Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, @jjrandorin, you moved some of my posts here to this thread here in the Model Y forum but my posts were about the Model 3 not the Model Y!

Thats likely because they were replies to people posting about model Ys and this issue. There is an existing thread here in the model Y subform for discussion of this issue for model Ys, but a similar thread in the model 3 subforum had people posting about model Ys in it, so I moved those posts here.

These cars are similar but we dont know if things for this will or will not be the same, which is why I moved the model Y posts to this thread.

• Disagree
Reactions: tm3dlr
Thats likely because they were replies to people posting about model Ys and this issue. There is an existing thread here in the model Y subform for discussion of this issue for model Ys, but a similar thread in the model 3 subforum had people posting about model Ys in it, so I moved those posts here.

These cars are similar but we dont know if things for this will or will not be the same, which is why I moved the model Y posts to this thread.

Nope. My posts were specifically about the Model 3 and don't apply to the Y.

Nope. My posts were specifically about the Model 3 and don't apply to the Y.

Then send me a PM with the post numbers they are in this thread, and I will take a look at them and if they arent replies to someone talking about model Y, I will move them back.

EDIT: Scratch that since I wont be able to move them back. Go ahead and copy them and re post them in the model 3 thread.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
So who’s going to order the part and try this out? :D I’d be willing to put up a couple bucks to cover the cost if some others want to get in on it. If it enabled USB music and allows controller support for the spaceship game, I’d pay to have the module.
I'm going to get one of these aftermarket USB module to try it out. Will let you guys know the result.

I think this might be the issue (hub quality). I got to thinking after making my post last night... I've been using this hub for the last 3 years, music, Dash Cam, and occasionally with a controller for gaming -- all on one port. Never had an issue. If anything today's MCU should be a better more powerful/efficient version than our previous 2018 Model 3. So for me, time will tell if Tesla is cutting corners in this area.
It appears to work fine on older model vehicles. The issue is in the newer neutered cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Spam2Yam
I feel cheated by this move by Tesla! It just doesn't make sense. Who needs 4 charging ports plus 2 wireless charger stations (plus the 12 volt port in the mid-section center console)? 7+ charging ports but only 1 data port? If they really wanted to delete the 2 center console data ports then DELETE them! They are useless now. This must have been a supply chain issue that morphed into a "feature" to save face. Did they think no one would notice? Like eliminating lumbar support in the passenger seat but worse.

I bought my Model Y LR with FSD because I had faith in the goodness and future of Tesla. This issue has put a dent in that faith.

The module actually has two versions, one for Intel chip and one of AMD chip. The one works with AMD chip is not available yet, probably after Chinese new year.
How do I tell what chip I have?