Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y Lost Control!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appreciate all the insight but how do I contact Tesla to check the history of events on her car? Is the only option to bring it in for service?
You'd have to start a Service Ticket from the app. They may need the car, but they can look at some stuff remotely.

I've had the same thing happen, but only in deep snow with many tire tracks confusing the cameras (no AP or anything on, just starts to turn on its own, flashes the corrective steering applied warning). Very disconcerting. I was able to over over the steering, about as easy as when in AP and you steer to take over. It puts up a bit of resistance, then gives up.

Not to say anything about your wife (and I would love to hear more about what actually happened), but almost every time my mother or sister drives my Model Y, they swear it tries to kill them.

I was so curious as to what they are talking about, so I hopped in the car and drove with them What they call trying to 'kill them' was actually the car keeping them in their lane as they swerve, and beeping when it thinks they are about to get into a collision because of the speed they are going when the car in front is slowing down. When the red indicator on the screen comes on and starts beeping, they freak out and insist it is again 'trying to kill them'. Now, if I had FSD on the Model Y, then I would have believed them!

Not saying that your wife is talking about the same thing, but second-hand information from someone that does not fully understand the function of many of the cars features can make a big deal out of nothing.

Not to say anything about your wife (and I would love to hear more about what actually happened), but almost every time my mother or sister drives my Model Y, they swear it tries to kill them.

I was so curious as to what they are talking about, so I hopped in the car and drove with them What they call trying to 'kill them' was actually the car keeping them in their lane as they swerve, and beeping when it thinks they are about to get into a collision because of the speed they are going when the car in front is slowing down. When the red indicator on the screen comes on and starts beeping, they freak out and insist it is again 'trying to kill them'. Now, if I had FSD on the Model Y, then I would have believed them!

Not saying that your wife is talking about the same thing, but second-hand information from someone that does not fully understand the function of many of the cars features can make a big deal out of nothing.

I thought of that same lane-keeping feature when I read the latest from the OP's wife.

My wife was driving her MY when all of a sudden the car applied the brakes and she had no steering control. The car drove towards the curb on it own. She said prior to that incident there was a warning sound that went off twice like she was about to hit something. However there was noting around.
She still has to drive home and I'm concerned.
Is this a known problem and if so, can it be fixed with possibly a reboot?
As an FYI she had a software update last night.
Based on the news today that the NHTSA is investigating Tesla MY and M3 for loss of steering, my wife feels justified. Its unclear if a Service visit can fix this but I think we need to make an appointment.

The problem is that is the opposite of what the OP reported.
She said the steering was "loose" and that made it impossible to steer.
Losing power steering or even the steering mechanism getting jammed makes sense. Loose steering does not. My guess is they did experience the problem that 12 others had in the linked article but it was incorrectly interpreted as being "loose".

If there were damages and if a recall is issued then Tesla should be liable.

The problem is that is the opposite of what the OP reported.

Losing power steering or even the steering mechanism getting jammed makes sense. Loose steering does not. My guess is they did experience the problem that 12 others had in the linked article but it was incorrectly interpreted as being "loose".

If there were damages and if a recall is issued then Tesla should be liable.
The "loose" comment was my misunderstanding from her original text. She clarified that she lost the power steering and the car veered towards the curb on its own. She couldn't control it

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam
The "loose" comment was my misunderstanding from her original text. She clarified that she lost the power steering and the car veered towards the curb on its own. She couldn't control it
Does this mean the car was actively changing direction with a changing steering arc? Or does it mean the wheel was already turned and the steering arc was constant? Was the steering wheel unable to be moved or was is loose with no response in tire direction? I hope the Service Center has car logs to look at.

Does this mean the car was actively changing direction with a changing steering arc? Or does it mean the wheel was already turned and the steering arc was constant? Was the steering wheel unable to be moved or was is loose with no response in tire direction? I hope the Service Center has car logs to look at.
She said there was no control over the steering wheel. While she was driving straight down the street (obviously) the car just started to veer towards the right curb. She had no control until at the last minute the functionality returned and she turned it away from the curb.

The problem happened more than 2 weeks ago but you have not scheduled a service? It's dangerous.
You wife should have stopped using the car right at the minute she lost control and called Tesla Road Service to tow the car.

Reactions: fsb1