Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C'mon how many of us bi-focalies have thought about asking optician about offsetting the reading bit over to the left...
This shows the issue clearly. Very challenging for progressive varifocal users
Screenshot_20230426_183120_Chrome.jpg

I had to take my car to Tesla in Cardiff on Monday morning. It was absolutely hammering down - which I suppose justifies the car's tech deciding you either get no wipers or ramming speed wiping, the car chose the latter.

What was more surprising was to discover that in torrential rain, where auto wipers are on max, the car doesn't feel like you need to have headlights on. Not just my Tesla, but the two others I saw. I only realised after a few minutes, and then set it manually. But how hard could it be that if anything more than intermittent wipers are on, lights should be on too?
Out of interest, why should the headlights be on if it’s raining? Bearing in mind the DRLs are always on, that covers the need to be visible. If your forward visibility is obscured/darkened by the rain, I would like to think the headlights would come on, but if it’s bright enough that you can see ahead without the need for headlights, why should these be on?

Reactions: H43lio
It’s mainly about people behind you being able to see your car. With lights off, DRLs are on, but tail lights aren’t, and with heavy cloud and lots of spray your car (especially if it’s MSM or black) can become difficult to pick out.

I too was surprised the headlights didn’t automatically turn on in heavy rain recently. Tesla need to improve this.

Last edited:
It’s mainly about people behind you being able to see your car. With lights off, DRLs are on, but tail lights aren’t, and with heavy cloud and lots of spray your car (especially if it’s MSM or black) can become difficult to pick out.

I too was surprised the headlights didn’t automatically turn on in heavy rain recently. Tesla need to improve this.
Ah, I mistakenly thought the rear lights were always on alongside the DRLs, but I guess not. Don’t know why I thought that. Though this does explain all the people driving around with no lights at night, when their DRLs are bright enough to look like headlights however they have no lights on at the rear.

Though, as per another post above, in my case I find the headlights come on at the drop of a hat, so if it’s dark enough through cloud cover that visibility may be impaired, then the lights come on, in any event.

The one that gets me is the lights don’t come on in fog. You’d think TV would be smart enough to recognise fog and turn on the headlights for this.

I don't think it is that ... (but I expect Marketing do require a differentiation of some sort)

I think it is so that you know whether AP or YOU are in control. I've had situations where I thought that AP was on, when it wasn't (even when it bonged to tell me - I just didn't register that fact)

EAP bongs too - IF/WHEN it disengages (and when re-engaged). If you happen to let EAP do the overtaking-stuff then it won't bong ... but it will if you have to exert some ascertive infuence :)

My thinking is that those hand control to you for the lane change and then automatically take control back when it is completed? As such it is obvious? which is in control

I've never driven a car that had that, and I've read loads of threads where people said they really like it, but I am sceptical about whether I would know whether I or CAR is in control at any particular time (might just be me though ... I'm dyslexic and have slow-processing for absorption of information)
You have a visual indicator. Like with AP or any other system. Why you won't like it!?

Why you won't like it!?

I'm very unlikely to notice when that (Icon) changes (my slow processing doesn't pick up on things like that unless the colours / styling is pronounced). Quite apart from eyes-on-road [others may detect that out-of-corner-of-eye, but I won't] and more especially since Tesla changed the very clear on/off colours to much more muted and less differentiated colours (à la Apple). Whereas back in 2015 I had no difficulty with what was ON / OFF now I'm never sure (even if, at that moment in time, I am confident that I know which is which ... I will lack confidence (if that doesn't sound too daft!) because I have frequently been not confident in the past.

"Triumph of design over function" and "change for change sake" spring to mind.

I think it is so that you know whether AP or YOU are in control. I've had situations where I thought that AP was on, when it wasn't (even when it bonged to tell me - I just didn't register that fact)
I really think this is why they are adding gear change bongs. You are in stationary traffic, and you think TACC is on. You decide to turn off TACC by flicking the stalk upwards. But TACC wasn't on so you actually, contrary to your expectations, put the car in reverse.

In one of the AI videos they mentioned that AP prevents 40 accelerator mishaps every day. i.e. people thinking they're in drive when in reverse and vice versa. I would guess there are more mishaps that AP didn't detect. So could be people need a bit of extra guidance from the car.

I really think this is why they are adding gear change bongs. You are in stationary traffic, and you think TACC is on. You decide to turn off TACC by flicking the stalk upwards. But TACC wasn't on so you actually, contrary to your expectations, put the car in reverse.
Yeah, I did this. It's a consequence of trying to do everything on one stalk, so the same action has very different results depending on context.

Less than 5seconds of gap needed for the gear changes to happen without pressing the brake. Otherwise the gear won’t change unless you press the brake. For TACC you don’t need to press the brake. But I get your point!

Less than 5seconds of gap needed for the gear changes to happen without pressing the brake

If I'm undersatnding correctly, I do that all the time when manourvring into/out of a tight parking spot, flick D-to-R and R-to-D whilst still in motion - use accelerator for some "reverse thrust" initially, and then to "drive" in the newly selected direction

Reactions: H43lio
If I'm undersatnding correctly, I do that all the time when manourvring into/out of a tight parking spot, flick D-to-R and R-to-D whilst still in motion - use accelerator for some "reverse thrust" initially, and then to "drive" in the newly selected direction
Yes, you can do that if it is less than 5 seconds to change from R - to D or D - to - R, but if you wait for more than 5 seconds you need to press the brake.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Ah, I mistakenly thought the rear lights were always on alongside the DRLs, but I guess not. Don’t know why I thought that. Though this does explain all the people driving around with no lights at night, when their DRLs are bright enough to look like headlights however they have no lights on at the rear.

Ha ha .. I'm glad I'm not the only one to be caught out on that one. My first car with DRL was an Alfa and there was no information whatsoever in the manual about DRL funtionality beyond that they could actually be switched on or off so they were effectively just dipped front lights so I thought the back lights would be on too. People behind me were flashing frequently enough that when I stopped I got out and had a look ... ah ... a bit embarrassing!