Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes but Tesla says a hub is a No-No! Plus, I have to open the glove box (which is PIN protected), move all of the "crap" out of the way to access the hub to change the USB drive which is often not recognized without a lot of finagling. I would pay Tesla $100 to restore the data in the center console but the problem is that if they offered that they would catch all kind of crap from those that complain that it should have been there in the first place. Therefore it's either Tesla pays to change it or nothing. What would you pick if you were a Tesla manager?
I'd think about all the upcoming competition in the market and realize that the dollars and cents for this correction go a long way to keep customers happy with the brand. Love the car over here, but I know that I will be market shopping other brands next time around. May buy another tesla, may not, but silly things like this stick out as little reminders of why it might be better to try out someone else next time.

Yes but Tesla says a hub is a No-No! Plus, I have to open the glove box (which is PIN protected), move all of the "crap" out of the way to access the hub to change the USB drive which is often not recognized without a lot of finagling. I would pay Tesla $100 to restore the data in the center console but the problem is that if they offered that they would catch all kind of crap from those that complain that it should have been there in the first place. Therefore it's either Tesla pays to change it or nothing. What would you pick if you were a Tesla manager?
Let me reiterate, what I’m using operates flawlessly. It’s the same device I’ve been using since my 2018 Model 3 for two years (sold and broke even), then used in my 2020 Model Y that I had for a year and sold (for a $2800 profit) just last November, and i’m now using on my spanking new Model Y I just picked up on Jan 7th. I’m not doubting what you’ve heard, but I’m saying this device works… no need to get back into the glove box at all, once installed.

I imagine there’s lots of crap hubs out there causing issues, but I know thousands of people using them successfully over the years. I can’t imagine Tesla dumbing down their port’s abilities (doesn’t make sense), from last year’s model (which was in production just a few months ago before they switched), to the models you and I just purchased and are driving now.

Hers how I’m currently using it, see photo.

Attachments

• 5607801A-18C6-4385-9087-BD393AE440AC.jpeg
    5607801A-18C6-4385-9087-BD393AE440AC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 276
Reactions: rbcopod
Let me reiterate, what I’m using operates flawlessly. It’s the same device I’ve been using since my 2018 Model 3 for two years (sold and broke even), then used in my 2020 Model Y that I had for a year and sold (for a $2800 profit) just last November, and i’m now using on my spanking new Model Y I just picked up on Jan 7th. I’m not doubting what you’ve heard, but I’m saying this device works… no need to get back into the glove box at all, once installed.

I imagine there’s lots of crap hubs out there causing issues, but I know thousands of people using them successfully over the years. I can’t imagine Tesla dumbing down their port’s abilities (doesn’t make sense), from last year’s model (which was in production just a few months ago before they switched), to the models you and I just purchased and are driving now.

Bought and installed. So far working without crashing and no more unmounting issues.

In case you’ve missed it, this is the hub I’m using without issue (so far)… on my Jan 7 2022 Model Y (Intel Atom processor, not AMD).
It’s what I’ve been using on my past 2018 Model 3 and 2020 Model Y cars.

Bought via your link. Installed and working. Thanks! So far running wireless controller, usb music and TeslaCam. No longer unmounting after parking.

Next challenge is getting Sonic and Cuphead and the center port console data working.

Bought via your link. Installed and working. Thanks! So far running wireless controller, usb music and TeslaCam. No longer unmounting after parking.

Next challenge is getting Sonic and Cuphead and the center port console data working.

Disregard. I see it now… you are still using the glovebox usb-a

Try a splitter on the USB port inside the glovebox, that's what I did and am using two USB drives for music and audiobooks plus the one for cameras recording and all three have been working great so far. Maybe on a later update Tesla will return the USBs inside the console to their former functionality (crossing my fingers!)

Yep, a lot of people buy crappy hubs and then when it doesn't work, blame it on the car. That's probably why officially Tesla does not support hubs, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work with hubs, just that you need to find a decent one that works. And this is what forums are for (so people can share what works and what doesn't).

Reactions: SCW-Greg
Are new Y's continuing to ship without data ports? Or was this isolated to an earlier production window?

Interesting to read about this, thank you everyone for sharing your experience.
I almost canceled my order due to this - not the only reason, but feeling like this was the final insult. I texted Tesla at the same number that my reservation confirmation text came from.

I requested to place my order on hold until the data ports in console came back. They responded that there are no plans for data ports to return.. and that i am unable to place my order on hold since i placed the order in September.

I gave myself 24 hours to consider my feelings and what to do. The next morning, i responded that i will keep my reservation. I asked them to inform management that current and future owners are extremely unhappy, as this is a major feature loss.

This is why Big Tech is so powerful. They can do whatever they want for the most part, and most people will live with it and continue as customers, because there are no better solutions.

Oh...and it was not announced by Tesla. Garbage move.
That's their M.O. they never announce removal of stuff (except for radar). You just "find out".

I've only had my car ~8mo. and so far they've removed passenger lumbar, for a short time USB ports in center console, and then the re-additon of USB ports albeit power- only.

Never announced any of it.

That's their M.O. they never announce removal of stuff (except for radar). You just "find out".

I've only had my car ~8mo. and so far they've removed passenger lumbar, for a short time USB ports in center console, and then the re-additon of USB ports albeit power- only.

Never announced any of it.
They also do the same for upgrades though, like the console refresh, HEPA filters, Ryzen, etc. It's just how Tesla operates. They only announce it when it affects some regulatory issue that they speced with (like radar which changes the safety ratings, and Ryzen in some countries when it coincided with a range change). For stuff they didn't explicitly mention in their order pages, they don't announce.

They also do the same for upgrades though, like the console refresh, HEPA filters, Ryzen, etc. It's just how Tesla operates. They only announce it when it affects some regulatory issue that they speced with (like radar which changes the safety ratings, and Ryzen in some countries when it coincided with a range change). For stuff they didn't explicitly mention in their order pages, they don't announce.
Agreed.

Please send the link when you get a second
I think this thread might have already been posted here but they seem to have quite a bit of info...

There is also this thread on a German Tesla site.

I almost canceled my order due to this - not the only reason, but feeling like this was the final insult. I texted Tesla at the same number that my reservation confirmation text came from.

I requested to place my order on hold until the data ports in console came back. They responded that there are no plans for data ports to return.. and that i am unable to place my order on hold since i placed the order in September.

I gave myself 24 hours to consider my feelings and what to do. The next morning, i responded that i will keep my reservation. I asked them to inform management that current and future owners are extremely unhappy, as this is a major feature loss.

This is why Big Tech is so powerful. They can do whatever they want for the most part, and most people will live with it and continue as customers, because there are no better solutions.
I just ordered a 2022 MYLR. A little nervous. The charging pad will not charge my iPhone 12 Pro max phone with a case on it (barely with the case off), and now the data port missing from the center console. What next...

Yes, I ignored the Owner's manual statement that said to NOT use a Hub and I can have a couple USB drives active at the same time. HOWEVER, that was not my point! By installing a HUB in the ONLY USB data port in the glovebox, we are violating the Manufacturers recommendations. IF Driver Assist, TACC or other functions fail causing an accident it is OUR fault for not following MFG instructions and not a MFG defect. Tesla took away ALL of the other data ports and said we can't use the one remaining yet they still claim their infotainment system provides data support. THIS IS NOT RIGHT and we should insist that it be corrected or Tesla should acknowledge that the only data connection is via Bluetooth with your phone unless you disable Dash Cam and Sentry capabilities. All I want is ONE more MFG sanctioned Data Port!

Reactions: hatch
I just ordered a 2022 MYLR. A little nervous. The charging pad will not charge my iPhone 12 Pro max phone with a case on it (barely with the case off), and now the data port missing from the center console. What next...
I picked up my MYLR on Friday and it charges my iPhone 12 Pro Max with an Apple leather case on it. I test drove a lot of different M3 and MY vehicles in the months long wait and had varying success with the wireless chargers and my phone. Towards the end of the wait, they were getting more and more reliable though. I think if you put an Apple case on your phone and it doesn't charge, you may have grounds for a service appointment. It was one of the things I specifically tested before accepting delivery, just to have some extra leverage in the event it didn't work.