Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X (Plaid) Energy Graph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You haven't taken enough long road trips. That data is critical to knowing if you need to decrease your speed to stretch the range out or speed up because that tail wind is improving your efficiency. The wh/mile average over the last 5/15/30, since charge, and since start of trip are tools that many of us used to manage our range.
This is true, I have not experienced a Tesla roadtrip yet. I do hope they bring it back, always good to have the choice.

Reactions: sorka
My road trip last summer from WA to CA and NV was over 3k miles. I didn’t look at energy graph at all. What I looked at is IP screen behind steering wheel and estimated remaining battery percentage to next destination.
If it drops, I will then adjust my driving.
I know more is better though and I am just curious the main reason why they removed it with refreshed S/X

Last edited:
Reactions: buckets0fun
My road trip last summer from WA to CA and NV was over 3k miles. I didn’t look at energy graph at all. What I looked at is IP screen behind steering wheel and estimated remaining battery percentage to next destination.
If it drops, I will then adjust my driving.
I know more is better though and I am just curious the main reason why they removed it with refreshed S/X

I strongly suspect that the S/X 3/Y had their own MCU codebases and that the refresh switched over to the 3/Y software with the landscape refresh. There is no IC on the 3/Y so I suspect they rushed a basic display for it and that hopefully it will mature over time.

Reactions: renshcp
You haven't taken enough long road trips. That data is critical to knowing if you need to decrease your speed to stretch the range out or speed up because that tail wind is improving your efficiency. The wh/mile average over the last 5/15/30, since charge, and since start of trip are tools that many of us used to manage our range.

Yep. If I'm trying to arrive at a very low SOC the energy graph is always up. I suppose the estimated arrival SOC on the nav works in a pinch, but I couldn't imagine road trips without the graph.

Reactions: JoeS and renshcp
Yep. If I'm trying to arrive at a very low SOC the energy graph is always up. I suppose the estimated arrival SOC on the nav works in a pinch, but I couldn't imagine road trips without the graph.

Same here. I was in the practice of managing each charge of a multi stop drive so that I'd charge as little as possible and arrive with a 5% target. This is the fastest way to reduce the total amount of charge time on long trips since the more depleted the battery is, the faster it charges.

The problem is that the occasional headwind would not be what I expected from windfinder and I'd end up needing to slow down to make it work. The predicted trip graph with the actual graph overlaid up that point in the trip was an invaluable tool for predicting early on how much modification would be needed. Now they've essentially removed the curve and they're just giving you the endpoint derivative.

Reactions: JoeS and JER85
Same here. I was in the practice of managing each charge of a multi stop drive so that I'd charge as little as possible and arrive with a 5% target. This is the fastest way to reduce the total amount of charge time on long trips since the more depleted the battery is, the faster it charges.

The problem is that the occasional headwind would not be what I expected from windfinder and I'd end up needing to slow down to make it work. The predicted trip graph with the actual graph overlaid up that point in the trip was an invaluable tool for predicting early on how much modification would be needed. Now they've essentially removed the curve and they're just giving you the endpoint derivative.
I always wondered how people determined whether they are encountering head winds or tail winds.... Does windfinder tell you which direction the wind is going in relative to your direction? or just wind speeds, etc?

Agree. I found the Energy Chart (Trip chart) to be very valuable in my MYP during long trips. It did save me once when my car was cold and the nav put a route in based on previous efficiency calculations. Since my car was cold (20s), I didn't get near the range the nav predicted. Not really the nav's fault, I should have preconditioned. However I realized (due to trip chart) 30 minutes into trip that I needed to reroute to a different supercharger. The nav did eventually start giving me a yellow warning about my ability to reach the original supercharger, but if I had stayed on original course I would have been stuck looking for a destination charger somewhere in Alabama.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
Sorry bud, you're 0 for 3 lol.... Tesla got rid of all those in the refreshed X/S.... I think they just want you to enjoy the drive and stop worrying about monitoring energy usage.... Hopefully enough people complain and they bring it back..... This 2022 model X is my first Tesla ever so I can't relate to the energy graph mystique..... Just show me my percentage remaining and where I have to stop and charge, I think that's all I need.
I think they will come back, I hope. Like I liked having music in instrument cluster.

I think the full energy chart was a must.

Reactions: croman
I strongly suspect that the S/X 3/Y had their own MCU codebases and that the refresh switched over to the 3/Y software with the landscape refresh. There is no IC on the 3/Y so I suspect they rushed a basic display for it and that hopefully it will mature over time.
Actually I think the code base switched to Refresh. A lot of the new V11 UI makes way more sense with Instrument cluster screen. I wonder if some day they will add an instrument cluster screen to 3/Y.

I always wondered how people determined whether they are encountering head winds or tail winds.... Does windfinder tell you which direction the wind is going in relative to your direction? or just wind speeds, etc?
Both of these sites are good for wind.
The first OSS go to the icon in the upper left and select Weather-Foercasr-Wind.
This site is great for road conditions including traffic webcams and the CMS highway signs-live

Reactions: JER85
Both of these sites are good for wind.
The first OSS go to the icon in the upper left and select Weather-Foercasr-Wind.
This site is great for road conditions including traffic webcams and the CMS highway signs-live

I never even notice the wind impact. I just chaulk it up to normal variation. I never cut things that close to matter. Ignorance is bliss I guess :)

thats pretty disappointing
Amendment: when you drive in the rain and hit the "wiper" button on the yoke, it does pull up a windshield wiper menu on the left side of the instrument cluster. You can use the left selector wheel on the yoke to pick the setting you want for the wipers. ...I missed this previously, because I'm never really looking at the cluster for anything useful. That's the only interactivity I've noticed so far!

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
If you're towing a trailer with a Model X, you really, really, really want the energy graph. This is my 3rd Tesla, and I'm shaking my head in disbelief that there is no more "trip computer". For crying out loud, ICE cars have had a trip computer for, what, 40 years now?

Reactions: JoeS
If you're towing a trailer with a Model X, you really, really, really want the energy graph. This is my 3rd Tesla, and I'm shaking my head in disbelief that there is no more "trip computer". For crying out loud, ICE cars have had a trip computer for, what, 40 years now?
There is trip computers. Just not real time one on the instrument cluster. I assume they are working on something.

Overall I’m really liking V11 and it keeps getting better.

There is trip computers. Just not real time one on the instrument cluster.
Of course there is a trip computer, that’s how it estimates driving range. But that is a million steps backwards from the capability of the 2014 Model S and the 2018 Model X I owned previously. Even my 2003 Volvo V70 or my grandfather’s 1980s Chrysler could do more than that.

• Informative
Reactions: gglockner