Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm using @jcanoe's solution of MobileMate reader with the Samsung 128GB Pro Endurance card in my November-build 2022 MYLR. However, I have partitioned the card into two drives: TeslaCam/Sentry Mode and Music. It's been working fine for me for the past 6 weeks.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting for my non-data USB-C center console ports to be installed. Mobile Service has slipped the date twice because the part hasn't arrived. Currently sitting at 1 Feb. If I'm not mistaken, Fremont seems to have plenty of these to go in cars they're building right now. Why couldn't they divert a few to waiting customers? Oh, that's right...they already have my money :rolleyes:

"Service after the sale is important for customer satisfaction/retention!" said no one at Tesla, ever.
I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I tried the partitioned Samsung drive (into TeslaCam and music). It seems to mount and work fine. I can view previous sentry and dash recordings and place usb music. However when I return to the car, the TeslaCam is unmounted. There will sometimes be a message that a sentry event has occurred but it’s not viewable since it’s unmounted. Once I remount the drive there is no new recording.

Very frustrating. Maybe it’s the rocket as opposed to the mobile mate but I doubt it.

A possible explanation for crashes or not recording Sentry data is that a USB device needs to be formatted using EXT4 (both partitions), a widely used and reliable standard in the Linux community. Music (audio) is not being streamed while your car is parked with Sentry Mode on.

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I tried the partitioned Samsung drive (into TeslaCam and music). It seems to mount and work fine. I can view previous sentry and dash recordings and place usb music. However when I return to the car, the TeslaCam is unmounted. There will sometimes be a message that a sentry event has occurred but it’s not viewable since it’s unmounted. Once I remount the drive there is no new recording.

Very frustrating. Maybe it’s the rocket as opposed to the mobile mate but I doubt it.
I just pulled mine to check it and I have drive called "tesla" as the first partition and "music" as the 2nd one. Both are exFAT format.

What I did was put the new card in the car and let the car format it. That created the "tesla" partition with the requisite folder names. Then I pulled the drive and mounted it in Windows, resized the tesla partition and created a second partition called "music" Other than the fact that it doesn't remember where to resume playing music most of the time, it's been working. I've had no issues at all with TeslaCam or Sentry Mode. I'm sure I've just jinxed myself now.

Ok, I bought a set of pry tool from Amazon and opened panel. I can confirm the usb data wire and connector is there and wrapped with tape, picture attached.

Attachments

• CF3AA243-E3F1-4859-9F29-7A30107B822F.jpeg
    CF3AA243-E3F1-4859-9F29-7A30107B822F.jpeg
    581.6 KB · Views: 1,415
Wow! Thank you for your efforts! So what are we missing and how can we fix this? I wonder if Tesla would push the games we’re missing if we retrofit this issue ourselves.
Ok, I bought a set of pry tool from Amazon and opened panel. I can confirm the usb data wire and connector is there and wrapped with tape, picture attached.
Wow! This is great news.

Thanks for opening up the console.

There is a module available on Ali express to replace this.

Now the question is if that cable is disabled by software or ready to work.

Still doesn’t download sonic or cuphead.

Great news I have service appointment on Tuesday I wonder if they can fix for me
Tesla won’t fix something that they consider normal. Plus if the installation of the new module somehow shorts out the electrical system it wont be covered. Having said that, I’ll probably do it myself if I can confirm the car’s software hasn’t been altered to prevent the cable from working.

Tesla won’t fix something that they consider normal. Plus if the installation of the new module somehow shorts out the electrical system it wont be covered. Having said that, I’ll probably do it myself if I can confirm the car’s software hasn’t been altered to prevent the cable from working.
I hope I am wrong, but I highly doubt it is just a plug and play fix. The fact that software is altered (ie - Sonic not installed) when the USB-C ports are power only tells me that there is more going on that a $8 hub.

Reactions: RipVanFinkle
I think at this point we’re curious about a $200 module, not an $8 hub. Would love to know if the v11 software can be re-installed/pushed to the car after installing the data module and if would install the missing apps.
My point was not the $8 per se...it was the fact that software is altered (ie - Sonic not installed) when the USB-C ports are power only. Whether it is an $8 hub or a $200 module...on a $52,000 car (what I spent, some spend more)...is not overly important. Oh...and it was not announced by Tesla. Garbage move.

Side note: I couldn't care less about the Sonic game.

Reactions: RipVanFinkle
My point was not the $8 per se...it was the fact that software is altered (ie - Sonic not installed) when the USB-C ports are power only. Whether it is an $8 hub or a $200 module...on a $52,000 car (what I spent, some spend more)...is not overly important. Oh...and it was not announced by Tesla. Garbage move.

Side note: I couldn't care less about the Sonic game.
Completely agree with you jdag.

FWIW, the more important functionality for me would be usb music, since the 2022 post 11/1/2021 doesn’t play nice with a partitioned usb drive in the usb a in the glovebox. For me, the TeslaCam drive unmounts after the car is parked every time in this scenario.

On the Aliexpress link there is a video showing the installed $160 module with restored game controller functionality, which presumably would also allow usb music access via the restored ports.

Although gaming may not be for you, there may be times it could be helpful for youngsters on a long car trip. Plus, having data port functionality may prove useful for future applications or third party devices.

Garbage move is a good way to describe this. Why not offer a future restoration of the functionality if there was/is a supply side constraint? After all all previous vehicles plus current MS and MX continue to offer this capability? This is too trivial to be related to cost of the component.

So who’s going to order the part and try this out? :D I’d be willing to put up a couple bucks to cover the cost if some others want to get in on it. If it enabled USB music and allows controller support for the spaceship game, I’d pay to have the module.
I have been corresponding with a very reputable Tesla third party vendor who is procuring modules and will test to make sure functionality is restored.

Will let this thread know the results.

I have been corresponding with a very reputable Tesla third party vendor who is procuring modules and will test to make sure functionality is restored.

Will let this thread know the results.
That'd be great! hopefully the game situation would be resolved for ones that want Sonic and the other game. Not sure how you can load the game via 3rd party though.

I feel cheated by this move by Tesla! It just doesn't make sense. Who needs 4 charging ports plus 2 wireless charger stations (plus the 12 volt port in the mid-section center console)? 7+ charging ports but only 1 data port? If they really wanted to delete the 2 center console data ports then DELETE them! They are useless now. This must have been a supply chain issue that morphed into a "feature" to save face. Did they think no one would notice? Like eliminating lumbar support in the passenger seat but worse.

I bought my Model Y LR with FSD because I had faith in the goodness and future of Tesla. This issue has put a dent in that faith.

Reactions: K1Woods
I feel cheated by this move by Tesla! It just doesn't make sense. Who needs 4 charging ports plus 2 wireless charger stations (plus the 12 volt port in the mid-section center console)? 7+ charging ports but only 1 data port? If they really wanted to delete the 2 center console data ports then DELETE them! They are useless now. This must have been a supply chain issue that morphed into a "feature" to save face. Did they think no one would notice? Like eliminating lumbar support in the passenger seat but worse.

I bought my Model Y LR with FSD because I had faith in the goodness and future of Tesla. This issue has put a dent in that faith.
Agree in caps. However unless we continue to raise a fuss about this underhanded and deceitful change, nothing will change.

Reactions: Ruby's Driver