. Am I right in assuming that Tesla only ship towards the end of each quarter? So if you don’t get assigned a vehicle as they come in now then you’ll be waiting until March for the 2022 Q1 shipments?
Tesla puts cars on boats in Shanghai headed to Europe in the first two months of each quarter, or at least that's what's been happening so far. It takes roughly one month for a RORO ship to reach European ports coming from Shanghai, so any ship carrying Tesla vehicles produced in one quarter and shipped in the third month of that quarter will only be delivered in the next quarter. For bookkeeping purposes, that's not ideal; Tesla prefers to have as many cars it produces in a quarter delivered in that same quarter. Which means that cars produced towards the end of a quarter are intended for the local market (whether it's China for cars made in Shanghai, or the US East Coast followed by the West Coast for cars made in Fremont).

Vehicles (the VINs, really) get assigned shortly after the vehicles meant for the European markets are loaded onto ships, so there's a long waiting interval between receiving a VIN and taking delivery of the car. In some cases, you might get lucky and get a car assigned to you closer to delivery, when someone who ordered the same config as you but before you did had a change of heart and cancelled/changed their order.

Status
Not open for further replies.