Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But couldn’t the software be easily updated in the future? If the 2 headlights are physically interchangeable that would seem like a simple solution. As long as you’re willing to pay $$$ for replacement Matrix lights, when they’re available

Yes, a software update can make the reflector headlight level go up and down.

Yes, if you have the matrix headlights, you probably won’t see the pothole underneath the car in front of you until it’s too late.

4E790A93-3574-4A34-B3F3-445B8D801FB2.png
DD1F93D9-7CC3-4364-A111-78D690906745.jpeg

Last edited:
But couldn’t the software be easily updated in the future? If the 2 headlights are physically interchangeable that would seem like a simple solution. As long as you’re willing to pay $$$ for replacement Matrix lights, when they’re available
I wouldn’t count on Tesla ever offering a retrofit and change the vehicle configuration for you.

You could maybe try to find or pay off a tech with high enough access to change your vehicle configuration to make the lights work but Tesla mothership can also remotely check to make sure it’s not “corrupted” and change it back because they know exactly what equipment your VIN should have.

Someone in the aftermarket might offer something like an adapter module or hack the software to enable changes to the configuration but I wouldn’t count on that either.

Best bet is to get a car with the matrix lights in the first place if that’s what you want.

Reactions: Kowalshy
Curious if anybody out there has, or heard of someone who refused delivery on an M3 without Matrix to wait for a replacement that did have matrix. My delivery window 6/25 - 7/9/22 M3 LR MSM
I rejected my vin on Sunday because of the reflectors, and got a new vin yesterday again with the reflectors unfortunately….cant do much about it because they said if i reject a 3rd time they might cancel the order…gonna see if a retrofit is available down the line and go from there :)

Reactions: ehadrive3
Reflector headlights are inferior. That light straight ahead is due to less precision as they are more prone to blinding oncoming traffic.
Neither the current Global or Premium headlamps on the Model 3 exceeded the IIHS's glare limits, and the IIHS rates both of them "good". (However, the pre-July-2018 headlamps did have "some glare" and worse straight ahead lighting, and were rated "acceptable".)

In IIHS tests, the Premium headlamps have more reach straight ahead, while the Global headlamps have better coverage to the sides. So if you like the drive faster on straight roads at night, you may slightly prefer the Premium headlamps, but if you drive on curvy roads at night, you may slightly prefer the Global headlamps. But the differences are probably small enough that it is unlikely to be worth rejecting delivery just on the basis of which headlamps are on the car.

Neither the current Global or Premium headlamps on the Model 3 exceeded the IIHS's glare limits, and the IIHS rates both of them "good". (However, the pre-July-2018 headlamps did have "some glare" and worse straight ahead lighting, and were rated "acceptable".)

In IIHS tests, the Premium headlamps have more reach straight ahead, while the Global headlamps have better coverage to the sides. So if you like the drive faster on straight roads at night, you may slightly prefer the Premium headlamps, but if you drive on curvy roads at night, you may slightly prefer the Global headlamps. But the differences are probably small enough that it is unlikely to be worth rejecting delivery just on the basis of which headlamps are on the car.

^^This. From my experience I want to be able to see/identify objects or potholes ahead in the dark, especially on wet road surface. You don't want to guess if it is a pothole or puddle half a second away from impact. Extra reaction time is helpful.

I rejected my vin on Sunday because of the reflectors, and got a new vin yesterday again with the reflectors unfortunately….cant do much about it because they said if i reject a 3rd time they might cancel the order…gonna see if a retrofit is available down the line and go from there :)
Are you contacting your Sales Advisor to see what is included in your VIN?

Here’s a summarized discussion on Matrix vs. Premium headlights from discord and r/.

Comparing Matrix vs. Premium on Tesla 3, (two m3, one mS), drivers felt Premium headlights were slightly brighter.

According to Audi drivers, Matrix headlights don’t work in urban areas.

Reactions: Gor88
Here’s a summarized discussion on Matrix vs. Premium headlights from discord and r/.

Comparing Matrix vs. Premium on Tesla 3, (two m3, one mS), drivers felt Premium headlights were slightly brighter.

According to Audi drivers, Matrix headlights don’t work in urban areas.

Interesting. The Model S on IIHS (reflectors at least) has less output than the Model 3 and Model Y headlights. Audi headlights would be different as well. I've learned that not all LED headlights are created equal, even when talking about reflector or projector designs. The beam patterns will differ based on the style/shape/design and many factors. My Fusion Sport has LED projectors but they are sh*t for output. You are on top of a tire eater pothole before you can see it, and that's with the beams properly adjusted and the fog lights running. My Explorer has LED reflectors and you can see much much further as well as in front without foglights.

Before IIHS started posting headlight data, no one had a quantitative way to compare headlights without somehow obtaining FMVSS 108 photometric test data - either from a 3rd party test facility, or by paying the test facility to do the actual tests. IIHS's data presents it in a more useful way, otherwise the test facility generally throws out a 2D plot, or maybe overhead view with a contour plot. Useful but not as quick to reference as the IIHS 5 lux graphs.

I'd say based on the IIHS data, the Projector LEDs on the Model 3 would give you better peripheral lighting. So when you are turning at intersections in the dark, or on curvy/windy roads, you'll see more of the sides as mentioned already. Kind of like Ford's LED foglights to some extent. The reflector LEDs have more output straight ahead in low and high beams - which to me is more important for identifying objects ahead (is that a piece of plywood, a puddle, or a tire eater pothole) especially on unlit roads. If you've driven I-80 through Pennsylvania at 1AM, it's basically your headlights showing what is ahead of you. If anything, the Model 3 (reflector or projector) could benefit from about 25% more output straight ahead.

Reactions: tm3lrawd
The difference between the Tesla Model 3 Global and Premium headlamps in IIHS testing ( 2021 Tesla Model 3 4-door sedan ) is small compared to the differences in different headlamps in some other cars. For example, in the BMW 3-series, the IIHS rates the headlamps as "good" with the "Icon Adaptive LED Headlights with Laserlight Package", but "poor" without: 2022 BMW 3 series 4-door sedan . Meanwhile, the Audi A4 headlamps are rated "good", "acceptable", or "marginal" depending on trim level (Prestige, Premium Plus, Premium): 2022 Audi A4 4-door sedan

Reactions: metroplex
@3sr+buyer I actually ignore their assessment and just look at the raw data. They said my 2018 Explorer's LED lowbeams were rated poor, mainly because of the 232% glare. But I can actually see the road and its one of the best headlights I've used on a vehicle that isn't uber expensive. I've seen them rate headlights as acceptable or good but the output wasn't at a level I felt was adequate. It's great to be able to see headlight testing though! In the past it was a guessing game.

@3sr+buyer I actually ignore their assessment and just look at the raw data. They said my 2018 Explorer's LED lowbeams were rated poor, mainly because of the 232% glare.
It does look like "excessive glare" results in an automatic "poor" rating from the IIHS. Presumably they think that if someone else cannot see because of glare, they are more likely to crash, possibly into you.

You may be able to get some idea of whether your headlamps make too much glare by going behind and in front of a car (not an SUV, pickup, or van; can do it with a parked car) and seeing if the upper cutoff of the bright part of the low beam is below the windows of the car.

Yes, a software update can make the reflector headlight level go up and down.

Yes, if you have the matrix headlights, you probably won’t see the pothole underneath the car in front of you until it’s too late.

View attachment 819171View attachment 819180

So do the Matrix headlights "cut off" the glare for oncoming vehicles or vehicles ahead of you even in low-beam ? Or does this work only when you have high beams on ?

So do the Matrix headlights "cut off" the glare for oncoming vehicles or vehicles ahead of you even in low-beam ? Or does this work only when you have high beams on ?
The adaptive driving beam function of matrix headlights only work on high beam. Foreground lighting should remain the same as low beam so that illustration is not correct.

But the adaptive driving beam function is not currently active in any Tesla vehicle even if equipped with the matrix headlights.

Deferred pickup of my m3lr due to vacation. Just got new VIN 299XXX and verified to have matrix headlights.
Ugh, went to take delivery today but it looks like they were trying to pull a bait-and-switch on me as the vehicle actually has reflector headlights. When I texted tesla on site, I was appalled that the person replying tried to sell me that matrix headlights had been discontinued... Well, if you are going to lie in my face maybe try harder cuz I checked all the non-performance M3s on the delivery lot and half of them have matrix headlights. I ended up rejecting delivery, but the fact that we are seeing reflector lights in the most recent VINs means they are still making them...

Ugh, went to take delivery today but it looks like they were trying to pull a bait-and-switch on me as the vehicle actually has reflector headlights. When I texted tesla on site, I was appalled that the person replying tried to sell me that matrix headlights had been discontinued... Well, if you are going to lie in my face maybe try harder cuz I checked all the non-performance M3s on the delivery lot and half of them have matrix headlights. I ended up rejecting delivery, but the fact that we are seeing reflector lights in the most recent VINs means they are still making them...
Ugh that’s disappointing. Do you know what the build date was for that one? I’ve seen 298xxx and 300xxx with matrix but maybe they were actually made after your 299xxx VIN 🤔

Unless they’re literally just randomly throwing them in now so there’s no pattern to it anymore….

Did you already lock your loan rate?

You're only one comment away from unlocking your signature! Out of curiosity, what was the actual timeframe from removing the hold and a new VIN assigned? I am in a hold right now until my vacation next week, which just so happens to line up with the Illinois EV rebate starting. Trying to decide if I should remove the hold while on vacation to speed things up, or if I play it safe and wait until the end.
I actually have the same question @Originalando. I caught your message here about the IL EV rebate one morning.As fate would have it that eve my ED changed and went to completing my task and selecting pick up time. I couldn’t believe it lol But I went to talk with the SA and decided to put it on hold until July 1st. So now I have the same question. At what point should I remove the hold so that I can get back in line? The waiting is killing me!

Reactions: Originalando