Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta on 2023.12.* - when?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got fsd beta with a bunch of others yest etc- so i got opportunity to try out city streets fsd- not exactly smooth- most problematic and those chime in if i have something not set correctly- ie you have your fsd set to creep faster than speed limit. So for me on a 65 mph highway im ok doing 75. Now flash to local road with speed limit at 40. At night with lack of street light and winding road i may want to do 30s etc. Deer possibilities etc etc. Fsd tries to get me up to 46mph. Scary. They need to split the % on local roads ie speedsess below 40 vs being on a highway with open road and able to cruise above 65 with ease.
Appreciate thoughts? I guess i could put margin at 0 above speed limit but as i said 40 at night winding road low visibility i would be spinning wheel lower many times and then i guess spinning up on highway.
I just got back from my first FSDb drive. I was impressed but sometimes it drives like a drunken teenager. I got honked at (with very little traffic) because it paused too long at an unprotected left. It looked like there was an oncoming car but it was stopped or parked.

We often have curbs to separate lanes around intersections. AP would drive right at these for some reason. I was hoping FSDb would have fixed this behavior but, nope, it did the same thing. It's possible the car would swerve at the last moment to avoid damage but I've never done the experiment.

I was already using AP for most of my driving so I'm used to using the right scroll wheel to set the max speed. Also, at least with AP, you can tap on the current speed to set the max speed. You can also tap on the speed limit to do the same.

Maybe someday we will be able to program the speed in different areas but for now I use the scroll wheel a lot.

Reactions: snovvman
My M3 (10 days since delivery) just downloaded 2023.12.10 and I can confirm that I have FSD beta now.

Just did my first ever drive on Fsdb. I have to admit it was a little scary. Drunken teen behavior is the best way to describe it.
Congrats on the car and on getting FSDb!

It took me a while to learn how to use auto-pilot well. I expect there will be a similar learning curve for FSDb. One thing that helped was thinking of it as driver assistance, not driver replacement.

Back when I was young and foolish I taught a friend to drive in NYC with three words: follow that cab!

Reactions: JHCCAZ
Finally got fsd beta with a bunch of others yest etc- so i got opportunity to try out city streets fsd- not exactly smooth- most problematic and those chime in if i have something not set correctly- ie you have your fsd set to creep faster than speed limit. So for me on a 65 mph highway im ok doing 75. Now flash to local road with speed limit at 40. At night with lack of street light and winding road i may want to do 30s etc. Deer possibilities etc etc. Fsd tries to get me up to 46mph. Scary. They need to split the % on local roads ie speedsess below 40 vs being on a highway with open road and able to cruise above 65 with ease.
Appreciate thoughts? I guess i could put margin at 0 above speed limit but as i said 40 at night winding road low visibility i would be spinning wheel lower many times and then i guess spinning up on highway.

At this point in the weirdness of beta it seems important to state which version of beta you got and ideally what software you came from.

I’m on 11.4.1 after coming from 11.3.6. But others are getting 11.3.6 and not the same 11.3.6 I had. Well it’s the same beta, I believe, but one 11.3.6 was released before 11.4.1 and the other 11.3.6 was released after. Neither the current 11.3.6 or the prior 11.4.1 have really rolled out wildly and while people are still getting downloads it’s soooooo slowwwww.

So confusing what Tesla is intentionally or unintentionally trying to do here, what’s the next major step, and when will that happen.

We seems to be on a great path there for a while with multiple releases almost one right after the other. Then after 11.4.1 hit everything went sideways and is only getting more messy.

It is the same Beta since any changes in code would have been at least a 11.3.7 version.
Meant not the same release with beta in it but likely the same beta. Likely only difference being the 2022.45 and 2023.12 builds.

We’ve had beta revert before but I don’t recall where beta was reverted while at the same time bumping the base build.

It’s also possible there was very under the hood differences in the two 11.3.6 builds that didn’t warrant even point increase. There have been under the hood changes before. But unlikely.

Why not pull back 11.4.1 if newer releases are reverting back to 11.3.6.

11.4.1 has been fine for me and personally better than 11.3.6 or other 11.3.xxx releases as I went through several in quick succession.

It almost feels like they’re chasing two parallel paths.

It’s unclear why they didn’t pull 11.4.1 if they’re going back to 11.3.6. Likewise why not just go back to the 2022 (version) build of 11.3.6 instead of a new 2023 that’s even above 11.4.1. And why are both just a trickle in terms of pushes.

Personally I have what I need right now in terms on infotainment related features and likewise the beta build.

This is all more discussion purposes. With all the new owners and with all these new owners or existing owners finally getting into beta things must be even more frustrating, and confusing for them.

Like usual something will shake loose in days or weeks and maybe we’ll get clarity as to why these versions went out this way. Musk has been quiet for the most part. Either way something else will come along in short order.

It is a conundrum 🤔 or what we call Tesla policies. 🤣 One problem is HW4 cars can't use 11.3.x so moving them to 23.12.x would remove Beta access. I suspect we will see 11.4.2 any day now. But it will be a limited rollout and likely will need a couple more version point releases before it is ready for widespread. Think releasing 23.12.10/11.3.6 was a quick and easy stop gap to offer a known Beta to all users that could be pushed out with minimal bugs (like 11.4.1 has).

Last edited:
Why not pull back 11.4.1 if newer releases are reverting back to 11.3.6.
Because they still want to test 11.4.1.

I think the overarching goal was to get FSDb integrated with the most recent firmware. They tried it with 11.4.1, but it was apparently too ambitious and they had to stop because that version of FSDb wasn't going to be able to go wide anytime soon. So if the integration was a priority, they grabbed the last wide release of FSDb, integrated it with the 2023 firmware and sent it out. It's a limited release because they usually start out limited. If no cars blow up during the next week, I expect to see a wide release. I hope it will include those of us on 2022 firmware with FSDb 11.3.6.

Drunken teen behavior is the best way to describe it.
My experiences have been different. I guess it's a matter of perspective. I went into this knowing that it is not full autonomy. My drives included round-abouts, unprotected turns, and complex intersections. I monitored it carefully and took over whenever needed. It is not perfect by any stretch, but for what it does, I thought it did rather well. This is not to say that there were no instances where I said to the car--uh, what are you doing, I'm taking over.

At the same time, with semi-autonomous cars from other manufacturers in my stable, I was surprised to find that the Tesla FSDb does not do as well in certain situations. Still, cool techs to play with!

My experiences have been different. I guess it's a matter of perspective. I went into this knowing that it is not full autonomy. My drives included round-abouts, unprotected turns, and complex intersections. I monitored it carefully and took over whenever needed. It is not perfect by any stretch, but for what it does, I thought it did rather well. This is not to say that there were no instances where I said to the car--uh, what are you doing, I'm taking over.

At the same time, with semi-autonomous cars from other manufacturers in my stable, I was surprised to find that the Tesla FSDb does not do as well in certain situations. Still, cool techs to play with!
Honestly it feels you're saying the same thing. He said "drunken teenager", you described in more detail, but to me the "uh, what are you doing" moments are basically "drunken teenager"

I concur and feel the same. I agree it's "cool tech to play with", but I really don't find it to be reducing stress in any way. It's incredibly ambitious, it's amazing, Tesla is on the bleeding edge trying things no one else is attempting, but you have to watch it like a hawk and be really ready to save it every drive. It has never saved me, I save it. Again, cool, in terms of beta testing a science project but as a $15,000 feature touted as a "safety feature", eh... no.

The other manufacturer systems are also "just assist" systems, and are much less ambitious, but they work solidly. The equivalent of TACC is better in every other manufacturer at this point, IMO. Literally every manufacturer holds the lane perfectly well now, rock solid reliably, with no "phantom braking" (which I still get consistently even with FSD Beta). BMW and Mercedes hold their lane perfectly well, and also change lanes well. Multiple manufacturers also "emergency stop" in the event you have a heart attack or become incapacitated at the wheel. Tesla will shut off and drive off a cliff after warning you.

I can see why outside of hardcore Tesla enthusiasts, this "pot luck" science project approach is really not appealing even if, at it's absolute best, yeah it's impressive. The safety features cars have now, whereby "adaptive cruise" systems will escalate warnings until they eventually decide you're dead, then turn on hazards, slowly come to a safe stop, and call for help feel years beyond Tesla at this point.

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44
I am on 2023.12.300.1 now - what's the best way to get to FSD beta? I hate why it has to be so confusing...

Osho

Do not update to any new version, stay on what you have now. There is no version of software that is newer than what you currently have, which means you have to wait until Tesla releases a version that includes FSDb for you to have FSDb.

If you bought FSD, you can request beta now and just wait.
If you plan to subscribe for the purpose of getting FSDb, then wait until Tesla releases a newer-than-.12.300.1 with FSDb, then subscribe and request FSDb.

I wrote this in response to another question, but has some related answers for you: Wiki - MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

Reactions: JulienW