Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That looks pretty reasonable to me! For $49, hard to beat a controller + wireless USB interface. I’d just make sure I could return it if it doesn’t work well (ie from Amazon or something?)

I don’t know if you have any existing wireless controllers, but we happened to have an extra Xbox one controller. I bought this wireless dongle and it works great with the Tesla games. Might be a cheaper option if you have a remote already you can use?

Thanks!

looks like new 2022 Y (and I'm assuming 3 from other posts) have the usb c ports in the center console as power only -- no data. Therefore they are not available for gaming or music. A usb hub in the glovebox is the remedy, although awkward for gaming. I have a mobile service appt tomorrow to hopefully address. If it a supply chain issue and can be restored then a hassle but not terrible. If this is the new normal it is not OK.
My 2022 Model Y Performance has usb-c ports in front console that work with my xbox controller to play games. I picked up Nov 20

I have a post pending admin review because I'm new from day.
Basically they could have 2 parts now because of chip shortage and it would not be car related but part related.
So delaying the retrofit could help, and in a future u could still have it upgraded to data (prob not free).
Also found someone who could buy the "data usb-c part" to retrofit his USB ports.

All this being hypothetical, but looking "not as bad".

1641074075152.png

I have a post pending admin review because I'm new from day.
Basically they could have 2 parts now because of chip shortage and it would not be car related but part related.
So delaying the retrofit could help, and in a future u could still have it upgraded to data (prob not free).
Also found someone who could buy the "data usb-c part" to retrofit his USB ports.

All this being hypothetical, but looking "not as bad".

View attachment 750865
That’s encouraging. Thanks.

My Xbox Series X controller doesn't work when plugged in the port in the glove box. I've used the provided USBC to USB-A cable, even the wireless dongle, the controller is never recognized. As a matter of fact I don't even have Sonic or Cup Head. Should I ask Tesla or am I condemned playing touch screen games?

My Xbox Series X controller doesn't work when plugged in the port in the glove box. I've used the provided USBC to USB-A cable, even the wireless dongle, the controller is never recognized. As a matter of fact I don't even have Sonic or Cup Head. Should I ask Tesla or am I condemned playing touch screen games?
Afaik having a working controller won't auto install sonic and co.
Prob need a future fix for that.

Is there a reason Game controller has to be wired ! My PS3 has wireless, why not in Tesla. Problem solved Maybe.
i am not a gamer,so haven’t really followed this very closely.
Currently you can’t connect a wireless controller directly to the Tesla via Bluetooth. You can add a Bluetooth dongle by Mayflash and then the car “thinks” that a wired controller is connected. I got my PS 5 co troller to work without issue by using the Mayflash NS version.

i picked up my 2022 Model Y at the end of November. The car didn’t have the front console USB-C ports or wireless phone charger. I had Mobile Service come out for the retrofit 5 weeks later. How do I test whether or not they’re data capable? Something quick and easy.

Check to see if you have the Sonic & Cuphead games with the Holiday release, I think that's probably the easiest way. It seems that cars without data didnt get the all-controller games. Otherwise a usb-c stick/drive with mp3 music, a custom light show, dashcam files, etc. You will need a adapter for the factory dashcam usb stick to plug into the usb-c ports.

Hmm - how new is the car? It’s very common for new vehicles to lag behind by a month or two on firmware. Sorry to say - but be patient; I’m sure it’ll catch up. That’s kinda normal to be frank.
I had a service appointment today to adjust a small panel gap on my right rear door. They did a great job and were efficient and courteous.

While I was in I asked him to take a look at my USB C ports in the center console and the the missing sonic game.

Officially, I was told the following:

1. USB c ports are not being installed with data from this point moving forward. This could change. Right now there is no retrofit offered. We know it doesn’t make sense.

2. In those vehicles that do not have data ports in the center console, games such as sonic (that require a game controller) will not be installed. We know the usb A port in the glove compartment would work but we don’t set the policy.

3. There is a potential Bluetooth update in the future that will allow the playing of games using a Bluetooth game controller at which point game functionality (such as sonic) will be returned. There is no timeline on when this may occur.

So there you have it.

If you want to use the glove box USB-A data port for Dashcam/Sentry mode and also for music or a game controller you can add a USB hub (See post #8).
In Germany we have been told NOT to use a hub for the USB-A Port because it might overload or something like that, apparently it even says so in the manual, so that solution is not a valid workaround in my opinion.
Another workaround is to format and partition the USB-Drive so you can store your dashcam stuff and simultaneously access your music library but still...

Reactions: rbcopod
In Germany we have been told NOT to use a hub for the USB-A Port because it might overload or something like that, apparently it even says so in the manual, so that solution is not a valid workaround in my opinion.
Another workaround is to format and partition the USB-Drive so you can store your dashcam stuff and simultaneously access your music library but still...
What the US manual states is not to use a powered USB device such as a powered hub in the front console of the Tesla Model Y. This may interfere with the tire pressure monitoring system. I have been using a basic non-powered USB hub for months with no issue.

Reactions: rbcopod
What the US manual states is not to use a powered USB device such as a powered hub in the front console of the Tesla Model Y. This may interfere with the tire pressure monitoring system. I have been using a basic non-powered USB hub for months with no issue.
Thank you for the clarification. The German forum is really going nuts about this issue. I am still waiting for my M3P in February and although I probably wouldnt need three data ports it's still a function that got canceled secretly which is not ok. You pay full price and some people who even ordered after you may have gotten everything they paid for but you didn't. It would have been fine if Tesla said, let's just wait for 1-2 months or if it's clear that they wont get any usb-c data ports any time soon, that they would just notify the people and maybe reimburse them some other way.
But changing the manual afterwards and calling it a day is just a bad bad move.
We have some people who may even get a lawyer and take it to court because in Germany this kind of behaviour is usually not possible so we will see in 1-2 months how this is gonna pan out

Thank you for the clarification. The German forum is really going nuts about this issue. I am still waiting for my M3P in February and although I probably wouldnt need three data ports it's still a function that got canceled secretly which is not ok. You pay full price and some people who even ordered after you may have gotten everything they paid for but you didn't. It would have been fine if Tesla said, let's just wait for 1-2 months or if it's clear that they wont get any usb-c data ports any time soon, that they would just notify the people and maybe reimburse them some other way.
But changing the manual afterwards and calling it a day is just a bad bad move.
We have some people who may even get a lawyer and take it to court because in Germany this kind of behaviour is usually not possible so we will see in 1-2 months how this is gonna pan out
Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, page 167:

NOTE: Installing accessories that are not approved by Tesla can interfere with the TPMS. CAUTION: Avoid placing powered USB devices near the card reader on the center console (see Key Card on page 7) as powered USB devices may interfere with the tire pressure monitoring system.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Reactions: LordOfLight