Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y Lost Control!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is interesting and a little disconcerting.

After Service finished their analysis they said it was not the power steering module, but the fact that my wife and I are on the same Tesla app!
My wife and I both have Teslas (a Model S and a Model Y). Both of our cars are on the app on each of our phones. Per the Service rep, when my wife was driving her Y and experienced the loss of control, it was because I was viewing her car on the app on my phone?! He said that using the app was causing the Y to either go to sleep or wake up and that's why the car lost control.

While I find that a little difficult to believe, if it is true, then shouldn't Tesla be issuing some type of safety warning for those of us lucky (or stupid) enough to own two Teslas? You shouldn't use the app on the car you are not driving?

Not sure what our next step should be. Is there someway to contact Tesla HQ to see if this analysis is correct? Frustrated.

After Service finished their analysis they said it was not the power steering module, but the fact that my wife and I are on the same Tesla app!
My wife and I both have Teslas (a Model S and a Model Y). Both of our cars are on the app on each of our phones. Per the Service rep, when my wife was driving her Y and experienced the loss of control, it was because I was viewing her car on the app on my phone?! He said that using the app was causing the Y to either go to sleep or wake up and that's why the car lost control.

While I find that a little difficult to believe, if it is true, then shouldn't Tesla be issuing some type of safety warning for those of us lucky (or stupid) enough to own two Teslas? You shouldn't use the app on the car you are not driving?

Not sure what our next step should be. Is there someway to contact Tesla HQ to see if this analysis is correct? Frustrated.
That's the most cockamamie story I've heard. So ridiculous it could even be true. I wonder how they came to this conclusion. Did they say what steps they performed or logs they looked at or what analysis they did to conclude this?

You still have not defined "no steering control". Was it a locked up steering wheel that would not move?

You can do your own test, in your driveway.

Important: what was the fix they prescribed?

Imagine monitoring your child like this. As I think that, I don't believe the Service Center analysis at all! Maybe this thread is . . . very suspicious.

Last edited:
That's the most cockamamie story I've heard. So ridiculous it could even be true. I wonder how they came to this conclusion. Did they say what steps they performed or logs they looked at or what analysis they did to conclude this?

You still have not defined "no steering control". Was it a locked up steering wheel that would not move?

You can do your own test, in your driveway.

Important: what was the fix they prescribed?

Imagine monitoring your child like this. As I think that, I don't believe the Service Center analysis at all! Maybe this thread is . . . very suspicious.
She could not control the steering. It moved to the curb on its own.

They suggested we delete her entire app and re-download a new app on her own account. Sounds lazy and fishy

• Disagree
Reactions: jsight and GOVA

Absolutely no way in hell this is true. The whole bloody infotainment computer can crash and reboot while you are driving and it has no effect on any of the driving controls. No way accessing the car with the app would cause this. And if it is somehow true, this needs to be an immediate recall. Do you have this in writing? If so, try to escalate with Tesla then when you are board with hitting that brick wall, take it to a lawyer, take it to the news, and take it to NHTSA.

Reactions: zoomer0056
This is a ton of bull. From you, OP. Ton of crap.

User error and blame the car.

You don't post any logs. you don't post any communique from Tesla, just your bullshit.

I have 2 cars non-stop on 3 phones with 3 drivers. It has had a loaner there too. 3 teslas, 3 drivers, 3 phones.

LOL. Curb.

Total BS. My family messes with each other with the app all the time, turn the heat up and down, skip the music, turn the seat heaters on.

No way any of that had anything to do with making the car go to sleep while it's driving. Can't be done.

Either the SC is really just messing with you, or you are messing with us. Pics or it didn't happen.

This is a ton of bull. From you, OP. Ton of crap.

User error and blame the car.

You don't post any logs. you don't post any communique from Tesla, just your bullshit.

I have 2 cars non-stop on 3 phones with 3 drivers. It has had a loaner there too. 3 teslas, 3 drivers, 3 phones.

LOL. Curb.
I know I've seen others get abused by obnoxious ass*$#@! on these forums but it still amazes me, especially when it happens to me. As most normal/sane people do, I was just trying to get some outside input into our car's problem to see if it was a common issue. You really need to up your meds.

• Disagree
I know I've seen others get abused by obnoxious ass*$#@! on these forums but it still amazes me, especially when it happens to me. As most normal/sane people do, I was just trying to get some outside input into our car's problem to see if it was a common issue. You really need to up your meds.
Abused? Common issue? and you got nothing. Nothing.
Tesla App. LOL.

She could not control the steering. It moved to the curb on its own.

They suggested we delete her entire app and re-download a new app on her own account. Sounds lazy and fishy
...still an incomplete description.

Did the steering wheel freeze, and the resistance was too great for her to steer? That might be a mechanical issue (steering rack), which is a known issue for a few hundred cars (specific VINs)

"It moved to the curb on its own." Did it gradually drift to the right (which is normal if a car is properly aligned) or did the steering wheel actually TURN toward the curb?

It's no wonder the diagnosis is difficult, when the symptoms are so vague.

Reactions: towndrunk
...still an incomplete description.

Did the steering wheel freeze, and the resistance was too great for her to steer? That might be a mechanical issue (steering rack), which is a known issue for a few hundred cars (specific VINs)

"It moved to the curb on its own." Did it gradually drift to the right (which is normal if a car is properly aligned) or did the steering wheel actually TURN toward the curb?

It's no wonder the diagnosis is difficult, when the symptoms are so vague.
It did not drift, it turned towards the curb

Carlos Danger: The steering wheel actually TURNED, out of her hands, and steered the car to the curb? Did the car impact the curb with the wheels turned?

Seriously, w/o a detailed description, there's no way to actually diagnose a single anomalous event. Every single car I've ever owned, from 1971 to the present, at some point exhibited an unusual behavior that was baffling, and unresolved...and wasn't life-threatening.

Carlos Danger: The steering wheel actually TURNED, out of her hands, and steered the car to the curb? Did the car impact the curb with the wheels turned?

Seriously, w/o a detailed description, there's no way to actually diagnose a single anomalous event. Every single car I've ever owned, from 1971 to the present, at some point exhibited an unusual behavior that was baffling, and unresolved...and wasn't life-threatening.
That's exactly what happened (unless I'm making it up as some wackos would assert). She got control back before the curb.