Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you can do that if it is less than 5 seconds to change from R - to D or D - to - R, but if you wait for more than 5 seconds you need to press the brake.
<5mph seems to be the critical factor:

You can only shift into Reverse when Model 3 is stopped or moving less than 5 mph (8 km/h).
You can shift into Drive when Model 3 is stopped or moving less than 5 mph (8 km/h) in Reverse.

It’s mainly about people behind you being able to see your car. With lights off, DRLs are on, but tail lights aren’t, and with heavy cloud and lots of spray your car (especially if it’s MSM or black) can become difficult to pick out.

I too was surprised the headlights didn’t automatically turn on in heavy rain recently. Tesla need to improve this.
Just turn on the little blinker lights... I do that most of the time anyway because i think the car just looks cooler with the tail light lit up (and no there is no safety hazard to this even in bright sunlight).

1682606792629.png

My mistake remembered the 5 but looks like it is the mph! Thanks @init6. But wondering in stationary traffic where the car is not moving without pressing the brake whether we can change from D- to - R or R-to-D?. I know you can’t change to D or R at the start without pressing the brake.
Yes, but only if the car does not go into park.
You must press the brake pedal to shift out of Park.

• Helpful
Reactions: spdpsba
I had my first ever accidental acceleration a couple of days ago. Pulling up to the driveway, turn to the left and put it in reverse. Look over my shoulder to reverse into the drive...only I haven't put it in reverse its in drive still. That was a surprise but luckily a slow motion one and I backed off immediately rather than flooring it :)

so I'm good with the bongs.

It’s mainly about people behind you being able to see your car. With lights off, DRLs are on, but tail lights aren’t, and with heavy cloud and lots of spray your car (especially if it’s MSM or black) can become difficult to pick out.

I too was surprised the headlights didn’t automatically turn on in heavy rain recently. Tesla need to improve this.
I'm sure lights came on with wipers when I first had the car. Odd that it has changed.

Heads up. Just had a bit of a tug of war with the app during final stages of install, just before, and during the reboot.

Car decided that, even though it was on a scheduled charge, it was going to start charging. I got tipped off by app notifying me of charge starting. Even before the reboot, I could stop charge in app, but a few seconds later, it would start charging again. Confirmed by standing next to smart meter. The app then said that car was rebooting, and still charging. Even setting charge limit to < current SoC it would not stop.

Not the end of the world as in the end I could physically go out to the car and try and stop it then, but may not be so helpful for those that do update and are not close to the car. Never ever had this before in nearly 70 updates.

• Informative
Reactions: H43lio
I thought the back lights would be on too

Me too, but in my case I first encountered DRL on hire cars in USA - '90s I think, might have been 80's. They cast enough light in front of me (dipped headlights I expect) that on highway with other traffic returning to hotel in evening that it never occurred to me that rear lights were not also on. Seems odd to me that lights at the front are deemed helpful during the day, but the ones at the back aren't also helpful?

Reactions: Adopado
Just turn on the little blinker lights... I do that most of the time anyway because i think the car just looks cooler with the tail light lit up (and no there is no safety hazard to this even in bright sunlight).

View attachment 932350
I think the problem with this would be the headlights wouldn’t then automatically turn on at dusk - so you could end up driving around with only front side lights on, until you eventually realise.

Fair point. I guess it might be possible to get some specifically for driving with the lower part tuned for the screen distance rather than a book maybe? But since i dont actally wear glasses except readers i know little about this.
Would varifocals work?
Any fixes for a retina bleed, screwing up the macula in the right eye? ..7 eye lea injections in, still not 100%.
😉

Maybe it's so blind people can drive?

In all seriousness, it's the classic case of an audible warning is great, but when everything bings and bongs, you stop listening.
I spent 12 months at Sellafield nuclear plant.
On site there is/was an alarm that sounds constantly.
After a while you don't notice it but I was told that if it did ever fall silent , you'd notice it...just before you started to glow.

• Funny
Reactions: Cardo and Dilly