Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't buy a model Y now...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the matrix headlight thread someone posted a tweet linking to official paperwork which points to Tesla getting approval to do just that.

I mean - everyone has things on their ‘must have’ list but if you’re looking at a Y you likely already know it doesn’t have active matrix and considering the other good points of the car, seems an odd thing to avoid it for. USS far more annoying and they aren’t coming back

But then I’ve never had active matrix on my cars in the past so maybe I don’t know what I’m missing.

Reactions: boombap and Avendit
From 2022.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) formally approved use of adaptive headlights Tuesday following a petition from Toyota, Reuters reported. That petition was filed in 2013, showing how long the regulatory battle over adaptive headlights has dragged on.

So I presume we will be seeing this in a future OTA Update. I'm psyched!

From 2022.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) formally approved use of adaptive headlights Tuesday following a petition from Toyota, Reuters reported. That petition was filed in 2013, showing how long the regulatory battle over adaptive headlights has dragged on.

So I presume we will be seeing this in a future OTA Update. I'm psyched!

There's debate elsewhere about the Telsa lights not being compliant with that standard

Do we really need yet another thread on this?

The existing car doesn’t advertise adaptive headlights as a feature. Don’t buy a car on the basis it has or will get adaptive lights in the future because of rumours of a future software update started a few years ago by some enthusiasts. Buy it because of what exists today.

The next thing will be don’t buy, Juniper will be round the corner (forgetting it will probably be more expensive in real terms) than todays Model Y.

It’s also not trivial, the light set ups between highland and ‘legacy’ is completely different. Calling it trivial is trivialising bringing this to existing cars.

Reactions: boombap
Well, Chinese configurator shows newer cars now - https://www.tesla.cn/modely/design#overview ones landing now are the old type, but Tesla rarely run two separate configs at the same factory (in fact, I don't think they ever have). it's not the same across factories - for instance the different rear seats and door cards in Model Y from late 2021 were phased in, and Berlin and Fremont make unique specs of Model Y (for instance 7 seater)

Well, Chinese configurator shows newer cars now - https://www.tesla.cn/modely/design#overview ones landing now are the old type, but Tesla rarely run two separate configs at the same factory (in fact, I don't think they ever have). it's not the same across factories - for instance the different rear seats and door cards in Model Y from late 2021 were phased in, and Berlin and Fremont make unique specs of Model Y (for instance 7 seater)
Adds to the dilemma really. I have an EDD of 05/02 to 13/03. As a cash buyer I don’t want it registered before March 1st, will it be the possible Shanghai update? Should I just wait until the refreshed MY is announced?

Australian cars have had parking sensors a lot longer then we did and I think they still do on the MY even though we lost them 18 months ago, both cars built alongside each other.

I don’t therefore think it’s safe to assume because China has something we will, and the make over in China is pretty light compared to what’s being talked about with Juniper. They’ve also been making the China cars and the European ones side by side at the end of last year with the differences. I think when we get changes it will be Juniper and be stalkless