Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be worse than just a circling ship outside of port…

Thanks for posting that.
Vehicle carriers do not have a good safety record.
The accidents and incidents can be largely grouped into 2 different cause groups - Fire and Instability.

Let’s look at fires first of all. That is now 7 major fires since January 2019 that I am aware of:

January 2019 SINCERITY ACE caught fire whilst crossing the Pacific with 3500 Nissans on board. 5 Crewman died

March 2019 GRANDE AMERICA caught fire and sank in the Bay of Biscay

May 2019 GRANDE EUROPA caught fire whilst off the Spanish coast in the Mediterranean. It had no less than 2 separate fires in brand new vehicles within the space of 4 hours.

May 2019 PLATINUM RAY Fire. Korea

June 2019 DIAMOND HIGHWAY was abandoned in the South China Sea because of a fire onboard.

June 2020 HOEGH XIAMEN caught fire whilst loading at Jacksonville Florida. Despite the fire service being on scene very quickly and using drones with IR cameras to detect hot spots, the ship continued to burn for days and was a total loss. This fire was very concerning since if a fire cannot be extinguished when alongside with the benefit of a fully equipped fire service using fire boats and all the latest technology, what chance would it have at sea?

The causation of most of these fires is put down to car batteries, that’s normal ICE 12V car batteries on brand new cars. No, I don’t suppose you read about these horrific incidents in the Daily Mail since they didn’t involve a Tesla.

The other major issue with these ships is their stability or rather potential instability.
Generally there are 2 reasons for stability issues the first of which is water ingress and the second is failing to ballast or trim the vessel properly. The latter can often lead to the former.

Typing the following incidents into a search engine will produce an eye-opening read.

Dec 02 TRICOLOR Enroute from Zeebrugge to Southampton sank following collision. Notoriously hit twice more by 2 different vessels.

Jul 06 COUGAR ACE Developed a severe list

Dec 12 BALTIC ACE 11 died following a collision

Jan 15 HOEGH OSAKA Developed a severe list. MAIB report here.

Jan 16 MODERN EXPRESS Severe list

Dec 16 GLOVIS CORONA List North Sea

Sep 19 GOLDEN RAY Capsized

The American NTSB report on the GOLDEN RAY is yet to be published, however there were some US Coastguard hearings in September from which you can get a very good idea of what went on.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that.
Vehicle carriers do not have a good safety record.
The accidents and incidents can be largely grouped into 2 different cause groups - Fire and Instability.

Let’s look at fires first of all. That is now 6 major fires since January 2019 that I am aware of:

January 2019 SINCERITY ACE caught fire whilst crossing the Pacific with 3500 Nissans on board. 5 Crewman died

March 2019 GRANDE AMERICA caught fire and sank in the Bay of Biscay

May 2019 GRANDE EUROPA caught fire whilst off the Spanish coast in the Mediterranean. It had no less than 2 separate fires in brand new vehicles within the space of 4 hours.

June 2019 DIAMOND HIGHWAY was abandoned in the South China Sea because of a fire onboard.

June 2020 HOEGH XIAMEN caught fire whilst loading at Jacksonville Florida. Despite the fire service being on scene very quickly and using drones with IR cameras to detect hot spots, the ship continued to burn for days and was a total loss. This fire was very concerning since if a fire cannot be extinguished when alongside with the benefit of a fully equipped fire service using fire boats and all the latest technology, what chance would it have at sea?

The causation of most of these fires is put down to car batteries, that’s normal ICE 12V car batteries on brand new cars. No, I don’t suppose you read about these horrific incidents in the Daily Mail since they didn’t involve a Tesla.

The other major issue with these ships is their stability or rather potential instability.
Generally there are 2 reasons for stability issues the first of which is water ingress and the second is failing to ballast or trim the vessel properly. The latter can often lead to the former.

Typing the following incidents into a search engine will produce an eye-opening read.

Dec 02 TRICOLOR Enroute from Zeebrugge to Southampton sank following collision. Notoriously hit twice more by 2 different vessels.

Jul 06 COUGAR ACE Developed a severe list

Dec 12 BALTIC ACE 11 died following a collision

Jan 15 HOEGH OSAKA Developed a severe list. MAIB report here.

Jan 16 MODERN EXPRESS Severe list

Sep 19 GOLDEN RAY Capsized

The American NTSB report on the GOLDEN RAY is yet to be published, however there were some US Coastguard hearings in September from which you can get a very good idea of what went on.
For the sake of providing the whole picture here, fire on board is devastating for every ship. Crewmembers are always the first and foremost only firedepartment they have at sea. Other assistance from the shore if possible is always in assistance of the crew as they know their ship.
Fires get much hotter compared to “normal” fires on land. Few hundred degrees hotter. This due to the fact that it’s always in confined spaces and in metal.
This is also why crewmembers always get extensive firefighting training and they rehearse this several times per week.

I don’t know about the amount of fires on roro ships compared to other ships.

For Dutch readers: This is why these carriers prefer not to enter the harbour with those strong winds:
That looks very much like she only had 1 tug in attendance at the time - the 2nd tug can be seen racing to the scene of the incident.

For the sake of providing the whole picture here, fire on board is devastating for every ship. Crewmembers are always the first and foremost only firedepartment they have at sea. Other assistance from the shore if possible is always in assistance of the crew as they know their ship.
Fires get much hotter compared to “normal” fires on land. Few hundred degrees hotter. This due to the fact that it’s always in confined spaces and in metal.
This is also why crewmembers always get extensive firefighting training and they rehearse this several times per week.

I don’t know about the amount of fires on roro ships compared to other ships.
Even firefighting training can be dangerous.
Last September three seamen died on a RoRo when they were in a compartment which was unintentionally flooded with CO2 during fire training.

Haha we are having the same experience. When I received the first text last evening, I checked the link via my phone and there were no options. Then, I received the second text telling me the same thing. After that I used the link on my computer and there I saw ACTUALLY options 😂 Option 1: March 12 anytime. Option 2: March 14 anytime. I chose my initially allocated time so no changes there 🙂
i phoned them this morning as my schedule changed online to the windon 2nd to 16th march again, where it started the day, they just told me it shouldn't have been scheduled. they wouldn't or couldn't tell me what ship it is on.

• Informative
Reactions: MoSkeeto
VIKING BRAVERY and GLOVIS CONDOR have not entered Zeebrugge as expected and continue to loiter well clear of Zeebrugge.
I have no idea what is going on with them.View attachment 769897

SFL COMPOSER is not hanging around and is making nearly 19kts enroute to Southampton. ETA 22 Feb
HELIOS RAY is still unloading in Ashdod but is now due to arrive in Koper on Sunday. Some MY have been spotted onboard destined for Koper.

View attachment 769898

MSC IMMACOLATA and GRAND PIONEER are now safely in the Red Sea
I've revised my ETA for the former to arrive in Southampton around 01 Mar.
We still haven't seen any indications that GRAND PIONEER is heading to Koper and so she may be heading to Zeebrugge. Yesterday I mentioned that she should overtake MSC IMMACOLATA however today I can't see that happening and if anything the gap between them has widened. Typical.

View attachment 769900

As reported earlier RCC AMSTERDAM is in plaid mode. She is averaging over 19kts and has knocked 24hrs off her ETA for Suez.
I now estimate she should arrive in Southampton on 06 Mar but it could be even earlier.....
Enter the RCC AMSTERDAM competition

View attachment 769901

GLOVIS CHORUS has just finished refuelling in Singapore and should depart imminently.
MORNING CARINA She is definitely heading for Southampton 14 Mar and Zeebrugge 16 Mar.
GRAND DOLPHIN departed Shanghai South this morning for Singapore. I wonder if this is will be a Koper-bound ship.

View attachment 769902

On the watch listView attachment 769903

and over in the Far East I am watching these four ships:

View attachment 769905

Earlier today I had a good old trawl through the Shanghai anchorages looking for the next possible ship from Shanghai South and came away empty handed. I think we have seen the last of the departures to Southampton and Zeebrugge for this quarter although departures to Koper are still possible.
I’ve been advised that my Belfast bound Tesla M3 RWD is on Grand Pioneer. Was shown it on screen today by Tesla Advisor.

I am guessing that some of us might have questions, other than shipping movements.
So in order to try and help, I would suggest to check out non-shipping related chat such as:

This way we can keep this chat more ship tracking.
Hope I helped! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.