Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we concerned about escalating tensions between Taiwan and China affecting the shipping lanes there?
Not at the moment.
If anything kicks off then that might be different and I could envisage sanctions on Chinese imports to EU and UK being tabled.
This would be far worse for the West than we experienced with Russion sanctions. The consequences would be almost unthinkable.
So unlikely to happen in my opinion. Nevertheless, the sooner Berlin gets up and running the better....

Last edited:
No, you'll likely see nothing until after you've collected the car. If it's a car ALD accept before it's allocated to you, you may see it appear once its delivered to ALD
The VIN is allocated to the reservation number. If you see the reservation number on your account then you should see the VIN when it appears.
I used to advise folk to place their order with Tesla direct. Then find a leasing company with the best rates (they vary a lot) and then give them the RN. They will liaise with Tesla to arrange delivery. You may get the car delivered to your door by the leasing company. Tesla refund the £100 to you once you take delivery. As far as Tesla sales accounting is concerned, the car is not sold until the car is delivered to the customer, even for lease customers, so the idea that Tesla can deliver 500 cars to a leasing company on the last day of the quarter and count them all as sold doesn't pass muster- they must be in the customers possession. I don't know for sure but I suspect Tesla must have an incentive for the leasing companies to deliver their cars promptly.

This is shipping related question so bear with me....

Schedules my delivery in Ireland today for Sept 17th. EDD was showing 2-16 September. Initially I thought the cars for Ireland we're on Morning Chorus or Glovis Summit and getting into Zebrugge on Aug 17th/18th I think,so you would expect the cars to make it to Ireland within a week worst case scenario as Tesla don't tend to hold the cars anywhere any longer than they have to. So based on that I don't think Morning Chorus or Glovis Summit. If this is true and given the date of Sept 17th delivery, is it possible that the cars are still in China? I did also call Tesla to see if I could get an earlier delivery date as others have but was advise that my car was arriving on Sept 16th. Asked what ship it was on but they were not able to give any info on that.
The issue I have with this is the date of arrival in Dublin - 16 Sep which is a Friday. The ship I expect them to use arrives on Thursdays and departs from Zeebrugge on a Tuesday which would be 13th Sep.
The other issue is that, unusually, we know most of the details of the EU shipments for Q3.
You car is on either MORNING CHORUS, GLOVIS SUMMIT, HOEGH ST PETERSBURG or the ship (SWALLOW ACE or RCC ANTWERP) currently heading for Barcelona. That's it.

Reactions: Seaview
Exactly the same with me. M3P ordered in November. They don’t give a sh** about central europe
in the meantime i got VIN, invoice paid, and the EDD between 2-16.08, which is stupid, but the 1st vessel will arrive on 12.08 in Koper, so hopefully on 20.08 i got my M3P.
but hang in there, Q3 is the one for you :)
in RO, its somehow different due to government grant which needs to be awarded BEFORE the car. after that, your dealer forwards the order and you get VIN, but that takes a lot.
from NOV to FEB the government grant was blocked, so that waiting meant 0. in MAY i got the grant, and in AUG the VIN.
now, lets hope the next 2 KOPER vessels contain your order :)

Not too much of a problem. 50% of shipping avoid the Straits of Taiwan in any case and route to the east of Taiwan. It's just that they will have to give Taiwan a bit more of a wider berth. The biggest danger in these waters is the Chinese fishing fleet. They are poorly lit, or very brightly lit (destroys your night vision), often don't use AIS to show their position, don't follow any rules, don't answer the radio, don't speak English if they do, don't give way when they should, are utterly unpredictable and there are hundreds of them!
Sounds like a few drivers on our roads!

Wednesday 03 Aug 22

RCC ANTWERP ... She has posted an ETA for Suez of 19 Aug ... she could arrive in Southampton on 27 Aug
Thanks again as always for the great daily info. Just to confirm, *if* RCC ANTWERP is indeed destined to deliver UK cars, when would we expect to start seeing VINs assigned (in source code)? Would it be upon departure (i.e. now-ish), or nearer arrival at Suez, or nearer arrival to Southampton? I'll keep checking source code approx. every 0.0063s anyway, but just be good to have a realistic expectation. Thanks!

Thanks again as always for the great daily info. Just to confirm, *if* RCC ANTWERP is indeed destined to deliver UK cars, when would we expect to start seeing VINs assigned (in source code)? Would it be upon departure (i.e. now-ish), or nearer arrival at Suez, or nearer arrival to Southampton? I'll keep checking source code approx. every 0.0063s anyway, but just be good to have a realistic expectation. Thanks!
My understanding is that is was historically around Suez, but last Q things moved fwd to be around the refuel at Singapore.

This could have been because it was a quiet quarter. It also proved an issue when one ship had technical difficulties and docked for repairs rendering 4500 EDDs with VINs incorrect.

Reactions: adambg
My understanding is that is was historically around Suez, but last Q things moved fwd to be around the refuel at Singapore.

This could have been because it was a quiet quarter. It also proved an issue when one ship had technical difficulties and docked for repairs rendering 4500 EDDs with VINs incorrect.
Ok so could potentially still be another two weeks before we see VINs appear. Another interesting thing to watch out for will be when revised trade-in quotes start appearing, as mine has been pending for ages and I have read other posts on here saying Tesla aren't going to update them until within 30 days of delivery of the new car.

Reactions: Jason71
Ok so could potentially still be another two weeks before we see VINs appear. Another interesting thing to watch out for will be when revised trade-in quotes start appearing, as mine has been pending for ages and I have read other posts on here saying Tesla aren't going to update them until within 30 days of delivery of the new car.
Will just add that the last batch of EDDs for the ships en route now seemed to be early also (between Shanghai and Singapore? perhaps someone can confirm).

I’m also waiting for a trade-in renewal offer with an EDD of September, so hopefully not much longer.

Reactions: adambg
Not at the moment.
If anything kicks off then that might be different and I could envisage sanctions on Chinese imports to EU and UK being tabled.
This would be far worse for the West than we experienced with Russion sanctions. The consequences would be almost unthinkable.
So unlikely to happen in my opinion. Nevertheless, the sooner Berlin gets up and running the better....
At 0745GMT this morning, It doesn’t look like the shipping traffic has been affected by the ‘closure’ of the strait.

Attachments

• 84FC28D4-EF74-466F-8764-7247C16D0223.jpeg
    84FC28D4-EF74-466F-8764-7247C16D0223.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 93
Reactions: Human_
The VIN is allocated to the reservation number. If you see the reservation number on your account then you should see the VIN when it appears.
I used to advise folk to place their order with Tesla direct. Then find a leasing company with the best rates (they vary a lot) and then give them the RN. They will liaise with Tesla to arrange delivery. You may get the car delivered to your door by the leasing company. Tesla refund the £100 to you once you take delivery. As far as Tesla sales accounting is concerned, the car is not sold until the car is delivered to the customer, even for lease customers, so the idea that Tesla can deliver 500 cars to a leasing company on the last day of the quarter and count them all as sold doesn't pass muster- they must be in the customers possession. I don't know for sure but I suspect Tesla must have an incentive for the leasing companies to deliver their cars promptly
Does the leasing company not own the title to the car? To me leasing and financing are two different things. With a lease you don’t become owner of the car. With financing you do but the car is collateral to the loan.

Or maybe this is just different for UK vs NL.

The issue I have with this is the date of arrival in Dublin - 16 Sep which is a Friday. The ship I expect them to use arrives on Thursdays and departs from Zeebrugge on a Tuesday which would be 13th Sep.
The other issue is that, unusually, we know most of the details of the EU shipments for Q3.
You car is on either MORNING CHORUS, GLOVIS SUMMIT, HOEGH ST PETERSBURG or the ship (SWALLOW ACE or RCC ANTWERP) currently heading for Barcelona. That's it.
Just booked my M3LR collection date 24th September Ireland.

I used to advise folk to place their order with Tesla direct. Then find a leasing company with the best rates (they vary a lot) and then give them the RN. They will liaise with Tesla to arrange delivery. You may get the car delivered to your door by the leasing company. Tesla refund the £100 to you once you take delivery. As far as Tesla sales accounting is concerned, the car is not sold until the car is delivered to the customer, even for lease customers, so the idea that Tesla can deliver 500 cars to a leasing company on the last day of the quarter and count them all as sold doesn't pass muster- they must be in the customers possession. I don't know for sure but I suspect Tesla must have an incentive for the leasing companies to deliver their cars promptly.
Ok thanks, will it be Tesla who arrange delivery then via text or ALD direct?

Does the leasing company not own the title to the car? To me leasing and financing are two different things. With a lease you don’t become owner of the car. With financing you do but the car is collateral to the loan.

Or maybe this is just different for UK vs NL.
I understand the difference however it's the Tesla definition of 'delivered' that I am pointing out. I think Tesla were very keen to avoid any suspicion of dumping when they produce their always amazing quarterly figures. If the car is not in the hands of the end-user (presumably an activated Tesla account) then the car is excluded from the stats. Since Tesla don't discount (even to Hertz!) the practice of dumping is not likely to occur in any case.

At 0745GMT this morning, It doesn’t look like the shipping traffic has been affected by the ‘closure’ of the strait.
warning-zones-1-904x1024.png

These are the areas Taiwan have closed until 07 Aug in response to the Chinese activity. The Chinese will undoubtedly test the boundaries or question their legality and the scope for misunderstandings is high.

If the car is not in the hands of the end-user (presumably an activated Tesla account) then the car is excluded from the stats.
Absolutely correct. My M3P was being delivered to Bordeaux in a short window of 24 June to 30 June. I was out of the country so couldn't pick it up during that time so I asked if I could take delivery on 1 July. 'Non!' was the answer (slips into Q3)...so here I am, waiting again.

I, like you are hoping that my car is on Antwerp. I would say that we could expect to see VINS in the next week. For some reason Antwerp doesn't need to refuel in Singapore. I know Mr M will correct me but I think the reason they usually issue after refuel is in case there are any issues with crew change / refueling. So once they are properly underway I think the VINs will start to appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.