Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 matrix headlights pattern

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
frontal and side views
I've rented 2021 Tesla model 3s before and the headlights did NOT look like this

Attachments

• IMG_7689.jpg
    IMG_7689.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_7711.jpg
    IMG_7711.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 201
a mobile Tesla ranger came over to check a few things and re-aligned the headlights. They are a lot lower now and while they make seeing the road slightly harder, the auto high beams seem a lot better, they seem to be related somehow.

I still find a bit strange that my light pattern right in front of me is split in two (i.e. I can see half the lane only)

1663155114507.png

It is normal for UK LED or xenon headlights to have this 'step' between the left and right - i have seen this on my previous car with LED and the xenon based one before that. It's for lighting up road signs on your left.

However the step is the most prominent i have seen on any car, it also extends more into the road than i've seen before. I've manually adjusted my lights on past cars and at some point will tweak these.

Your light pattern looks just like mine on my 2022 M3P. I wouldn't let anyone else adjust them as usually all they will do is set them stupidly low and you can see sod all into the distance without high beam.

It is normal for UK LED or xenon headlights to have this 'step' between the left and right - i have seen this on my previous car with LED and the xenon based one before that. It's for lighting up road signs on your left.

However the step is the most prominent i have seen on any car, it also extends more into the road than i've seen before. I've manually adjusted my lights on past cars and at some point will tweak these.

Your light pattern looks just like mine on my 2022 M3P. I wouldn't let anyone else adjust them as usually all they will do is set them stupidly low and you can see sod all into the distance without high beam.

I think in my case the step is right in front of my lane which makes it a bit weird - should it not be between my lane and the faster lane on the right?
also in terms of high/low - I think I will probably put it a couple notches higher as you're right, had a bit of trouble seeing further than 20-30 meters

The pattern is correct. When driving on a straight road, the "higher" part is supposed to illuminate everything to the left of the lane you are driving in (pavement, pedestrians, etc). If you keep the correct distance to the car in front it will not blind them. The "lower" line of light illuminates everything else and should hit the ground 50m in front of your car.

So basically, your lights are correctly adjusted if you are parked on a straight road, the lower line hits the ground 50m ahead of you, and the higher line is right at the white line to the left at the same 50m mark. Both "high" lines need to be at the same height, therefore both "lower" lines are at the same height too.

Old Halogen lights had a similar pattern but it was an angled line rather than a block, same thing essentially.

Oh, a simple way (until you can get it properly adjusted) is to drive right up to a wall on level ground, mark and measure the height of the lower line coming out of the headlight, reverse 12.5m and adjust with the scrollwheels so that the lower line is now 1/4 lower than your mark. For example if your line when you are right up to the wall is at 60cm, it should be at 45cm after you reversed 12.5m. Level ground is important here.