Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly I chose to release VIN 2414xx which is a LR because it had no matrix. She told me this trim does not have matrix, I said we have 2 LRs here with the matrix lights and asked if this a recent change. She never elaborated and instead asked why is this feature so important to us. I said we like how they work and for us this is an expensive premium car we don't want the older lights. So we released the VIN and not even 10 minutes later it got reassigned to us again
They reassigned you the same car after rejecting it already?

The connectors are the same and installation is plug and play. But as stated, it requires convincing someone to modify the software config before the lights will work.

See this thread where people have successfully done it: New headlights retrofit
I’ve read and observed first hand otherwise. Just because someone expands, don’t believe it. Honestly, I don’t care, as my only concern is my forthcoming M3LR, which must have Global.

Mmm I feel like the rep is just saying that so they don’t have to deal with a refused car. They’ll probably just turn around in a few weeks and say ‘oh sorry we tried but l Tesla corporate said they won’t allow it. You’re stuck with the car now byeeee.’

There’s no official word on Tesla actually sanctioning or approving such a retrofit, at least not yet. There have been a couple people that have successfully convinced service techs to change the car configuration to accept the new lights but most people hit a brick wall when trying to get Tesla to do so.
If they person didn’t get it in writing, he/she is definitely SOL. I am surprised people still believe their SAs for information like this.

I’ve read and observed first hand otherwise. Just because someone expands, don’t believe it. Honestly, I don’t care, as my only concern is my forthcoming M3LR, which must have Global.
Just got a new VIN 251xxx. It should have new lights right? Right? Right? Right? Riiiiiiight?!!
Call your SA, they’d be able to provide an answer regarding Matrix with your VIN.

Just called Tesla, VIN 2411xx and was told I have the Global lights. WOO HOO!!!!
Delivery says 5/8-5/13. She said it is scheduled to arrive 5/11.
M3LR ... sorry, I didn't ask the production date.
OK, just called for a 2nd time to confirm .... my VIN does have the Matrix headlights, Factory build date was 4/22.
I won't believe them until I see it with my own eyes. Good luck everyone.

Sadly I chose to release VIN 2414xx which is a LR because it had no matrix. She told me this trim does not have matrix, I said we have 2 LRs here with the matrix lights and asked if this a recent change. She never elaborated and instead asked why is this feature so important to us. I said we like how they work and for us this is an expensive premium car we don't want the older lights. So we released the VIN and not even 10 minutes later it got reassigned to us again
Hey let us know how it impacts your EDD. I have pickup scheduled for Monday. I know my car doesn't have them. So long as there's nothing else obviously wrong with the car, I plan on accepting as the headlights aren't my biggest concern... even though I AM disappointed for the downgrade. BUT if there are panel gaps, paint issues, or anything else I may have otherwise decided to live with, I'll reject the delivery. I can live with a small alignment issue here, or a paint chip there, but add that to the downgraded headlights and I think I'll wait for a more-perfect car. Can't imagine going back to playing the waiting game again, but also don't want to regret the purchase always second-guessing the decision.

Reactions: E90alex
We wonder why these SAs are hesitant to share anything? The number of posts I've seen here that would piss me off as a Tesla employee is almost comical. Hey I don't have a VIN yet but I want to know right now if I'll get the matrix lights. Or the guys calling multiple agents or over and over. Calm down folks, calm down. They're headlights. When you have a VIN, ask which lights are on the car. If you're not happy, make a decision about whether you're going to reject or keep it. They're not giving you free supercharger miles, acceleration boost, floor mats, etc. They don't owe us anything. Disappointed? Welcome to this big joke we call life. Won't be the last time.

For the record, I politely asked my SA if there was anything she could do to make up for the lack of matrix lights. The answer was a quick no. They want you to be happy with the car. There's no problem with rejecting delivery if you're willing to wait longer to get exactly what you want. Just keep in mind who has the leverage and your expectations may come back to earth. If you don't take the car there are likely hundreds of people in your area waiting on the same or a similar build. Threatening the SA or acting like a child over the headlights won't get you anywhere.
I'm off my soapbox. Sorry

DBC3CEB6-6289-4ADD-9633-071C172AF4E9.jpeg

Tesla Vaughan, Canada
Majority with these above headlights. I believe they’re the Matrix lights? I only saw 2-3 with the older style headlamp

Tons of M3s/Y’s in the lot
I noticed they had white stickers covering the charging ports. Is that standard packaging or is it because they’re missing parts?

View attachment 801660
Tesla Vaughan, Canada
Majority with these above headlights. I believe they’re the Matrix lights? I only saw 2-3 with the older style headlamp

Tons of M3s/Y’s in the lot
I noticed they had white stickers covering the charging ports. Is that standard packaging or is it because they’re missing parts?
Yep those are the matrix lights. Tape over the charge port seems to indicate being affected by the charge port parts shortage.