Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Tesla Model Y cabin noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moderator note:
For more discussion on this topic please see the most active thread which is here:

===============================

I recently took delivery of a new 2022 Model Y. I have noticed some cabin noise which is like a differential air pressure - similar to when only one window is open (fully or partially), or when two windows are open but on the same side of the vehicle. This differential pressure causes a slight rumbling effect in the ears.

I am wondering if anyone has had a similar issue. If this is indeed an issue could be a seal problem and is it an easy fix on my own? Or is this a Tesla service issue to address.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently took delivery of a new 2022 Model Y. I have noticed some cabin noise which is like a differential air pressure - similar to when only one window is open (fully or partially), or when two windows are open but on the same side of the vehicle. This differential pressure causes a slight rumbling effect in the ears.

I am wondering if anyone has had a similar issue. If this is indeed an issue could be a seal problem and is it an easy fix on my own? Or is this a Tesla service issue to address.
There's a pretty long thread here about ear pain/pressure in the Model Y. I think some people have solved the issue by redoing the seals in the trunk. I think some say a cargo divider in the trunk also helps. This might be a good starting point.

There's a pretty long thread here about ear pain/pressure in the Model Y. I think some people have solved the issue by redoing the seals in the trunk. I think some say a cargo divider in the trunk also helps. This might be a good starting point.
👆look up at this thread like previous poster said.

I had a similar issue (2022 MYP, Fremont, built 12/2021) of slight fluctuating cabin pressure which made my ears pop often and made my head feel strange. Also made me tired fairly quickly. However my trunk made fairly loud snare drum sounds whenever going over bumpy roads. My trunk panel gaps were also large enough that Tesla deemed them out of specification. Tesla technicians felt no ear pressure issues & sent car to a body shop for trunk and other door panel gap corrections. My plan was to get gaped fixed and sell car. But luckily I didn’t end up selling.
Got car back and thrashing drum like sound from trunk vanished and so did the odd cabin pressure issues which made my ears pop every so often & my head no longer felt as if it were under pressure. I no longer felt tired from driving the car. Body shop realigned the trunk and doors. the four liftgate bump stoppers wee adjusted too. The above thread mentions the liftgate bump stoppers.
Good luck.

Reactions: tm3lrawd and M0SA
That ear pain/pressure thread is pretty long for a newcomer, I can definitely sympathize in understanding where to start...there really should be a go-to post.

In any case I did make an entire video about that which covers everything in this regard:

Basically I'd order it as so:

1) Hatch stop adjustments -> fast tutorial
2) If still not great, add vinyl tubing in the gasket (see my video above)
3) If you still want improvement, add rigid hatch stops (3D Printed, Non 3D Printed)
4) If you still want improvement, add a cargo cover
5) If you still want improvement, add sound deadening

I've done all of these and I cover it in the video. My car is pretty well perfect.

That ear pain/pressure thread is pretty long for a newcomer, I can definitely sympathize in understanding where to start...there really should be a go-to post.

In any case I did make an entire video about that which covers everything in this regard:

3) If you still want improvement, add rigid hatch stops (3D Printed, Non 3D Printed)

I've done all of these and I cover it in the video. My car is pretty well perfect.
👆👆👆👆👆 yes. How could I forget. Watched the video a few weeks ago. Everyone watch and do not forget to push the like button (maybe helps search engine too?.)

Reactions: ilovecoffee

Awesome! Much appreciated for the clutch summary!

👆look up at this thread like previous poster said.

I had a similar issue (2022 MYP, Fremont, built 12/2021) of slight fluctuating cabin pressure which made my ears pop often and made my head feel strange. Also made me tired fairly quickly. However my trunk made fairly loud snare drum sounds whenever going over bumpy roads. My trunk panel gaps were also large enough that Tesla deemed them out of specification. Tesla technicians felt no ear pressure issues & sent car to a body shop for trunk and other door panel gap corrections. My plan was to get gaped fixed and sell car. But luckily I didn’t end up selling.
Got car back and thrashing drum like sound from trunk vanished and so did the odd cabin pressure issues which made my ears pop every so often & my head no longer felt as if it were under pressure. I no longer felt tired from driving the car. Body shop realigned the trunk and doors. the four liftgate bump stoppers wee adjusted too. The above thread mentions the liftgate bump stoppers.
Good luck.
I experience the ear pressure as well - Was Tesla the one fixing your car?
The Tesla SC at Tarrytown said they don't notice anything that they can fix - because they don't know where is it coming from, so nothing can be done unless I tell them where the air is coming from- or where the noise is coming from. Very disappointing :(

I experience the ear pressure as well - Was Tesla the one fixing your car?
The Tesla SC at Tarrytown said they don't notice anything that they can fix - because they don't know where is it coming from, so nothing can be done unless I tell them where the air is coming from- or where the noise is coming from. Very disappointing :(
Tesla SC sent my car to a nearby Tesla certified body shop since Tesla did not have the equipment to handle trunk alignment issues.

My Tesla SC stated that all within specs and could not hear/detect the air buffeting. But I can feel it, just like the rear windows were not closed. I even stayed inside the trunk, closed the trunk cover so that I could tell that the trunk cover is not symmetric with trunk edges - one side has a larger gap than the other.

I tried to see if the "loop" could be adjusted - without luck. They are all fix positioned. I am considering selling the car.

@ElectricAnt54, how did you convince your SC? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

• Disagree
Reactions: EvilStryke
My Tesla SC stated that all within specs and could not hear/detect the air buffeting. But I can feel it, just like the rear windows were not closed. I even stayed inside the trunk, closed the trunk cover so that I could tell that the trunk cover is not symmetric with trunk edges - one side has a larger gap than the other.

I tried to see if the "loop" could be adjusted - without luck. They are all fix positioned. I am considering selling the car.

@ElectricAnt54, how did you convince your SC? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
How long has it been happening for you? Mine did it for the first day. It was very painful. But then it just went away.

My trunk liftgate had large gap from the car’s rear quarter panel on one side and a tiny tiny teeeny gap on the other side. Below link is an image of someone else’s car but mine was like this. Also when going over moderate jumps loud banging / snare drum sounds could be heard. I think the liftgate was also misaligned because my tail light plastic did not meet up well with the corresponding plastic which was on the rear car body panel. The rear trunk panel gaps were not symmetrical. One was tiny and other large. FirstbzsC said all is good. Second sc said out of spec. 🤷‍♂️

My trunk liftgate had large gap from the car’s rear quarter panel on one side and a tiny tiny teeeny gap on the other side. Below link is an image of someone else’s car but mine was like this. Also when going over moderate jumps loud banging / snare drum sounds could be heard. I think the liftgate was also misaligned because my tail light plastic did not meet up well with the corresponding plastic which was on the rear car body panel. The rear trunk panel gaps were not symmetrical. One was tiny and other large. FirstbzsC said all is good. Second sc said out of spec. 🤷‍♂️

Appreciate the details. I have exactly the same thing... I adjusted the rubber stoppers to "make" them even, one stopper has to stick out a lot more than the other.

I guess this might be the "root cause". I will try SC again.

What did the SC inspect? Is your liftgate glass flush with the Top Glass?

My SC appointment is next week and I simply will not accept “within spec” as an answer. I’m hopeful in my situation since the liftgate glass is bowed and not fully adhered. I suspect the seal isn’t 100% and maybe causing negative cabin pressure for the constant low bass resonance.

I tried the 4 rubber stops and didn’t help much. The right side is slightly extended more compared to the left side. From what I can assess, the liftgate isn’t 100% aligned to the body.

What did the SC inspect? Is your liftgate glass flush with the Top Glass?

My SC appointment is next week and I simply will not accept “within spec” as an answer. I’m hopeful in my situation since the liftgate glass is bowed and not fully adhered. I suspect the seal isn’t 100% and maybe causing negative cabin pressure for the constant low bass resonance.

I tried the 4 rubber stops and didn’t help much. The right side is slightly extended more compared to the left side. From what I can assess, the liftgate isn’t 100% aligned to the body.
They only did a road test I guess. My liftgate glass is flush with the Top Glass and all looks fine from outside after adjusting the 4 rubber stoppers.

However, from inside the trunk with cover closed, I measured the gap between the "loop" and the trunk body edge. The driver side gap is about 2mm wider than the passenger side. In my case, the seal tightness is not balanced between left and right. I explained to a service advisor (in the Peninsula) but did not have a chance to meet with a technician.

I heard that in Fremont SC, technicians sometimes meet directly with customers to explain issues and resolutions together with service advisors.

They only did a road test I guess. My liftgate glass is flush with the Top Glass and all looks fine from outside after adjusting the 4 rubber stoppers.

However, from inside the trunk with cover closed, I measured the gap between the "loop" and the trunk body edge. The driver side gap is about 2mm wider than the passenger side. In my case, the seal tightness is not balanced between left and right. I explained to a service advisor (in the Peninsula) but did not have a chance to meet with a technician.

I heard that in Fremont SC, technicians sometimes meet directly with customers to explain issues and resolutions together with service advisors.
Did you do a test drive with them? For my Model 3 last year, Fremont SC would always have a service technician drive with me as a passenger to replicate the issue.

Since your liftgate glass is flush, this gives me a little less hope that a likely replacement of my liftgate glass will help with the cabin booms.

I’m going to ask them to also inspect the suspension and struts since defect ones might be produced the extra cabin sounds and vibrations. If all of this doesn’t ultimately resolve, I’m highly considering selling my brand new Y and either get an IONIQ 5 or Mach-E.

I did not have a chance for a test drive with them last time.

I would try to talk to a technician on the seal alignment from inside the trunk. Of course outside misalignment also indicates problem inside. Hopefully they are willing to do the fine adjustment.

I did not have a chance for a test drive with them last time.

I would try to talk to a technician on the seal alignment from inside the trunk. Of course outside misalignment also indicates problem inside. Hopefully they are willing to do the fine adjustment.
If you return to the SC, definitely do a test drive with the technician.

Yeah, I’m going to ask if the liftgate is sealing correctly since the liftgate isnt 100% aligned. Since the left is lower and the right is higher, it seems like it may not be sealing tightly upon closing. Hopefully they actually repair so this headache goes away.

Took delivery of a MYLR in September, Fremont build. Had an ear infection a decade or so ago that left me SUPER sensitive to pressure changes, like a few hundred vertical feet of change and I'm pop'ing my ears. That being said, no issues with the MY.

I know it doesn't help your case, but anecdotally its not EVERY MY.

Status
Not open for further replies.