Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have in the past put tints on all my sides and rear since generally it is just dyed glass that has little heat or UV protection. Is that the case with the X? do they actually have heat and UV protection from factory? (don't really care about the way it looks Just want that protection for my kids.)

Yes, Tesla's newer glass provides much heat and UV protection as shown in my post above (Sept. 25th, 2023)....tested with solar BTU meters. :cool:

Only the front and lower windshield offer lower heat reduction/IR protection. No reason to do any more windows than those unless you're in an extreme environment IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmk712
I have in the past put tints on all my sides and rear since generally it is just dyed glass that has little heat or UV protection. Is that the case with the X? do they actually have heat and UV protection from factory? (don't really care about the way it looks Just want that protection for my kids.)
Actually all the glass has very good UV protection, even the front. That is why Transitions glasses don't work very well in Teslas, or other cars for that matter. Tinting the rear and top glass won't hurt anything, but the U/V protection is already in the glass. It is basically unnecessary.

Reactions: dmk712
Yes, Tesla's newer glass provides much heat and UV protection as shown in my post above (Sept. 25th, 2023)....tested with solar BTU meters. :cool:

Only the front and lower windshield offer lower heat reduction/IR protection. No reason to do any more windows than those unless you're in an extreme environment IMO.

Good thing I read this and saved me a bunch of money lol

Reactions: NJturtlePower
Sorry to resurface an older thread, but I could not find anything else.

I just took delivery last week of a 2024 Model X (long range), brand new. I need to do some windows tinting. I think I don't need to do anything for the rear windows, or the back window. They have plenty of tint as it is. I am in Virginia and I was told to tint the windshield I need a medical waiver to be able to pass the safety inspections. So the windshield is out. I also know the legal tint in Virginia is 50%.

So I am thinking of doing the front windows only, Suntek Evolve ceramic, at 50% (although not sure whether that is even visible). The tint shop suggested I do the rear windows too, on top of the OEM tint, for added UV and heat protection, although I am not sure how true that is.

What do you guys think?