Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023.20.7 Auto installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

OxBrew

Sep 23, 2021
Spokane WA
Just got a notification that the software update was starting, and I could stop it in 2 minutes in the app. I did not see it in time (actually working and stuff).

Wife went to go to the store, and it was 10% done, could not drive it. Had to take the old beater.

No users started the install, confirmed that.

I'm really not happy. I'd heard about this happening, but never confirmed it. We are super careful not to start the update, all users are really aware of it. We have trips planned this weekend, did not want to risk the new version having issues.

I might start a service ticket, just to see what happened, and log a complaint.

Was on 20.4.1

Had the same thing this week. Install now/Schedule window came up once before a trip. I chose Schedule and went on my way. Next day update was installed without any confirmation. Also was on 20.4.1
If you selected schedule, it did what it should. It's been a while since I scheduled, but I believe it only gives you a time.

Right, but it didn’t give me any time option, as it has in the past.
But you hit schedule...you should have known it would have installed.

The thing with the updates is that it's easy to accidentally approve them. My wife has twice.

I doubt Tesla will do anything about this unless it becomes a common issue as it could just as easily be user error, even if the user doesn't remember or understand they did it.

Reactions: derotam and MP3Mike
In the past when I hit schedule it would bring up another screen where I could pick a time to install. Otherwise how would I know when the scheduled time to install would be? AFAIK there is no default time to install.
I believe the default time is 2:00am, but you should be able to change that once you select the Schedule option. I haven’t installed any updates from the touchscreen lately, I just do it from the app, which doesn’t have a Schedule option (if I recall correctly).

My range/percentage calculation has been schizophrenic since installing this on my Long Range Plus X. Will park it at 45% and come back at 47%, and range calculation on long road trips resets abruptly. Like something with the BMS is confused. Also doesn't seem to sleep as readily.

My range/percentage calculation has been schizophrenic since installing this on my Long Range Plus X. Will park it at 45% and come back at 47%, and range calculation on long road trips resets abruptly. Like something with the BMS is confused. Also doesn't seem to sleep as readily.
I noticed twice now that it indicated 2-4% higher SOC than I had set it for to charge to overnight. Never seen that before. It had always been right on or 1% below.

This is new and different behavior on a car that I’ve owned for nearly 3 years - something is not right, this is not normal for this car, and I am aware of what a BMS does
Agree, this is different than the +/- 2-3% you expect with day/ night temp swings. It's a sudden 5% drop off a cliff as you start driving, and also back to the minus 10-15% accuracy on SOC predictions over an 80 mile trip, for example.

I do the same drive from home to cabin every weekend. When it's working, it predicts within 5% at arrival both ways. Now it can be off by as much as 15%.

This is not new, seems like every 4th update reverts to this broken BMS behavior, so now I need to go to my back up charge plan where I always add 10-15% buffer to what the car thinks it needs to get to my next stop.

What's also odd is it's been relatively accurate with its initial estimate, for instance, arrival percentage was 12% on a predicted 18-20% over 240 miles starting from 100%, driving at 70-80mph in good weather that's about what you'd expect (calc is usually about right if im driving the speed limit-ish, usually a little too optiimistic if I'm going with the flow of fast-lane traffic), but occasionally during the drive for no reason at all it would just crater and even started sending me to a charger at one point, which I knew was wrong so ignored it and 15 miles later, no longer asking me to charge halfway. Bizarre.

• Informative
Reactions: OxBrew
What's also odd is it's been relatively accurate with its initial estimate, for instance, arrival percentage was 12% on a predicted 18-20% over 240 miles starting from 100%, driving at 70-80mph in good weather that's about what you'd expect (calc is usually about right if im driving the speed limit-ish, usually a little too optiimistic if I'm going with the flow of fast-lane traffic), but occasionally during the drive for no reason at all it would just crater and even started sending me to a charger at one point, which I knew was wrong so ignored it and 15 miles later, no longer asking me to charge halfway. Bizarre.
I've seen that exact behavior in past SW versions. sucks to see this again.