Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would normally expect a Model year '21 3 or Y to still have full data capabilities. As a general rule, Model Year '22 and onwards do not have the data capability on the front USB C ports, and June '22 onwards do not have the cable. There's aways exceptions, but I don't think we've seen any that far outside the window.

Went to the parts department at a local store today. Unfortunately it seems that EPC may have given me a false sense of hope that they carried the J Harness USB Male to Male connector. Unfortunately, while the M3 cable appears in EPC, they gentleman that I gave the parts numbers to could not find any of the part numbers I provided him in the Parts Computer. I still happen to have a support request open for a different service center, so will report back when I have more information.

Went to the parts department at a local store today. Unfortunately it seems that EPC may have given me a false sense of hope that they carried the J Harness USB Male to Male connector. Unfortunately, while the M3 cable appears in EPC, they gentleman that I gave the parts numbers to could not find any of the part numbers I provided him in the Parts Computer. I still happen to have a support request open for a different service center, so will report back when I have more information.
Note you can put in a Parts Only request in the app by choosing the Something Else category, writing "Parts Only" then the part number(s) and description of parts and scheduling a service request for a date a bit further into the future (to avoid being charge a penalty if they don't respond before the time). They usually take a day or two to respond depending on how busy they are. It's possible the given SC does not have it in stock, in which case they will tell you the price and lead time and confirm with you if you want to proceed with the order.

Reactions: WhiteOnWhiteMY
Note you can put in a Parts Only request in the app by choosing the Something Else category, writing "Parts Only" then the part number(s) and description of parts and scheduling a service request for a date a bit further into the future (to avoid being charge a penalty if they don't respond before the time). They usually take a day or two to respond depending on how busy they are. It's possible the given SC does not have it in stock, in which case they will tell you the price and lead time and confirm with you if you want to proceed with the order.
Yeah I have one open, I got this as a reply already. Trying to explain that this should be an OTC item and thus not VIN restricted.

08CB6DBA-1E04-4917-B649-375808BA68A2.jpeg

Waiting to hear back from Tesla. My assumption is that this won’t be an easy item to order like the box and short cable were. It’s been a few days since I replied and my “appointment” is in about a week.

Yeah I have one open, I got this as a reply already. Trying to explain that this should be an OTC item and thus not VIN restricted.

View attachment 918103

Waiting to hear back from Tesla. My assumption is that this won’t be an easy item to order like the box and short cable were. It’s been a few days since I replied and my “appointment” is in about a week.
Ok, so you are trying to buy a part for a Model 3 for your Model Y. That does complicate things, as by default they associate with your VIN.

It seems at this point Tesla are making it difficult enough to not be worth the effort. We've not had any reports of our 'normal' mini to mini cable coming loose or detaching, if you're concerned about that, a wrap of electrical tape will provide some extra confidence. It's not something you'll ever see again once it's installed, so 'pretty' isn't the objective here.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteOnWhiteMY
ITs seems at this point Tesla are making it difficult enough to not be worth the effort. We've not had any reports of our 'normal' mini to mini cable coming loose or detaching, if you're concerned about that, a wrap of electrical tape will provide some extra confidence. It's not something you'll ever see again once it's installed, so 'pretty' isn't the objective here.
I’ve put about 8k miles on my car since making this post and have not had any issues. I was mostly doing this as an experiment to see if it’s possible to restore the OEM harness all the way thru and have a plug and play OEM way to do it.

Hello, so which part number should we try to order for Model Y 6' cable?
1091281-00-C

Reactions: Hyperfire21
I have an MYLR that was built in Feb 2022 and I had the wrapped data cable, although I recall the tape on mine being blue. All I did was buy one of these modules and connect the power and data cables to it. No additional hub needed.

That one is pretty nice. Although I might still go for OEM. Is your MYLR an AMD processor? Seems like people are saying those are missing the ~3 ft jumper even if the data cable is taped up.