Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just because you put a little addendum in the online manual doesn’t get you off the hook in my opinion. We ordered the vehicles with this feature. The supporting documentation that we were sent while awaiting our cars documented the feature. It then just vanishes.

Welcome to the world of Tesla. This has unfortunately been normal from the very beginning of the Model 3. For example, when the car was first introduced all the marketing and advertising photos showed it with a really nice Alcantara headliner and trim and all the articles written about the car talked about the premium materials used. The first Model 3s built all went to Tesla and SpaceX employees and they all got the Alcantara. But only the first few hundred regular buyers got it because Tesla switched to the cheap cloth you see today without any kind of notification. The same goes for the suspension. The first cars produced which all the rave reviews were based on (including my own review) had a much better suspension that was just about as good as you would find on a BMW M. But while Tesla employees got it only a few of the regular customers did before they switched to a much cheaper suspension. The suspension in current Model 3s isn't terrible but it isn't nearly as good as what was on those first cars. I was one of the many early supporters who waited in line for hours 2 years earlier to give Tesla our money before we even knew what the car would look like. Then all the reviews came out and we were out of our minds with excitement of the awesome car we were getting. But despite the fact that my car was one of the first 10k built I wasn't early enough to get the better quality Alcantara interior material or the much better suspension. That said, the car is still the best car I've ever owned and I've owned a lot. And I am buying another but those early seemingly shady moves by the company did hurt a little.

And then there's the Premium Upgrade Package we early adopters paid an extra $5,000 for. We were told that the much cheaper shorter range version of the car coming later wouldn't have the glass roof, the faux leather adjustable seats or seat heaters and that we needed to pay extra to get those things. So we did pay it (they didn't give us a choice) but of course it turned out that the cheaper car got those things anyway. So what did we pay $5,000 for? Pretty much the main difference ended up being a couple of speakers and a subwoofer. That hurt too.

And finally of course there's Full Self Driving. Back then Elon Musk was everywhere telling everyone who would listen that Tesla had FSD figured out and that by the end of 2018 or 2019 at the latest they would have full-blown level-4 self-driving where you didn't need to pay attention, stay awake or even be in the car at all. They even made a big deal of announcing the "Tesla Network" which would enable owners to rent out their cars as robot taxis while they were sleeping or at work and thus the cars would pay for themselves if we would just give Tesla $10,000 more! So many of us did give Tesla the money but Tesla kept pushing the date back over and over and changing the wording of the feature so that it no longer promised that the car would be able to drive itself. Expensive lesson learned.

This is just the way Tesla does business. So after all of that why am I buying another one? Because despite all of that the Model 3 is still a very good car and a better EV value than anyone else can offer me.

If consumers don’t speak up when a company does something that’s inappropriate, we deserve to have other things removed or phased out despite them being in the product description. The whole thing just seems deceptive.

Have you seen the supply chain lately? I'd rather them do something like this than grind the assembly line to a halt.

Have you seen the supply chain lately? I'd rather them do something like this than grind the assembly line to a halt.
What would be wrong with notifying the consumer that a promised and expected feature is not available and will be remedied once the supply change is replenished? Assembly continues but you make an honest effort to notify your customers and make good on your promised functionality when available.

Instead, we don’t tell you, take away Sonic, offer no retrofit, and hide behind a boilerplate clause in the sales contract. Is that the way you expect to be treated as a consumer?

Face it, they took the low road.

Welcome to the world of Tesla. This has unfortunately been normal from the very beginning of the Model 3. For example, when the car was first introduced all the marketing and advertising photos showed it with a really nice Alcantara headliner and trim and all the articles written about the car talked about the premium materials used. The first Model 3s built all went to Tesla and SpaceX employees and they all got the Alcantara. But only the first few hundred regular buyers got it because Tesla switched to the cheap cloth you see today without any kind of notification. The same goes for the suspension. The first cars produced which all the rave reviews were based on (including my own review) had a much better suspension that was just about as good as you would find on a BMW M. But while Tesla employees got it only a few of the regular customers did before they switched to a much cheaper suspension. The suspension in current Model 3s isn't terrible but it isn't nearly as good as what was on those first cars. I was one of the many early supporters who waited in line for hours 2 years earlier to give Tesla our money before we even knew what the car would look like. Then all the reviews came out and we were out of our minds with excitement of the awesome car we were getting. But despite the fact that my car was one of the first 10k built I wasn't early enough to get the better quality Alcantara interior material or the much better suspension. That said, the car is still the best car I've ever owned and I've owned a lot. And I am buying another but those early seemingly shady moves by the company did hurt a little.

And then there's the Premium Upgrade Package we early adopters paid an extra $5,000 for. We were told that the much cheaper shorter range version of the car coming later wouldn't have the glass roof, the faux leather adjustable seats or seat heaters and that we needed to pay extra to get those things. So we did pay it (they didn't give us a choice) but of course it turned out that the cheaper car got those things anyway. So what did we pay $5,000 for? Pretty much the main difference ended up being a couple of speakers and a subwoofer. That hurt too.

And finally of course there's Full Self Driving. Back then Elon Musk was everywhere telling everyone who would listen that Tesla had FSD figured out and that by the end of 2018 or 2019 at the latest they would have full-blown level-4 self-driving where you didn't need to pay attention, stay awake or even be in the car at all. They even made a big deal of announcing the "Tesla Network" which would enable owners to rent out their cars as robot taxis while they were sleeping or at work and thus the cars would pay for themselves if we would just give Tesla $10,000 more! So many of us did give Tesla the money but Tesla kept pushing the date back over and over and changing the wording of the feature so that it no longer promised that the car would be able to drive itself. Expensive lesson learned.

This is just the way Tesla does business. So after all of that why am I buying another one? Because despite all of that the Model 3 is still a very good car and a better EV value than anyone else can offer me.
Well summarized and sadly true.

Early adopters like you have been fundamental to the success of the company. When just a few hundred or thousand consumers were dissatisfied with an undelivered promise it was hard to get traction. With the truly exponential growth, particularly of the MY and M3, there are enough consumers that dissatisfaction may have an effect and influence the company to act more responsibly.

Something as trivial as a USB port data shouldn’t be the reason you like a car. But honesty goes further than supply chain limitations.

What would be wrong with notifying the consumer that a promised and expected feature is not available and will be remedied once the supply change is replenished? Assembly continues but you make an honest effort to notify your customers and make good on your promised functionality when available.

Instead, we don’t tell you, take away Sonic, offer no retrofit, and hide behind a boilerplate clause in the sales contract. Is that the way you expect to be treated as a consumer?

Face it, they took the low road.

I agree, the communication needs to be better. But you're wrong about taking away Sonic - you can just plug the remote into the glovebox connector.

But I agree, communication should improve, certainly.

Reactions: jkeyser14
I agree, the communication needs to be better. But you're wrong about taking away Sonic - you can just plug the remote into the glovebox connector.

But I agree, communication should improve, certainly.
I wish. No Sonic. Even had service push the holiday update a second time. Reinstalled. No Sonic. Many other 2022 MY and M3 reporting no Sonic after update. It’s a shame as my game controller works via usb a on the other games that are present.

Reactions: mthomas87
I wish. No Sonic. Even had service push the holiday update a second time. Reinstalled. No Sonic. Many other 2022 MY and M3 reporting no Sonic after update. It’s a shame as my game controller works via usb a on the other games that are present.

I suspect this is just a mistake that will be corrected in an update. Someone at Tesla probably had the bright idea of not installing apps that require a controller on cars where there is no USB data support in the center console forgetting that the glovebox USB port still works for data and the controller can be plugged in there. I think they'll figure that out and fix it.

Reactions: rbcopod
@CarlThompson Thanks for that Model 3 history! The suspension change especially explains a lot. Many of the M3P reviews rave about the handling, comparing it to BMW M3s and such. And they were mostly done when the car was first launched, likely with that initial higher-quality suspension.

After my test drives (October 2021 builds) I remember wondering whether those magazine reviewers were really that oblivious, or if I was the one off my rocker. At one level I got it, the chassis and power delivery really are fun and playful, and I think the car has a lot of handling potential, but the basic dampers+springs+bushings setup feels sorely lacking in composure, control, and responsiveness compared to the best sports sedans/hatches/wagons.

If those test fleet cars had a special high-budget suspension that totally explains it. Let's be honest, that's basically using cheater cars, with a plausible deniability excuse of the first few lucky customers receiving the same spec. I wonder what the mags would think if they did a full comparison review with a 2021 M3P. In many ways it's a much improved car, but the suspension is soft and underwhelming for a performance trim, no ways around it.

Reactions: CarlThompson
Since
@CarlThompson Thanks for that Model 3 history! The suspension change especially explains a lot.

Yeah, the suspension is totally different which made those first few thousand cars feel completely different than all the rest.

But not everyone liked it because the early suspension was a little stiff (as good sport suspensions tend to be). There were some posts from people saying things like they didn't like the original suspension because if their baby was sleeping in a car seat and they went over a pothole it would be stiff enough that their baby might wake up. Seriously, that was an actually argument defending the change by one of the Tesla faithful on a different forum!

I'll also point out that Tesla doesn't have a monopoly on shady business practices. Plenty of other car companies have done similar things.

Reactions: tm1v2

Hmm - how new is the car? It’s very common for new vehicles to lag behind by a month or two on firmware. Sorry to say - but be patient; I’m sure it’ll catch up. That’s kinda normal to be frank.

• Disagree
Hmm - how new is the car? It’s very common for new vehicles to lag behind by a month or two on firmware. Sorry to say - but be patient; I’m sure it’ll catch up. That’s kinda normal to be frank.
I considered that as a possibility, but I'm running the same build as the folks who have Sonic. Looks like it is intentionally squelched for now since per service checking my account, my car reports no usb data hub despite the usb a glovebox.

Here is my solution for now:

Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB 100MB/s (U1) MicroSDXC Memory Card with Adapter (MB-MJ128GA/AM)
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B984HJ5/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_DCZ64PDDCBZCZGKN8P79?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Rocketek Aluminum USB 3.0 Portable Memory Card Reader Adapter for Micro SD Card/TF Card Reader Adapter
by Rocketek Industrial
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XTQZS4F/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_ZXT52PKDK2A3CZ3CG4JZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

BYEASY USB Hub, 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub, Ultra Slim Portable Data Hub Applicable for iMac Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini/Pro, Surface Pro, Notebook PC, Laptop, USB Flash Drives, and Mobile HDD (Leather Black)
by BYEASY Group
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FH7XJCD/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_KZMGFM9GQJA9JRWM0C37?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I unmounted the existing tesla usb a thumb drive. Plugged in the hub (above), used my Mac to format the micro endurace card for boombox and music by partitioning first then changing named partition to exfat. Plugged the micro sd card plus tesla drive into hub an still leaves two slots. One for wired gaming, the other for a wireless dongle perhaps.

I arranged the music in folders to act like playlists and the Tesla catalogued automatically by artist and genre. The playback is immediate with no skips or lags. I threw on 13 gb of music and it barely touches the capacity of the microsd card.

Let me know if you find a good wireless controller. Now if we could just get Sonic restored…

Reactions: jcanoe
Here is my solution for now:

Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB 100MB/s (U1) MicroSDXC Memory Card with Adapter (MB-MJ128GA/AM)
by Amazon.com
Learn more: Amazon.com

Rocketek Aluminum USB 3.0 Portable Memory Card Reader Adapter for Micro SD Card/TF Card Reader Adapter
by Rocketek Industrial
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XTQZS4F/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_ZXT52PKDK2A3CZ3CG4JZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

BYEASY USB Hub, 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub, Ultra Slim Portable Data Hub Applicable for iMac Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini/Pro, Surface Pro, Notebook PC, Laptop, USB Flash Drives, and Mobile HDD (Leather Black)
by BYEASY Group
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FH7XJCD/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_KZMGFM9GQJA9JRWM0C37?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I unmounted the existing tesla usb a thumb drive. Plugged in the hub (above), used my Mac to format the micro endurace card for boombox and music by partitioning first then changing named partition to exfat. Plugged the micro sd card plus tesla drive into hub an still leaves two slots. One for wired gaming, the other for a wireless dongle perhaps.

I arranged the music in folders to act like playlists and the Tesla catalogued automatically by artist and genre. The playback is immediate with no skips or lags. I threw on 13 gb of music and it barely touches the capacity of the microsd card.

Let me know if you find a good wireless controller. Now if we could just get Sonic restored…
Look at the hoops you had to jump through for this - its ridiculous. Personally I want to keep sentry completed isolated - you never know when you may need a recording and when you do - the video needs to be captured cleanly and completely. Any hicup or glitch will be blamed on your patchwork hub solution bounching around in the glovebox. It'll probably work fine but for a peace of mind better left alone. There's countless stories of key moments not recorded already. Just my 2 cents. Hoping Tesla fixes this at some point.

Look at the hoops you had to jump through for this - its ridiculous. Personally I want to keep sentry completed isolated - you never know when you may need a recording and when you do - the video needs to be captured cleanly and completely. Any hicup or glitch will be blamed on your patchwork hub solution bounching around in the glovebox. It'll probably work fine but for a peace of mind better left alone. There's countless stories of key moments not recorded already. Just my 2 cents. Hoping Tesla fixes this at some point.
Agreed. I've had enough issues in this past month of ownership sentry mode/dash cam not being active or massive delays (or just not working) opening the viewer that introducing a third party hub is just going to get Tesla to claim that's the issue.

From German forum, could be a part "issue".

1641039176316.png

Source: Neue Model 3 Q4 2021 USB Anschlüsse OHNE Datenanbindung! - Umfrage

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
Thinking this may be best solution: interested in your thoughts or others in the forum lurking.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ormond
What do you think of this solution?

Reactions: dmurphy
What do you think of this solution?

That looks pretty reasonable to me! For $49, hard to beat a controller + wireless USB interface. I’d just make sure I could return it if it doesn’t work well (ie from Amazon or something?)

I don’t know if you have any existing wireless controllers, but we happened to have an extra Xbox one controller. I bought this wireless dongle and it works great with the Tesla games. Might be a cheaper option if you have a remote already you can use?