Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 - A/C Vents effectiveness?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to gauge feedback from owners of model3 whether they have found the a/c vents to be effective?

Saw an ongoing discussion in an FB group that the drivers side vents on 2022 Shanghai build models arent that effective as they blow air on to the knees than the upper section of the car.

Please post your feedback.

Trying to gauge feedback from owners of model3 whether they have found the a/c vents to be effective?

Saw an ongoing discussion in an FB group that the drivers side vents on 2022 Shanghai build models arent that effective as they blow air on to the knees than the upper section of the car.

Please post your feedback.
may not answer all your questions but I read this the other day on the power use of the aircon at different speeds etc

Reactions: Hairyman
I think Tesla may have "unimproved" what was a brilliant air cond up to now in our car through the latest software update. Our 2019 now blows low and slow, needs to be set colder, works better on manual, and direction control is now all over the place on drivers side even after a reboot. I would also like to be able to permanently disable auto seat heaters which are re-enabled every time aircond is set to auto again. (and don't get me started on the new "improved" UI)

It seemed to me when I had a loaner recently that the 2022 Model 3 was cooling more effectively than my (Fremont-built) 2019 when in auto' mode. Or put another way, I had to set a lower temperature on my 2019 in order to be as comfortable. Mind you, the software was the annoying new tap-tap-tap version in the loaner whereas my 2019 has v10 on it, so there may well be some difference there which is totally unrelated to hardware.

The 2022 vehicle was better in many other ways too. I was surprised at how much more refined it felt.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
I probably answered you on the FB thread, mine is poor and I have been back to the SC about it.
Ive posted on here about it before, but mine is unable to go any higher than through the steering wheel opening, not a breath above the steering wheel. I’m 5’ 10” and I have the seat as low as it will go. If you were any taller it’d only be a neck cooler only (in my car at least.) I find it frustrating, at high fan speeds I can just get enough on my face with the airflow all the way up.

I've a 2020 M3. One of my few gripes with the car is the quality of air conditioning, specifically how it blows through that vent design. All of my passengers are very quick to point this out too. Sigh. I've always though it was just something not well fitted behind the dash, but I'm now seeing it's a fairly common matter.

Reactions: edwardhank
Other people don’t seem to have the problem, but I also need to hunt with the temp a bit to stay comfortable. Can end up quite cool on the car with the temp even at 21 or so.

I was thinking about this the other day. The main issue seems to be that the car is adjusting the temp. based on the sensor in the car, but not taking into account the radiant energy coming through the glass. Thus, with sun blazing you might need to set it to 20C to address the radiant energy coming in at head level, but when it's cloudy for an extended period (>5 mins perhaps) then you need to move it to 22C. Perhaps a light intensity sensor on the roof would help the system manage better?

I had an incident a week ago where the A/C just wouldn't work well enough, despite switching to manual and adjusting everything to the max. It was like the fans couldn't ramp up. It was fine on the next drive.

I think Tesla may have "unimproved" what was a brilliant air cond up to now in our car through the latest software update. Our 2019 now blows low and slow, needs to be set colder, works better on manual, and direction control is now all over the place on drivers side even after a reboot. I would also like to be able to permanently disable auto seat heaters which are re-enabled every time aircond is set to auto again. (and don't get me started on the new "improved" UI)
Seems to have corrected the fan/temp issue by itself.

Reactions: Vostok
Now since I've owned the car for nearly 2 weeks, thought of leaving feedback on the a/c.

I found it as effective as any other car and have noticed that the whole cabin cools down pretty quickly. The software controls of changing the blue direction works well too. Also noticed that if the passenger seat is not occupied, the car automatically shuts the passenger side AC vents.

Yet to hit peak summer in NSW. Will have to wait and watch how it performs during that time.

Now since I've owned the car for nearly 2 weeks, thought of leaving feedback on the a/c.

I found it as effective as any other car and have noticed that the whole cabin cools down pretty quickly. The software controls of changing the blue direction works well too. Also noticed that if the passenger seat is not occupied, the car automatically shuts the passenger side AC vents.

Yet to hit peak summer in NSW. Will have to wait and watch how it performs during that time.
You might find the following helpful: air conditioning – Tesla Owners Club Western Australia